By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, what if the Wii dominates?

Diomedes1976 said: If it dominates then the hardcore gamers are screwed .....light games and the extinction of the hardcore market lures ahead .I mean ,we have this gaming we know and love .....buuut everytime someones wants to "bring in more people " or as Iwata said " sell to casuals gamers " then you are stretching from the source and core of the original market ....if the success is so high that it becomes itself a way bigger market it can fagocitate the former market .If the X360 sells 25 and the PS3 30 million and the Wii sells 110 million and moves 5 times the software we could see the traditional plattforms and gaming genres screwed and put in the shadow to benefit the new and bigger market because it makes more profit .Thats quite clear .
So, in your opinion World of Warcraft screwed the MMORPG market? The fact is that if Nintendo is successful with their strategy the market (as a whole) should be much healthier because there will be more gamers, and developers will have an option to produce games at a reasonable cost. Just because Nintendo is successful doesn't mean that more complicated and 'Mature' games will not be made; and if they're succeesfull doesn't mean that more complicated and 'Mature' games will not be made for the Wii.

Around the Network

Well the young consoler gamer market that opened with the NES and more so with the SNES killed my beloved PC adventure game market!!! Back in the 80s my beloved Sierra Quest games were my favorites...and that got killed off, now I get a descent adventure title once maybe twice a year. So if this concept does take off, the big companies will start to develop more titles for this new audience, and as they do they will pull resources off other projects, or just not start other projects that would be aimed at the hardcore market. Nonetheless I look at it as a win win I love these new games and I think if anything, this will loosen up the market, maybe shake up a few franchises a bit. I think too many franchises are almost impossible to adopt to new players, like Madden, and even Tony Hawk. I bought Project 8, my first Tony Hawk game in a million years and the kind of trick combos I'm supposed to nail to accomplish goals even the amature goals I simply can't do, I stopped playing four hours in. Madden I stopped playing during the demo, never bought a Madden title and this was the first one in years. Really none of these companies are even making games that welcome new players, maybe this new market will open the doors to more accessible franchise titles.

fooflexible said: Well the young consoler gamer market that opened with the NES and more so with the SNES killed my beloved PC adventure game market!!! Back in the 80s my beloved Sierra Quest games were my favorites...and that got killed off, now I get a descent adventure title once maybe twice a year. So if this concept does take off, the big companies will start to develop more titles for this new audience, and as they do they will pull resources off other projects, or just not start other projects that would be aimed at the hardcore market. Nonetheless I look at it as a win win I love these new games and I think if anything, this will loosen up the market, maybe shake up a few franchises a bit. I think too many franchises are almost impossible to adopt to new players, like Madden, and even Tony Hawk. I bought Project 8, my first Tony Hawk game in a million years and the kind of trick combos I'm supposed to nail to accomplish goals even the amature goals I simply can't do, I stopped playing four hours in. Madden I stopped playing during the demo, never bought a Madden title and this was the first one in years. Really none of these companies are even making games that welcome new players, maybe this new market will open the doors to more accessible franchise titles.
We have seen what the new... non-gamer market gets. It's out there now, and it is established. Nintendo DS. That is what the future looks like if the Wii wins. VOMIT

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Diomedes said: If it dominates then the hardcore gamers are screwed .....light games and the extinction of the hardcore market lures ahead .I mean ,we have this gaming we know and love .....buuut everytime someones wants to "bring in more people " or as Iwata said " sell to casuals gamers " then you are stretching from the source and core of the original market ....if the success is so high that it becomes itself a way bigger market it can fagocitate the former market .If the X360 sells 25 and the PS3 30 million and the Wii sells 110 million and moves 5 times the software we could see the traditional plattforms and gaming genres screwed and put in the shadow to benefit the new and bigger market because it makes more profit .Thats quite clear .
Kwaad said: We have seen what the new... non-gamer market gets. It's out there now, and it is established. Nintendo DS. That is what the future looks like if the Wii wins. VOMIT
Dragon Quest IX. These kind of argument needs to stop and those who use them hanged.

ranzchic said: Dragon Quest IX. These kind of argument needs to stop and those who use them hanged.
Really? Seriously? http://www.vgcharts.org/japgamewk.php?name=Dragon%20Quest%20Monsters%20Joker Because that didnt sell as well as MH2. And that console has 3x the users... Dosent seem like that big of a deal to me.

Around the Network

Kwaad said: ranzchic said: Dragon Quest IX. These kind of argument needs to stop and those who use them hanged. Really? Seriously? http://www.vgcharts.org/japgamewk.php?name=Dragon%20Quest%20Monsters%20Joker Because that didnt sell as well as MH2. And that console has 3x the users... Dosent seem like that big of a deal to me.
That's not DQ9 that's a spin-off title... Don't try to twist things... again... And DQ9 is not a casual game... so casual gamers won't buy it. That means that DS has a lot of different type gamers so a game can't have a TOTAL success. But it will have many games with a BIG success. Get Brain Training on PSP, you think it's gonna succeed?

Link me to the sales then please.

Kwaad said: Link me to the sales then please.
It's not released yet... and just in case you don't believe me... Dragon Quest IX Details Satisfied?

if it's not out yet. How can you say that is what future games will look like? No-one knows what it looks like? (well feel/plays like)

Kwaad said: if it's not out yet. How can you say that is what future games will look like? No-one knows what it looks like? (well feel/plays like)
It's a direct sequel to DQ8 on PS2. Cell shaded graphics and real-time combat as well as 4 player co-op over wi-fi. There are screenshots on several sites... don't be lazy! PS: Haven't I seen you talking about how amazing future PS3 games are? PS2: Some screenshots in case you are bored... Pretty impressive for a system that can BARELY do 3d, aren't they?