By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (1/15)

johnsobas said:
montana i really doubt the ps3 naruto will get to 100k, it'd be lucky to get to 80k probably. That wii game was released in feb. 07 which explains the legs. Multiple Naruto games sold 400k on gamecube, but that was when the anime was at its peak in Japan. Don't really expect much from them anymore.

So the Wii game was released in February, and the PS3 game is going to be released in January. Both slow months in other regions, although they happen to actually be fairly large months in Japan. The PS3 version of Naruto has already sold half a million worldwide, and Japan should add 100k (as I predicted). Given the lower userbase of the PS3, that seems like growth in the series (especially given the Wii Naruto game hitting a million). I may not be as knowledgeable about Naruto as some people, but I'm pretty sure the manga is at its climax right now. It would definitely boost sales.

Around the Network

when i said february 07 i meant it was right after wii came out and it was severely supply constrained that's why the game had such good legs. Naruto may be at its climax in the west but it's mostly run its course in the east.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
when i said february 07 i meant it was right after wii came out and it was severely supply constrained that's why the game had such good legs. Naruto may be at its climax in the west but it's mostly run its course in the east.

For one thing, the game didn't have great legs. It might have had decent legs for an anime-based game, but lifetime sales of 2.5 times the first week is not what I would call "legs." Also, Naruto is definitely at its climax in the east. Spoilers below:

Naruto has just entered Sage Mode and is about to face off against the Akatsuki leader Pain. Sounds pretty climactic to me. On the other hand, the dub anime version in the west is currently running filler.

dude, naruto is far past its prime in the east. It used to be really popular, just look at the sales of the GC games it'll give you an idea. Now you'll find the manga selling in Japan on the 100 yen section. It was the highest selling 3rd party GC game, now it can only sell just over 100k. Sadly 2.5x multiplier is good legs in Japan for any kind of core game on a console. Very few PS3 games that had any decent sized shipment ever made it to 2.5x.

I'm not understanding the point.

So apparently Naruto doesn't sell in Japan, but it's being compared to the Wii version which it just might sell on par with despite having a higher budget on a platform peopleclaims sells more 3rd software?

So Naruto am doomed?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

yea i'm not really sure where this is going. I think it's selling on par with what i expected for a series that is in decline in the east.

Devil Survivor is the surprise for me. I'd thought it'd do much more considering it's a RPG which of course are very front loaded.

And not a good week for Wii releases. 10-20% on first day is terrible.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

johnsobas said:
dude, naruto is far past its prime in the east. It used to be really popular, just look at the sales of the GC games it'll give you an idea. Now you'll find the manga selling in Japan on the 100 yen section. It was the highest selling 3rd party GC game, now it can only sell just over 100k. Sadly 2.5x multiplier is good legs in Japan for any kind of core game on a console. Very few PS3 games that had any decent sized shipment ever made it to 2.5x.

Naruto may be far past its prime sales wise, but that doesn't negate the original point: Naruto on the PS3 being able to sell over 100k in Japan. It definitely wasn't the highest selling 3rd party game on the Gamecube (unless you're talking about Japan only, in which case Naruto: Fighting Ninja Wars 2 was about on par with Resident Evil 0). A 2.5 multiplier could affect games completely randomly, and doesn't depend on whether the game is "core" or "casual." Resident Evil 4 had a terrible multiplier on the Gamecube in Japan (about 1.5 over its first week) whereas Naruto 2 had a multiplier of about 5-6. Both core games.

Claude: Are we talking about budget or expectations? Tons of games on the PS3 have higher budgets than games on the Wii, but the Wii games often sell more (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune versus Carnival Games for example). The Naruto game on the PS3 might equal a game on the Wii despite userbase differences. Albeit, the Wii userbase when its Naruto game launched was much lower than the PS3 userbase now, but the Wii had far fewer titles (Top 50 consisting of Wii series, Zelda, Wario, and the newly launched Fire Emblem and Naruto game).

RPG said:
Shipment's for the Naruto game are low, dont really see why Namco would ship such low numbers.

Yeah, I thought more would be shipped as well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

isnt shipped what retailers order rather than what the publisher wants to ship? or is it a mixture of the two?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia