By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, what if the Wii dominates?

Just a hypothetical question for everyone to mule over, Lets say nintendo bring in millions upon millions of "casual gamers" who aren't interested in the type of games that we have all come to love, will publishers push game designers into making games to suit there needs and as a result will we see less of the games we love or less resources put into our games and as a result an inferior product? this is all based on the wii selling way more than we all could possibly predict of course.....

Around the Network

if "complicated" 3rd party games always fail on the Wii, and "Complicated" 3rd party games always succed on the PS3. The Wii has failed in my opinion. And the PS3 has succeded. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I have both of those consoles... so... I win either way. And I'm planning on getting a 360 in late 2007.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Wii domination will not affect games in general. While it might create new genres and spark creative ideas, I do not think it will drastically affect how hard core games are made, nor how they are sold. The definition of a casual gamers is that they don't play games that often. They don't get into deep. The only thing that opening up the casual market does is to bring in more potential hardcore gamers. That is the blue ocean strategy in a nutshell. Granted, games like brain age on the ds will sell well (mostly on the back of sudoku, i might add), but that doesn't mean that games like New Super Mario Bros doesn't sell just as well. Wii is a home and a haven to many hardcore franchises. Metroid and Zelda are by no means "pick up and play" titles. And while the basic mechanic of the new Mario may be, the conquest of the game as a whole is an experience only suited for a hardcore gamer. What may change, however, is the style of hardcore games. I don't think we can assume that Gears of War is a game for hardcore gamers, while Zelda is not. If "hardcore" is being used to describe the mature content or style of a game, then you are probably right. The Wii certainly could fail. I don't think that that is a fair definition of hardcore, mind you.

Really thinking of this, I think there will be a revolution in gameing. A seperation from children's 'fun' games. To Mature Adult games. I think it started happening about 2 years ago, and I think this will push things further ahead. Killzone: Liberation for the PSP is a vulgar game, based in a VERY mature world. I think there will be a new era of games. Games made for 17-30 year olds. And games made for 8-14 year olds. I think the 8-14 year old games will change to be less mature/killing based, and the 17-30 will become more... mature. (not bloody, but mature) I think this is good, a seperation. EDIT: I use the term, mature. As is nudity, vulgarity, true to reality. As in you go to a strip club, their topless. Not wearing bikinis. GTA. You meet a whore, and you do them. Get her topless. That is one thing that always annoyed me about PS2 generation games. They are so mature concepted. However the 'maturity' level, is so childish.

I think that change has already occurred. But I think it preculdes the idea that someone in their 30's, like myself, will always enjoy games like Chibi Robo and Jak and Daxter more than GTA or Gears. I don't think the seperation will be as much a great divide as you might think. Perhaps, even, this age bracket that you refer to could be flip-flopped. That is, while those mature games are created for adults, it will be the kids that will be playing them. And conversely, the adults may find themselves getting more into the surrealistic pillow that is Nintendo and thair patended brand of cuddly games.

Around the Network

It depends on how much is dominate. If it means like 150 million consoles sold all together then we will se a change in gaming as we know it. Sony and Microsoft will do there own unique way to make people buy there consoles.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

In a lot of ways, every generation of videogame consoles several (previously unimportant) genres suddenly become pushed to the forefront of the industry and replace previously important genres; usually this shift starts to become very noticable near the end of the previous generation. In the past couple of years there has been more success in very simple (graphically unimpressive) games like Katamari and Guitar Hero; at the same time many complicated 'Mature' games (Quake 4, Doom 3) have been performing very poorly. Currently, I think the shift is a result of FPS (and 'Mature' games in general) having been "done to death" and people looking for something different; as has happened in other areas it seems that we are going through a Retro phase where people are looking for a return to simpler time ... I could be completely wrong though ...

It really just depends... If the Wii dominates, and by dominate, I mean more than 40% of the worldwide marketshare, we will see more E-rated titles and less T-M rated titles. Looking at the film industry, a similar entertainment venue, we see the same thing happening: a transition to more G through PG13 movies. Outside of gaming, most forms of entertainment are this way. Many movies cut their R rating down to a PG-13 in the US in order to make more money. If the Wii succuedes, then companies will go a similar direction, and put more content into such games. I don't know if there'd be less M rated games, or edgy T rated games, but there'd be a far larger, more innovative section of E rated games. Also, it depends on how Wii would dominate in this scenario. If Wii merely converted the PS2 users from last-gen, and really didn't create a new base, we'd see actual fewer T/M titles versus E and E 10+, as the content demand would transition. If the Wii won new gamers, then the T/M titles wouldn't go away, due to more money being poured into gaming as a whole, allowing for bigger studios to create more content. A great example would be Nintendo, makers of kid friendly titles: Yes, they've done great with casual hits such as Nintendogs, Brain Training and such, but that doesn't mean they have abandoned Mario, Zelda, Metroid, ect. Their extra profits have allowed them to expand their studios to suit these new franchises in gaming habits, as opposed to shifting their development dollars elsewhere. Besides, it's a far better strategy as to what they're doing: Maintaining the ever-loyal Nintendo fanbase, and attempt to create a new fanbase rather than pour their money into the "non-game" fad Japan is in. After all, if that bubble burst, and Nintendo abandoned their mega projects like Zelda and Mario, they would be utterly ruined.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Well I'm 22, and games like God of War, that paint the picture how it was. Games like prince of Persia that show wmoen scantly clad, and such, paint a FALSE picture of what things were. Is God of War aimed at the 'wannabe 20 year old 14 year olds?' No. It is a great game, made for adults. I dont care if your 40 or 10. God of war is a GREAT game. It's showing great signs of being the next 'GTA' style seller. My point is. Just becuase the game is for an adult. does NOT mean it will fail. GTA had a child-ish gameplay, with gameplay style. I see the gap getting wider. (crap like GTA will get more mature... or less mature)

Sorry Kwaad, but back in the real world, the things you described are clearly immature. Making a whore topless is immature. You don't even understand what mature means anyway. You think mature means graphic violence, which is just an immature thought. Graphic violence or nudity are just one kind of mature content. And what's this BS about making age category for games being a gaming revolution ? What nonsense is that ? It's not even specific to games, it's just a parental control helper. The revolution of gaming has already happened with Nintendo, you're late to the game if you still didn't understand that. And it has nothing to do with games being mature or not.