By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Power Up: Could '09 be the year PS3 gets back into the game?

A recent European market study, for example, predicted that sales of Blu-ray disc players will triple in 2009. That can only benefit the PS3.

How can Blu-ray disc player sales possibly help PS3 sales (assuming standalone Blu-ray players)?   I understand how the rest of author's points make sense using fanboy logic, but this is just baffeling. 

The extra data storage capacity of Blu-ray means developers can pack more graphics and excitement into their games than they can with the Xbox 360's DVD format.

I forgot, is it 4 or 5 units of excitement per GB?

Around the Network

"units of excitement per GB" LOL good one :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

pfth total BS. Everyone knows that 09' is the year of the gamecube's comback

disolitude said:

Heh...completely uneducated article.

PS3 had great games in 2008...I don't see it haveing better ones in 2009.

PS3 had a bluray drive in 2008...it still has a bluray drive in 2009.

No, Home doesn't look promising.

He's completely ignoring the cost of the system. Even with price drop, Ms may counter...

If only sony wasn't losing so much money and could lower the price sooner than later...even 2008 could have been the year PS3 made a big impact.

How cant it have better games this year? The two stand out titles from 2008 were MGS4 and LBP... now look at this years releases + possibilities: Killzone 2, FF XII, RC future 2, GOW3, Heavyrain and thats just to name a few.

Bluray is picking up the pace faster than ever...

And didnt Home make over a million in its opening month?

as for cost... arent they lowering the cost to make each console by adding a new Cell chip or something?

Your logic is odd...

Carl2291 said:
disolitude said:

He's completely ignoring the cost of the system. Even with price drop, Ms may counter...

If only sony wasn't losing so much money and could lower the price sooner than later...even 2008 could have been the year PS3 made a big impact.

How cant it have better games this year? The two stand out titles from 2008 were MGS4 and LBP... now look at this years releases + possibilities: Killzone 2, FF XII, RC future 2, GOW3, Heavyrain and thats just to name a few.

as for cost... arent they lowering the cost to make each console by adding a new Cell chip or something?

Your logic is odd...

Last year for NEW PS3 owners, which is what matters had MSG4, LBP, Ratchet and Clank, GTA4, Resistance 1 & 2, and I'm sure any PS3 fanboys can make a GINORMOUS list for me if I just post a topic "Just Bought PS3, Recommend me some games"  

So the way I look at it, if the PS3 wasn't flying off shelves with those plenty of huge hyped, budgeted, profile, marketed games on the PS3 then why would I believe those FEW games are gonna do it?    And I STRONGLY believe that we will not see FF13, GOW3, or GT5 this year.  FF13 in Japan, but in holiday time, so what happens the rest of the year when PS3 could be back down to 10k a week?

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Carl2291 said:
disolitude said:

Your logic is odd...

Last year for NEW PS3 owners, which is what matters had MSG4, LBP, Ratchet and Clank, GTA4, Resistance 1 & 2, and I'm sure any PS3 fanboys can make a GINORMOUS list for me if I just post a topic "Just Bought PS3, Recommend me some games"  

So the way I look at it, if the PS3 wasn't flying off shelves with those plenty of huge hyped, budgeted, profile, marketed games on the PS3 then why would I believe those FEW games are gonna do it?    And I STRONGLY believe that we will not see FF13, GOW3, or GT5 this year.  FF13 in Japan, but in holiday time, so what happens the rest of the year when PS3 could be back down to 10k a week?

Okay, I don't know why GTA4 appears on all of these lists. It's a multiplat, hello...

What the PS3 had in 2008:

-MGS4
-LBP
-R2
-VC, but that was never going to sell.

What the PS3 has in 2009:

-Trico
-God of War III
-FF13 (Japan)
-FF Versus 13 (Japan)
-Gran Turismo 5
-Killzone 2
-inFamous
-Heavy Rain
-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Yeah, I'd say 2009's lineup is a fair bit better. But lineup won't save the PS3, only a price cut will. GT5 will help, but can't have any permanent effect alone.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

i hope it does the price cut is wat it really needs to get back in

I wouldn't doubt it coming in 2nd in EU by the end of the year and having some weeks with some impressive sales #

Even if it does come back in it still will have a SW line up that will be pretty damn good and that's wat matters

Play Me

Kantor said:

Okay, I don't know why GTA4 appears on all of these lists. It's a multiplat, hello...

What the PS3 had in 2008:

-MGS4
-LBP
-R2
-VC, but that was never going to sell.

What the PS3 has in 2009:

-Trico
-God of War III
-FF13 (Japan)
-FF Versus 13 (Japan)
-Gran Turismo 5
-Killzone 2
-inFamous
-Heavy Rain
-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Yeah, I'd say 2009's lineup is a fair bit better. But lineup won't save the PS3, only a price cut will. GT5 will help, but can't have any permanent effect alone.

Um every multiplat is counted.  Or do you think that every PS3 owner doesn't buy or even think of multiplat games.

So for my argument still the PS3 at the moment has every exclusive from 06', 07', 08' for it right now, and also all mutliplats for it in those same years.  That list is huge and I'm sure you would agree very pleasing and easily worth the $500.  

So why would someone be tempted to by a PS3 now in 09' vs before based on the few games you listed above.  Japan excluded becuase FF game.    (and I'm still very confident that GOW3 and GT5 not coming out in 09')

But as you said no linup can save PS3 alone.  I'm just saying that most those big games coming out have had tons of games very very similar enough that people would have already boughten the PS3 if those games were enough to make them make the purchase

If killzone 2 can't review better then Halo/Gears it won't sell consoles.
Gears and Halo are still a powerful draw to the 360.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

wow people just love to kick a dead horse.
Everyone said 2008 was the year of the ps3 and it turned out to, arguably, be its worst.

and release after release games haven't helped the ps3.
first it was heavenly sword and then lair.
then mgs4 then LBP and now its Killzone 2.
when are people going to get it in their heads that NO game can help the ps3!

the only thing that can help the ps3 is a price cut. simple.

and no 2009 will not be the year of the ps3.

hello how are you.