By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei NINE on XBOX

They can also go PS2/Wii multiplat. This would not only give them a perspective of potential sales on the Wii, but it would also give the hint to their PS2 fanbase that the Wii will be Atlus' next focus.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
@outlaw

That is true, but they could've always gone PS2 again for DQ IX but didn't. Atlus could've chose the DS for Persona 3/4 but didn't. Maybe they'd just like to stick with consoles with low dev costs (PS2 and Wii).

OT: lol, 50k sure is gonna get them excited. Also, I heard that it was a crappy game anyway. Oh, and another thing I heard was after the game bombed, they used the engine (that MS gave them for SMT: Nine) to make the PS2 games. I doubt they'd make the same mistake again of not choosing the console with the lowest cost and best ability to sell RPGs (the Wii. Or they might just stick with the PS2 again, but I kinda doubt that. Could be wrong though).

Clearly, the system that can sell a game like Persona is not the 360. Not the PS3. Only the Wii, PS2, or handhelds. I'm gonna assume Wii if they decide to move from the PS2. Besides, Atlus' games on the Wii have sold well (Trauma Center is over 500k). Atlus has 0 developed HD games.

If the Wii is the only way, why do darker RPGs that seem much more akin to the style of SMT and Persona do poorly (I'm talking Fragile)

As you know, the SMT and Persona is extremely different in style and fanbase than most RPGs.

Because...Fragile is a new IP from a niche dev (tri-Crescendo's games never sell well) while Persona is an established franchise?

You do realise that Eternal Sonata sold more than double what Fragile did on its first day?

Egghead said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
@outlaw

That is true, but they could've always gone PS2 again for DQ IX but didn't. Atlus could've chose the DS for Persona 3/4 but didn't. Maybe they'd just like to stick with consoles with low dev costs (PS2 and Wii).

OT: lol, 50k sure is gonna get them excited. Also, I heard that it was a crappy game anyway. Oh, and another thing I heard was after the game bombed, they used the engine (that MS gave them for SMT: Nine) to make the PS2 games. I doubt they'd make the same mistake again of not choosing the console with the lowest cost and best ability to sell RPGs (the Wii. Or they might just stick with the PS2 again, but I kinda doubt that. Could be wrong though).

Clearly, the system that can sell a game like Persona is not the 360. Not the PS3. Only the Wii, PS2, or handhelds. I'm gonna assume Wii if they decide to move from the PS2. Besides, Atlus' games on the Wii have sold well (Trauma Center is over 500k). Atlus has 0 developed HD games.

If the Wii is the only way, why do darker RPGs that seem much more akin to the style of SMT and Persona do poorly (I'm talking Fragile)

As you know, the SMT and Persona is extremely different in style and fanbase than most RPGs.

Because...Fragile is a new IP from a niche dev (tri-Crescendo's games never sell well) while Persona is an established franchise?

You do realise that Eternal Sonata sold more than double what Fragile did on its first day? 

...And including the fact the 360 had less than 1/20th the install base when ES came out vs. the Wii's install base.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Soriku said:
ES is a traditional JRPG, Fragile is not.

They might not be the same genre, but Fragile is still selin like shit

Soriku said:

So what, the XBOX 360 userbase was something like 500k then, the Wii userbase is as somebody said, almost 20x that...

Around the Network

People need to stop saying that RPG's can't sell on the 360. JRPG's sell decently (not amazingly) and western RPG's sell very very well.

Soriku said:
Doesn't matter.

WKC is a traditional RPG and TWEWY isn't. WKC outsold TWEWY in Japan. Does that mean PS3 sells RPGs better than the DS? No.

It's not always about the userbase. Though a higher userbase means games like Fragile have more potential to sell. You have to consider the type of game it is too.

I agree. I think that TOS2 proved the Wii was a viable platform for these types of games. Fragile shouldn't be used as an example since it's highly debatable whether it's even a JRPG.

Soriku said:
Doesn't matter.

WKC is a traditional RPG and TWEWY isn't. WKC outsold TWEWY in Japan. Does that mean PS3 sells RPGs better than the DS? No.

It's not always about the userbase. Though a higher userbase means games like Fragile have more potential to sell. You have to consider the type of game it is too.

Yet the PS3 has a userbase that is reasonable whereas the 360 had one that is non-existent vs a console that is breaking records

Simply said, theres no way around the fact that the Wii has 20x the consoles and yet it sold half as many units

Soriku said:

Fair enough, but what will the first RPG to sell crazy well? Monster Hunter 3?

Dragon Quest X? Well those prove nothing as they're guaranteed to sell regardless of platform.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
Crazy well? MH3 or DQ X since those are big series and the Wii doesn't have many. Smaller RPGs will still be small regardless of userbase. Higher userbase and lowest cost is best for those types of games though.

Of course, but you still got smaller studios putting new ips and low budget games that sold pretty well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.