By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the PS3 will dominate next gen

I disagree motion controls will be standard. I don't think Sony will have the guts to jump to motion controllers all out and come out with a second controller tht does the motion stuff and motion controls will mostly be unused for most games and work on more "traditional" games and trying to crush the next X-box.

The next X-Box i don't see changing either since it would drastically change FPS games. Which so far is there best genre. They also will likely come out with a secondary control or motion control built in that will rarely be utilized.

I expect their controls to look more like Sixaxis then anything. That's just my guess however.

Around the Network

Kasz216 you are probably right about that only Nintendo will stick with the MC the have now Sony will stick with the way they have MC now and MS might not even implement it.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Soriku said:
^ QFT

Later this gen in 2008/2009 Wii'll get good-great titles till it wins. Once Wii wins devs next gen will flock to Wii 2 like PS1 to PS2.

Did it happen to ps3? from ps2? No.

mM
RolStoppable said:
mitsuhide said:
RolStoppable said:

If the PS3 architecture would be similar to the PS2, developers wouldn't complain how hard it is to program for the PS3. Pretty much every developer was familiar with the PS2, but apparently the PS3 architecture is very different.

Not true the devs did complain about PS2 acrhitecture saying it was to complicated but it started to dominate so they were FORCED to shutup and learn how to make games for it to make profits.

Let's go through this step by step.

Devs complained about the PS2 at first. The PS2 became dominant and devs were forced to learn to work with the hardware. They became familiar with it.

We both agree that devs were familiar with the PS2.

You are saying the PS3 architecture is similar to the PS2's.

So why are devs now complaining about the PS3 architecture to be hard to program for? Obviously because the PS3 architecture is not similar to the PS2 (which devs were familiar with) and devs have to learn from ground up how to utilize the new hardware, especially the Cell and its SPUs.

According to an article I read, the ps3 is easier to program for than the ps2 at this time period.

mM

@Rol:
The point is just because its similar to program doesnt mean its the same difficulty.Its just that the devs are used to X360 architecture and are very used to it but now the PS3 is here and they cant be bothered coding for it because the userbase is "only" 4million against the X360s 10million so they think why not just release everything on the X360 cheaper,less hassle and good profits so they vocie their complaints to make something happen.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network

*STEAM PRESSURE GOING OVER 150% NORMAL CAPACITY*
for the last time people ninty and sony are not the first one to have used motion controle for video game but MS did it with the SideWinder Freestyle Pro gamepad in 1998 and did the first game using it motocross madness (not to bad) and flight simulator (really bad with a six axis motion control pad)

now people have to understand that the only company going down in term of profit in the past 3 years between ninty sony and MS it's Sony.... they have lost 1,1% of their profit since 2005 ans MS improved by 2,5% their profit since 2005.... I don't have the nintendo numbers but they probably are positive too as with the DS and the WII they have to do better than 2005.....
oh and by the way 2,5% more for MS is about a third of what Sony does total profit...
so the only company in real financial trouble right now is Sony....
So dallas you better review your statement....
and it's way too late to get a second place easy for Sony... and in term of profit on that gen they are doomed to 3rd most likely (i'm talking about the company)

now WII lovers I really think WII is going to be on a total different market on the long run..... and you'll see a lot of WII60 or WIIPS3 combo by the end of the gen.....
WII is the only real console left.... the 2 other are more multimedia platforms for the living room...
now what people will choose on the long run ???? the console alone , the console+ the multimedia platform or the tendency is going to shift to the multimedia platforms....
I think if WII wants to install a real domination for next next gen they have to largelly beat Sony and MS sale combine.... if people are piggy backing one way or another... it's not good for WII as the next gen will try to get what WII has and integrate it in the new multimedia platform.... and people who had a WII60 or a WIIPS3.... will then just take the multimedia solution.....
WII has to absolutely avoid the WII60 or WIIPS3 configuration.... to succeed on the long run

oh and they never got used really to the PS2 processor.... the games on PS2 were great thanks to video most of the time..... the actual games themselves never achieved the supposed capacity of the emotion engine or what ever marketing name they found for it that time...
So saying they got used to it not really... it's more people got used to pre calculated video and average graphics....

I just really like the thread title: "Why the PS3 will dominate next gen"

I know what he means but my first thought was: "Whats wrong ??? Has he given this one up alredy ???" 

El Duderino said:

I just really like the thread title: "Why the PS3 will dominate next gen"

I know what he means but my first thought was: "Whats wrong ??? Has he given this one up alredy ???"

yeah same here :P