By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
dgm6780 said:
EA has exclusive rights to the NFL. In other genre's I will be avoiding EA at all cost but I cant live without my NFL football.

Well then:

-it's not EA

-it's American football with actual (former) NFL players

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network
MikeB said:

NFL is pretty irrelavant to me, of course this may be of importance to people in the US. IMO realistic American Foothball (like Baseball and Criicket) implementations usually don't make good video games as IMO there are usually too many dead moments in such games. Some less realistic games inspired by Rugby are great though, like for instance Speedball 2, as they don't nearly have as many dead moments and more continuous play like 'soccer'.

American football makes great video games.  I don't think I'm biased, I prefer both baseball and "soccer" to watch in real life, but I think football video games are better.  Baseball is the worst, I'm obsessed with baseball and I've never even bought a baseball video game in the last 10 years because they are terrible.

In terms of how the major team sports rank as video games I'd go:

football

soccer

... (big dropoff)

ice hockey (and i'm not a fan) 

basketball

baseball 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

EA likes quick profits, and right now the PS3 can't yield that.
Until it can, expect lame excuses and shoddy ports from EA, then once it gets more popular we'll hear how it's not so hard to work on anyway and how they like to work on the BluRay format and so on and so forth...

Pathetic... I'm glad EA is mostly not involved in developing or publishing my favourite franchises!

There are some problems to working with the PS3...no doubt about that...but this goes well beyond that. If even half of what the OP said is true, then I think EA probably owes a refund to everyone you bought the flaming turd.

There really isn't much you can say on this...it is what it is.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Mummelmann said:
Until it can, expect lame excuses and shoddy ports from EA, then once it gets more popular we'll hear how it's not so hard to work on anyway and how they like to work on the BluRay format and so on and so forth...

Pathetic... I'm glad EA is mostly not involved in developing or publishing my favourite franchises!

So basically you want companies to continue to pour money into PS3 games that they cannot possibly break a profit from?

For what reason, exactly, should publishers be willing to do this? 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
Mummelmann said:

So basically you want companies to continue to pour money into PS3 games that they cannot possibly break a profit from?

Exactly.

Recently, EA stated that they would have more resources dedicated to 360 development than the PS3. This is what happens when your console has an install base half the size of its competitors, and is expensive to develop for.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

omgwtfbbq said:
Mummelmann said:

Well we dont buy crap ports or unfinished games if they raise the standards of their multiplatform games and ports and finish the unfinished(Madden) games then we will buy them but if they give us crap we will buy accordinglly if they give us good we will buy accordingly.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I agree completely - screw EA. Here are my reasons why:

- Harry Potter (Wii): what started out as a creative and entertaining game, turns into a poor one by the end. The entire last section of the movie/adventure - is completely non-interactive (apart from a couple of lame fights + even lamer wand forcing exercises). The game also has many, many bugs - I even had to restart it once, because I got the game into a state where I could not advance. What started as a score of 7.5 ... turned into a 6, maybe even a 5.5 by the end. Without Wiimote controls, the game would be a 3 or 4. And none of these issues are platform issues - all of them design, gameplay, dev time spent, etc.

- SSX Blur (Wii): I remember playing the first SSX - at the PS2 launch - and loving it. Through whatever reason, I missed all the games in between. When I borrowed SSX Blur from a friend, I was really looking forward to it. Although I managed to warm up to the game in the end, it is still a huge disapointment IMO. The core game is so lacking atmosphere and fun, that the game becomes pointless to play. The whole thing just lacks any form of polish.

- Boogie: Most of us have read the Boogie reviews, and have a fair idea about the game. I haven't played it - but from the sounds of it, it is a game with a potentially interesting design - that has been executed poorly. C'mon EA - you try and create a new, original, innovative franchise/title... and then don't bother to put the time or effort into it. Pathetic.

EA seems to be the master to doing the "minimum" required to get a game to market. Lots of marketing, minimum development required - and as many titles as possible to hurt the competition. Jack of all, master of none.

EA have seen their position slip recently - overtaken by Activision (mainly on the back of Guitar Hero, Spiderman & Transformers). I predict that you will see this continue - and EA will continue to slip, until there is a major refocus at the company on quality - something they haven't cared about for a long, long time. 

When the industry was small, it was easy for a single, HUGE player to dominate. They could share resources, actually devote production facilities/money towards games... and make them pretty cool.

This no longer holds true.

The industry is now huge, and there are several huge players at work. They might produce less content than EA - but this focus ensures that their few products are truly quality ones.

And whereas in the past, there might have been 1 or 2 great games - and 20 EA games - now there are 20 great games, and 40 EA games. 

This might just be the first Xmas (that I can remember) that EA gets solidly beaten by one or more publishers. We just don't need EA (games) anymore - they have become irrelevant.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think people are so mad at EA because they're starting to come to terms with why it is (nearly) impossible for any console to come from behind to win a generation.

Generally speaking a trailing console gets far less games, a large portion of the games the trailing console gets are quick and inferior ports, and developers openly bad-mouth it as an excuse as to why their game sales didn't meet expectations.

HappySqurriel said:

I think people are so mad at EA because they're starting to come to terms with why it is (nearly) impossible for any console to come from behind to win a generation.

Generally speaking a trailing console gets far less games, a large portion of the games the trailing console gets are quick and inferior ports, and developers openly bad-mouth it as an excuse as to why their game sales didn't meet expectations.

There is validity to what you say but I don't know that I agree that the PS3 is really that far gone right now.  I think if sales are not to a level that thoroughly beats the 360 sales by end of June next year then we are in your scenario.  But before then there are still plenty of big games to come that can revive interest.  No one game is going to do it alone it will take a chain of several games coming out that are must haves (not quite Bioshock/Prime 3/SMG level of must haves but up there....).

But I think EA laziness is in part due to what you have said..but it doesn't give them a legit excuse because the PS3 customers are still paying the same amount the 360 owners are paying so they should be able to expect the exact same quality from both versions of the game.

Imagine if the 360 or PC version of bioshock had a similarly large glitches but the other version was perfectly fine.  I doubt anyone would find that acceptable, and it is no different here.  I hope Wii and 360 owners are offended by this as much as PS3 owners are, because if they are willing to do this now you have no room to bitch down the road in 10 or 20 years when the tables are turned and your the one they are shoveling shit to with the same price tag as the gem others are buying. 

To Each Man, Responsibility