By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
dgm6780 said:
long pointless rant

Around the Network

I'm wondering if there's any major (negative) commentary from the 360/Wii/PS2 versions of the game.

Otherwise, it just sounds like EA is picking sides in this generation (which in all fairness is completely their call -- the PS3 is expensive as hell to develop for, and holds less than a sixth of the market right now)

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

omgwtfbbq said:
Mummelmann said:
EA likes quick profits, and right now the PS3 can't yield that.
Until it can, expect lame excuses and shoddy ports from EA, then once it gets more popular we'll hear how it's not so hard to work on anyway and how they like to work on the BluRay format and so on and so forth...

Pathetic... I'm glad EA is mostly not involved in developing or publishing my favourite franchises!

So basically you want companies to continue to pour money into PS3 games that they cannot possibly break a profit from?

For what reason, exactly, should publishers be willing to do this?

I'm not saying EA are jerks because the don't prioritize the console with the smallest user base, I'm just flustered at their statements when they use stupid excuses instead of saying it as it is; the PS3 is just not profitable enough for us at this point. Ranting on about how idiotic Sony were to use the Cell and how hard it is to develop games on will just cause damage to Sony, and in turn EA themselves, which can make good profits like they always have on the PS brand in the future.

Right? 

omgwtfbbq said:

So basically you want companies to continue to pour money into PS3 games that they cannot possibly break a profit from?

For what reason, exactly, should publishers be willing to do this? 

I dont believe it. They didnt pour a lot of money into the development of this game.  It might have took a lot of money to finish it, but it aint finished.  It looks like they didnt even play test it for more then 5 minutes.  I will be renting the PS2 version soon to see how buggy it is. 

Game being crap be damned, I would be willing to wager this game turns a profit.  It should easily sell 500K - 750K by January.

I mean a game where the CPU just up and punts on 3rd down on my side of the field with less then 10 seconds left screams UNFINISHED title, not a $60 big name game. 

What are the odds they release a legitimate patch for the PS3 game?

oh and screw you too twesern - the point was to show just how unfinished and broke this $60 game is.

HappySqurriel said:

I think people are so mad at EA because they're starting to come to terms with why it is (nearly) impossible for any console to come from behind to win a generation.

Generally speaking a trailing console gets far less games, a large portion of the games the trailing console gets are quick and inferior ports, and developers openly bad-mouth it as an excuse as to why their game sales didn't meet expectations.

Look at shams post right above yours. Your post has nothing to do with what is going on.

How about the Wii not even getting NCAA Football 2008? I much prefer that game and it sells millions every year. No game on the Wii.

Explain that.

Edit: I'd like to add that I just bought NCAA Football 08 for the PS3. For years I've played the "inferior" version on the PS2 when compared to the xbox. From reviews and screenshots/videos that I've seen, the versions are very close and the 60/30fps is not as big a deal as people make it out to be. But then, I prefer recruiting to playing now (and load times are much better with a hard drive). Either way, it's much better than not getting the game at all on the Wii.

Around the Network
shams said:

EA seems to be the master to doing the "minimum" required to get a game to market. Lots of marketing, minimum development required - and as many titles as possible to hurt the competition. Jack of all, master of none.

EA have seen their position slip recently - overtaken by Activision (mainly on the back of Guitar Hero, Spiderman & Transformers). I predict that you will see this continue - and EA will continue to slip, until there is a major refocus at the company on quality - something they haven't cared about for a long, long time.

So Activision on the back of one good game (Guitar Hero) and two mediocre to lousy games (Spiderman and Transformers)?  How is that an example of quality, they don't sound much different from EA based on the examples you give.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

misteromar said:
EA have pretty much said screw the ps3 by the sounds of things. Cant blame them though, to many developers the ps3 is sinking ship and they want to get off. Sony fans cant keep blaming 3rd partys because its sonys fault for making such monstrousity to work on. Its just like n64 for third partys except, I doubt sony will be savy enough to still make profit like Nintendo did or that sony fans will be as loyal as Nintendo fans were during there hard times.

The problems are also on the X360 issue.

WiteoutKing said:
I'm wondering if there's any major (negative) commentary from the 360/Wii/PS2 versions of the game.

Otherwise, it just sounds like EA is picking sides in this generation (which in all fairness is completely their call -- the PS3 is expensive as hell to develop for, and holds less than a sixth of the market right now)

Well, I heard the Wii version is quite good, but that the online part is close to impossible to play. People have complained about lag and unresponsive controls when passing and kicking (controller movements not working like 50% of the time). But again that's just for online, and most Wii people may not care as much about online. Also I think there's a rumor EA is going to fix the issues. And the rest of the game is supposedly quite good, whereas the PS3 version sounds truly broken.

As for the 360, I gave my opinion above. I'd rate it like a 8.5, and go so far as to say even if someone dislikes Madden or even football in general, it may not be a bad rental. Last year's 360 version was like a 5.5, close to useless.

I definitely don't think it's a sign EA is picking sides, I think the other versions will get better over the years. And if they prioritize fixing the limited problems with the Wii version over the massive game-ruining problems with the PS3 version, I think that's a decision any smart company would make given how the Wii and PS3 are doing.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

konnichiwa said:

The problems are also on the X360 issue.

For this version?  I don't think so.  There are some problems, but it's not only a working game but a decent game.  Even a good game, if judged just against other recent Madden games.

What problems have you heard about other than interceptions and fumbles being too common? 

I was kinda suspecting these issues would be on more then one platform. They have nothing to do specifically with the PS3, just general laziness by EA.