By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo fans calling for the downfall of hardcore gaming, why?

averyblund said:
One thing that consistently bothers me about PS360 owners is their need to make topics like this all the time in Ninty forums. I very rarely see a thread in an HD forum coming from a Wii fanboy which seeks make HD fans look evil or stupid. Its really irritating that so many in the hardcore find it necessary to rip on the Wii and it's fans. The Wii has some major flaws, so do the HD twins, so why is the trolling so one sided? Lets not forget, that on forums at least most Wii owners are, like you said, actually hardcore gamers. We simply got sick of the graphical tweaks every gen. We still love a lot of "traditional games" past and present, but we have found something we feel enhances gaming. You certainly don't have to agree, but don't come over to our forums and try to tell us how bad our taste is. It is impolite, and paints a very negative picture of the hardcore community, who by and large are the same as us.

Exactly.  Then as now, Nintendo fans seemed to be just deemed as 'Casuals' and looked down upon.  The difference was, back in the days of the GC, if you owned one, it was for two reasons.  For Smash Bros or 'kiddy games'.  Now it seems the labels haven't worn off.  You still buy a Wii for those same two reasons, but there's a secret (but all too painful console war backlash) tone behind the jabs and slander.  Now its like the people who were making all those comments back in the PS2 and XBOX era are secretly afraid that if they don't continue to cut into the reputation of Nintendo and its 'fans', that they'll be transported to some gamers hell for their sins.  A veritable Nintendo induced Purgatory where all they can do is play Wii Sports with their mom until they're 45 in their basement.

But you see, someone needed to tell these people, you can play a game even if its not on the system that's making the most money or isn't the most popular.  Popularity doesn't matter.  And like with the GameCube, I don't think the majority of the people playing the Wii care what a 360 fan thinks when they buy a copy of LEGO Star Wars or Wario Shake.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

I laughed whenever you said Mario is a hardcore franchise. The series is as mainstream as it gets.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
I laughed whenever you said Mario is a hardcore franchise. The series is as mainstream as it gets.

It struck me too - but then people call First Person Shooters and GTA-style sandbox games hardcore nowadays, so it's clear that they don't mean what they used to.

Outcast said:

Whenever I see a Nintendo fan tell us HD gamers that hardcore gaming is going the way of the dodo, we should all quit or jump off a cliff, I take a look at their gaming collection and, suprise suprise, it's fall of hardcore games. This has happened every time. Never has a rea casual gamer told me that hardcore gaming should die. It's a selfish thing to do really, casual gamers couldn't care less what we play.

So, why are hardcore gamers telling hardcore gamers that we are dieing out? Surely not, right? Ask a Nintendo fan what his top 5 games he/she has ever played and they will reply with some combination of Zelda/Mario - hardcore franchises. You see, this is all getting a bit too much for me to understand at this point.

Now, I've played a few casual games on my Wii. Wii Sports and Play are a blast for about 10 minutes. They're great for short bursts of gameplay. So why aren't these games on Nintendo fans best ever games lists? Because they're not. Far from it. They have no depth, no point beyond a few minutes of fun with your friends and family. This is what casual gaming is and no matter how many times Nintendo fans may pretend they want it, deep down they don't.

There are far more casual gamers with a Wii than hardcore gamers. Nintendo doesn't have or want to cater for you specifically any more. The new Zelda will not be anything like OOT, WW or TP. For better or worse, Nintendo will stop aiming any of their games at hardcore players.

So, ask yourself this Nintendo fans, how much did you enjoy Wii Music? Did you enjoy it enough for Zelda and EVERY other Nintendo franchise you love to be on the same intellectual level? Because this is what you're all claiming. I suggest you think about it.

If Hardcore means shooter games...  been there and done that... consoles offer less then PC games when it comes to that type of game.  I consider Zelda and Mario to be fun games that most anyone enjoys. 

I'm a little confused this gen as to why Sony left it's roots to try and become a PC game clone.  In the past, Sony offered games for most everyone.  Shooters were only a small portion of the overall offering.  I prefer the old Sony and feel that the complaints that many have directed at Nintendo could be most directed at Sony for changing it's direction.

Games are meant to be fun.  If you enjoy one type of game over another.  So be it.  If you are like me though you'll probably enjoy most every type of game. 

A hardcore game use to mean side scrolling shooter that kept throwing more and more stuff at you or Mega Man when I was a kid.  Not sure why gimped First person shooting games are "da hardcore" these days when they mostly consist of the exact same game I played back in the mid 90's on a 486 DLC40 with crappier controls.  Maybe you are da hardcore if you remember to press "X" when the game says "PRESS X".  I'm confused these days ;)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Laugh now, cry later.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/next-xbox-far-off-says-microsoft

"Just coming up with something that's faster and prettier isn't going to be sufficient," Bach told the San Jose Mercury News.

= no more cutting edge tech = they will do something else, maybe some waggle and console from low end pc parts for party games etc. :D

Die already you stupid dodo! (Thats for consoles of course. HC gaming on PC is never going to die.)

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
frybread said:

Hardcore gamers are telling themselves that. We're just laughing at them.

As for Wii Music, yes, it's more intellectually stimulating than Zelda, Gears of War, or any other game that has won "GoTY".  That's why you'll find it in schools as a teaching aid, whereas you won't find Killzone.

Please let me know why Wii Music is more likely to end up in schools as a teaching aid, than Guitar Hero, or Rock Band. I am having a feeling that Nintendo has suckered people into believing mediocre educational titles, respun with better presentation (and are actually games) have some intrinsic educational value, and are "good" for you. I have been doing Spanish Tutor on the DS for awhile. I am seriously suspect on how effective Nintendo's edutainment games are for teaching. Oh, I learned a few words, and the Tutor program does help me keep my short-term memory sharper. But, as far as learning to speak and understand Spanish? My feeling it that it isn't that good. Failed attempts to entertain don't automatically make them good educational tools.

Guitar Hero is about reaction times, and memorization.

Wii music is about encouraging creativity. 

You do the math.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

And this thread really should be called "Why I wish Nintendo fans were calling for the end of hardcore gaming, so that I could have a point."

Nice going on another flame bait post, Outkast! Congrats!

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shouldn't the title be:

Why "Hardcore" gamers create the downfall of "hardcore" gaming.

Beacuse that's what you are doing, dont blame it on us "casuals", if anything it's us that is saving your precius "hardcore" games.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:

It struck me too - but then people call First Person Shooters and GTA-style sandbox games hardcore nowadays, so it's clear that they don't mean what they used to.

hey, don't forget about sports games, like that ultra-hardcore franchise, Madden!

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

outlawauron said:

It sure is "hardcore" if you want all the stars in Mario 64 or SMG.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints