By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei NINE on XBOX

sc94597 said:
There are many reasons why fragile sold less than Eternal sonata first day. Firstly Eternal Sonata had much larger budget no matter how you put it, even when fragile probably has a larger budget than most wii games. Secondly it was a traditional rpg while fragile is an Action Adventure/RPG hybrid. Thirdly fragile is far more niche and in a much more niche genre. Eternal Sonata was the first "real" Jrpg this generation. Fragile had small shipments and probably will sellout its first week shipment. Wii games are much less front loaded no matter the genre. Fragile has much less advertisement. I could go on with many more reasons. Also I never seen the Userbase x times more as a valid excuse because it doesn't matter. What matters is how much profit a game makes, or how less it loses, and to a lesser extent how much it sells(which is tied in with profit). Fragile will probably end up with Eternal Sonata numbers at the end of its lifetime in Japan and still made much more money/lost much less money than Eternal Sonata just because it had a smaller budget. Also I bet you Fragile would have sold just as much on PS3 or 360 if all the conditions were the same on those consoles. So no matter how you put it the Wii is a equally or even better choice to put a Rpg on than the other consoles. An existing series will probably sell just as much as it would on the other consoles as well. Just look at how much the Spin-Off Dawn of The New World sold in comparison to the main series title, even in regions where the difference between the 360 and Wii isn't as massive.

So what, 500k vs 7+ million is a point not worth considering?

Beats me

I agree it will sell as much, but all your points are countered by the fact that the 360 had a MINISCULE userbase. Other non-traditional RPGs have sold well, Valkyrie Profile being an example

Around the Network
Egghead said:
sc94597 said:
There are many reasons why fragile sold less than Eternal sonata first day. Firstly Eternal Sonata had much larger budget no matter how you put it, even when fragile probably has a larger budget than most wii games. Secondly it was a traditional rpg while fragile is an Action Adventure/RPG hybrid. Thirdly fragile is far more niche and in a much more niche genre. Eternal Sonata was the first "real" Jrpg this generation. Fragile had small shipments and probably will sellout its first week shipment. Wii games are much less front loaded no matter the genre. Fragile has much less advertisement. I could go on with many more reasons. Also I never seen the Userbase x times more as a valid excuse because it doesn't matter. What matters is how much profit a game makes, or how less it loses, and to a lesser extent how much it sells(which is tied in with profit). Fragile will probably end up with Eternal Sonata numbers at the end of its lifetime in Japan and still made much more money/lost much less money than Eternal Sonata just because it had a smaller budget. Also I bet you Fragile would have sold just as much on PS3 or 360 if all the conditions were the same on those consoles. So no matter how you put it the Wii is a equally or even better choice to put a Rpg on than the other consoles. An existing series will probably sell just as much as it would on the other consoles as well. Just look at how much the Spin-Off Dawn of The New World sold in comparison to the main series title, even in regions where the difference between the 360 and Wii isn't as massive.

Beats me

I agree it will sell as much, but all your points are countered by the fact that the 360 had a MINISCULE userbase. Other non-traditional RPGs have sold well, Valkyrie Profile being an example

Um yeah? Do you think a developer or publisher is going to say our game made X amount of dollars on a userbase of 7 million and our other game made less X dollars but it was on a userbase of 500k so the second game is sucessful and we will be making games for the less profitable but higher attached rate console. That makes no sense at all. Third Parties choose which they could make the most profit on, not which sells more compared to its overall userbase.

sc94597 said:
Egghead said:
sc94597 said:

Beats me

Um yeah? Do you think a developer or publisher is going to say our game made X amount of dollars on a userbase of 7 million and our other game made less X dollars but it was on a userbase of 500k so the second game is sucessful and we will be making games for the less profitable but higher attached rate console. That makes no sense at all. Third Parties choose which they could make the most profit on, not which sells more compared to its overall userbase.

You know what, youre right, Wii games cost nothing to make, and HD games never break even, its the reason why so many companies are going bust. Its also a garuntee that Fragile will not only make it overseas, but outsell Eternal Sonata.

Also, sorry im late to the party, but Atlus are with me too, we just realised 360 is the biggest console in Japan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350394

Egghead said:
sc94597 said:
Egghead said:
sc94597 said:

Beats me

You know what, youre right, Wii games cost nothing to make, and HD games never break even, its the reason why so many companies are going bust. Its also a garuntee that Fragile will not only make it overseas, but outsell Eternal Sonata.

Also, sorry im late to the party, but Atlus are with me too, we just realised 360 is the biggest console in Japan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350394

Why are we talking about million sellers. This is a SMT atlus game! It is not going to be a blockbuster. Here is the deal: Most hardcores have an hd + a wii. Some have 360, some have ps3. Most hardcore rpg fans are split too, since you have so4 and vc, etc on different platforms. Put the nich games on the wii. They sell as well as hd ones, they have lower production costs and the fanbase will be there. I like atlus and gust games but if you think I am going to buy a ps3 for them you are wrong. And I know ALOT of niche rpgs fans that will not either.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Somehow, I think Soriku talking about Fragile beating Eternal Sonata won't happen. Heck, Fragile may not even make it to Eternal Sonata's opening week for it's LTD number. We're at week #3, and it's just north of 35,000 units. Abysmal.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Somehow, I think Soriku talking about Fragile beating Eternal Sonata won't happen. Heck, Fragile may not even make it to Eternal Sonata's opening week for it's LTD number. We're at week #3, and it's just north of 35,000 units. Abysmal.

I think it will beat Eternal Sonata in the end, but still, theres no shying away from the fact that its sold poorly given the userbase

As to the other poster, in regards to Fragile, youre right, the game cost less, but lets not forget that ES wasnt exactly Crysis graphics. I mean sure, it looked nice, but the graphics are still simple in nature. I honestly dont think Fragile cost that much less.

Egghead said:
mrstickball said:

I think it will beat Eternal Sonata in the end, but still, theres no shying away from the fact that its sold poorly given the userbase

As to the other poster, in regards to Fragile, youre right, the game cost less, but lets not forget that ES wasnt exactly Crysis graphics. I mean sure, it looked nice, but the graphics are still simple in nature. I honestly dont think Fragile cost that much less.

Care to explain how in the world Fragile will beat Eternal Sonata?

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Fragile%3A+Sayonara+Tsuki+no+Haikyo+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Trusty+Bell+-+PS3&reg3=Japan&game3=Eternal+Sonata+-+X360&weeks=20

Looks like Fragile is off by 22,000 units vs. Eternal Sonata in Japan, and had the same # of sales in Week #3. Very unlikely, sir. Unless you have a better explanation vs. what we're seeing, currently.

richardhutnik said:
TheInfectedBy590 said:
same mistake, sending RPGs the 360 way, haven't developers learned this already?

Trying to have them stay on PS3 only doesn't work as well as having them go portable, or staying on the PS2 it appears.  Outside of WKC in Japan, exactly what JRPGs have done well on the PS3?

How many JRPGs are on the PS3, besides WKC? Eternal Sonata? That year old port? Don't try to not include WKC because it has outsold EVERY 360 JRPG in Japan

BMaker11 said:
richardhutnik said:
TheInfectedBy590 said:
same mistake, sending RPGs the 360 way, haven't developers learned this already?

Trying to have them stay on PS3 only doesn't work as well as having them go portable, or staying on the PS2 it appears.  Outside of WKC in Japan, exactly what JRPGs have done well on the PS3?

How many JRPGs are on the PS3, besides WKC? Eternal Sonata? That year old port? Don't try to not include WKC because it has outsold EVERY 360 JRPG in Japan

Correct my if I'm wrong, but just because WKC did well in Japan doesn't mean it's going to beat out the 360 JRPGs in the West, does it? Eternal Sonata's US sales for the PS3 got HAMMERED in relation to Japanese sales. While ES in Japan on PS3 managed a very respectible ~60,000 (to the 360 version at 80,000), the US version bombed with only ~50,000, versus 200,000 for the 360 version.

Oh, and need I mention the PS3 JRPG enthusiasts sore spot? Valkyria Chronicles? Yeah. The PS3 doesn't have a great precident of sales in the west for JRPGs.

Seventh Best selling Game on Xbox ???
And you supported your thread with that ???

Weird

I mean if you supported your thread with "Vesperia and Last remanant sold more than 100,000" it would have been i better thing

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)