By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, what if the Wii dominates?

Being a mature game does not denote failure. You are absolutely right. In fact, a mature game has a great chance of success. We can not forget, for instance, that the majority of game purchases out there are made by children (under 18 for clarification) or for children. While the age of a gamer may be increasing, the fact that today's youth have more disposable income, as well as disposable time, suggests that they are the driving force for most entertainment markets. And mature themed games tend to sell better to the teen crowd than E games. So you are right. Mature games win. So Wii dominance means nothing Kwaad. Isn't it great how we got here. We get our big boy games, and our lousy casual games, and some kiddy games, and some sports games, and some fps's and ...nothing changes. Just more people playing.

Around the Network

I doubt that most people past their mid-20s are worried about their games including killing and nudity to be honest. 15-25 and male is probably closer to the group looking for violence and nudity in games, with adolescence being the major factor. FPS games tend to be the primary staple of this group. There are of course some who will fall outside of the statistical average, there are some teens who just don't get into violent games for example, but that seems to represent the common case. Certainly more depth of gameplay is desired by some, but there are others who just want a game they can pick up at any time. That's not really something you can divide up by demographics with the exception of the younger years. I believe the more interesting demographics will be those outside of traditional gamers, including those 30+ in age. Women in particular are attracted to different types of games. You may not consider games popular with women mature, but that's the sort of thinking which reduces market share. The Sims, Mario Party, and no doubt plenty of other games that you do not like sell well because there are different types of people. How does your favorite franchise rank against aggregate sales of The Sims in terms of overall sales? I'm pretty sure that the Wii is going to sell well no matter what happens with the Xbox 360 or the PS3. It's a different system, with different assumptions. Hard core games can be made for it, but I'm happy to see that there is an effort to reach out to additional people. For myself in particular, the fact that the Wii has more games that my wife enjoys is a tremendous benefit. DDR helped, and the DS lineup definitely worked out well - she played it more than I did, prompting me to purchase a DS Lite for her so I could use it again - but the Wii really brought a lot more to the table that she enjoys. Not only are we able to do one more thing together, but she's also much more understanding when I get into those "hardcore" games that still do not interest her in the least. Zelda and Excitetruck included. More importantly, it also marks a return to something that happened early on in games - companies creating many different types of games to compete. These days it's too easy for a company to push out the same FPS or driving game formula, slap higher resolution textures onto more polygons, and call it a game. Make it a sequel and you just doubled your sales because of name recognition. I can't begin to express my disappointment at what has become of much of the gaming industry. Development costs have skyrocketed due to the cost of creating higher poly models and more detailed artwork, but to what avail? I think it's about time that they were forced to reevaluate their assumptions of what people want and actually use a significant amount of their budget to make the gameplay fresh and fun again.

Some of the most mature games I have ever played were rated 'Everyone': Civilization Sim City Galactic Civilizations Railroad Tycoon

Kwaad said: Well I'm 22, and games like God of War, that paint the picture how it was. Games like prince of Persia that show wmoen scantly clad, and such, paint a FALSE picture of what things were. Is God of War aimed at the 'wannabe 20 year old 14 year olds?' No. It is a great game, made for adults. I dont care if your 40 or 10. God of war is a GREAT game. It's showing great signs of being the next 'GTA' style seller. My point is. Just becuase the game is for an adult. does NOT mean it will fail. GTA had a child-ish gameplay, with gameplay style. I see the gap getting wider. (crap like GTA will get more mature... or less mature)
You know people dont buy GTA just because its M. Most people buy it because its one of the best series on the Market.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

ookaze said: Sorry Kwaad, but back in the real world, the things you described are clearly immature. Making a whore topless is immature. You don't even understand what mature means anyway. You think mature means graphic violence, which is just an immature thought. Graphic violence or nudity are just one kind of mature content. And what's this BS about making age category for games being a gaming revolution ? What nonsense is that ? It's not even specific to games, it's just a parental control helper. The revolution of gaming has already happened with Nintendo, you're late to the game if you still didn't understand that. And it has nothing to do with games being mature or not.
Nintendo has gone the way of 'E' Sony has gone the way of 'M' (the kind you DO NOT let your 14 year old play) My point is, I think M games... will become more like movies... As their going in the same way. The new GTA style games for children will be rated T. The new GTA style games for adults will be rated M. Games rated M... are for adults ONLY. Games rated T... are for your teenagers who wanna play games like the M games.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

roadkillers said: You know people dont buy GTA just because its M. Most people buy it because its one of the best series on the Market.
No. I was not the one saying 14 year olds buy it. My wife, feels God of War was one of the best "graphically" Games she has ever seen. She isnt too high on UBER POLY COUNT, and UBER TEXTURES. (however she does like HD games) She tends to not like games like GTA. I like games like KillZone: Liberation Where when you throw a grenade at someone and they dont say. "AHHHHHHHHHHHH." and it's dumb when their like. "HELP!!!" (when it is a military person) I personally would say. "OH ****" In God of War Go look into Greek history, and their attire. Look into what they did. Look into who they were. I like games that simulate reality. In a fictitious world. Not... "Lolipop candy land. In a dark world."

Kwaad said: roadkillers said: You know people dont buy GTA just because its M. Most people buy it because its one of the best series on the Market. No. I was not the one saying 14 year olds buy it. My wife, feels God of War was one of the best "graphically" Games she has ever seen. She isnt too high on UBER POLY COUNT, and UBER TEXTURES. (however she does like HD games) She tends to not like games like GTA. I like games like KillZone: Liberation Where when you throw a grenade at someone and they dont say. "AHHHHHHHHHHHH." and it's dumb when their like. "HELP!!!" (when it is a military person) I personally would say. "OH ****" In God of War Go look into Greek history, and their attire. Look into what they did. Look into who they were. I like games that simulate reality. In a fictitious world. Not... "Lolipop candy land. In a dark world."
Believe me Kwaad i am Greek and i know that the facts happening on God Of War have nothing to do with Greek history, they have just taken a few things from Greek MYTHOLOGY, and made them look even crazier. In ancient Greece there was no Kratos, and anyone else being showed in the game. BTW God Of War has NOTHING to do with reality and i mean nothing...

gamingdevil said: Believe me Kwaad i am Greek and i know that the facts happening on God Of War have nothing to do with Greek history, they have just taken a few things from Greek MYTHOLOGY, and made them look even crazier. In ancient Greece there was no Kratos, and anyone else being showed in the game. BTW God Of War has NOTHING to do with reality and i mean nothing...
I was meaning mythology. There were the Titans, There were the gods. I did not mean they followed the mythology perfectly. They are putting a twist on it. Just like almost every game I have ever played. (GTA is a twist on modern reality. I have never seen a person jack over 1000 cars, total them all out, and still be on the street) Yup. Zeus, Kronos, Athena. None of those were in greek mythology. EDIT: and last time I checked the Olympics were 100% nude.

Kwaad said: gamingdevil said: Believe me Kwaad i am Greek and i know that the facts happening on God Of War have nothing to do with Greek history, they have just taken a few things from Greek MYTHOLOGY, and made them look even crazier. In ancient Greece there was no Kratos, and anyone else being showed in the game. BTW God Of War has NOTHING to do with reality and i mean nothing... I was meaning mythology. There were the Titans, There were the gods. I did not mean they followed the mythology perfectly. They are putting a twist on it. Just like almost every game I have ever played. (GTA is a twist on modern reality. I have never seen a person jack over 1000 cars, total them all out, and still be on the street) Yup. Zeus, Kronos, Athena. None of those were in greek mythology. EDIT: and last time I checked the Olympics were 100% nude.
I think he was confused because you said you like games that simulate reality in a fictitious world.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said: Kwaad said: gamingdevil said: Believe me Kwaad i am Greek and i know that the facts happening on God Of War have nothing to do with Greek history, they have just taken a few things from Greek MYTHOLOGY, and made them look even crazier. In ancient Greece there was no Kratos, and anyone else being showed in the game. BTW God Of War has NOTHING to do with reality and i mean nothing... I was meaning mythology. There were the Titans, There were the gods. I did not mean they followed the mythology perfectly. They are putting a twist on it. Just like almost every game I have ever played. (GTA is a twist on modern reality. I have never seen a person jack over 1000 cars, total them all out, and still be on the street) Yup. Zeus, Kronos, Athena. None of those were in greek mythology. EDIT: and last time I checked the Olympics were 100% nude. I think he was confused because you said you like games that simulate reality in a fictitious world.
Reality in a fictitious world... What I mean by that is. If I was a real person, in hell. I would not act like people normally do in games like that. Infact, that is one thing me, and most of my friends dislike is, they cant 'relate' to the characters in the game. The characters should be real. Think. "If that bastard just threw a grenade at me, what would I say." Well I would say one of a few things. If I knew he was there, I would probibally say. "GRENADE" and get out of there. If I saw a grenade come flying at me and land at my feet, I would jump away as fast as I can, and scream. "OHHHHH ****" I will never have a grenade thrown at me. so that is fictitious. I will never be in a city devastated by war for hundreds of years. But I promise you. If I lived in a hellish world like that. I wouldn't speak and act like a proper person would. I'd be more like. "Them mother ****** just shot up my buddy Jimmy. I'm gonna shove a grenade up each and every one of their *****." I wouldnt be like. "They just killed jimmy. Let's go kill them" But that is what happens in a modern game.