By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the PS3 was discontinued...will you suicide? Dance? Get a wii? 360?

jlauro said:
Rhonin the wizard said:

Feel sorry for those who enjoyed it.

Sorry for those who enjoyed the end of the PS3, or those who enjoyed the PS3 (because far less new games will be made for it)?

Both, actually, the first group because they have no better way to spend their time, the second for the reason you stated.

@All

This thread is about what will you do IF the PS3 is discontinued, not about the chances of it happening. I know most will not like this thread, but in that case it would more effective to just ignore it, rather than bumping it with new posts.

Around the Network

I would be annoyed, as i do plan to get another ps3 in the future

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

1. Shocked and excited. (Judging from the times articles. I don't think they would be shutting down gaming studios. Sony games on xbox!!)

2. I'm excited about the idea of developers having an easier time developing for one platform. Increase in games coming to x360... MSG series. Concerned about MS not innovating anymore because there is not as much competition.

3. As mentioned in point 1. Sony making games for xbox... GT series, etc.

Immeadiately, I can't lie, I'd be happy. I'll admit,, I used to be a Nintendo fan, and lamented the 64 losing to the PS1. But, now that I've stepped back, I can look back and see it as a good thing. Nintendo got arrogant, thinking they could do no wrong. They needed the correction. That is the boat Sony is in right now. They need the correction of a PS3 failure to realign themselves for a better PS4.

On a deeper level, I'd be concerned. Nintendo was at least able to profit off the 64, which Sony is not doing with the PS3. If it were to die off, I'd be more worried about Sony completely removing themselves from the market (or worse, see next paragraph), causing a loss of competition. The competition is what breeds innovation. If Nintendo did not get the correction from the PS1's victory, we'd probably still be gaming on cartridges. Without the current Wii correction, controllers would just get more and more buttons. I don't want gaming to feel old; in fact, it's the old feeling that was slowly starting to push me away from gaming in general. (I can say that if it wasn't for the Wii and DS, I wouldn't be here making this post.) This isn't to say that I can't appreciate the older styles; the innovation also made me go back and get a bunch of PS2 games. But people need to be thrown something they don't expect on occasion- that's what innovation does. And it will only come from competition, which Sony is one facet of for the market.

For lasting impact, it's hard to say. If the PS3 crashes bad enough, it could take out the Sony corporation. This will ripple worldwide into deepening the recession we're currently in. I'd like to hope that Sony could salvage enough to stay afloat, though there would still be some jobs lost. A bad crash would result in selling off of Sony's game studios, of which Microsoft would probably be the buyer. A slow burnout would probably relegate Sony to Sega's position- making games, but no more systems. (I also feel this would be best-case for Sony.) I will say that I do not see Sony just folding up the doors on the gaming division, though; they need to salvage what they can. The additional write-off losses for closing a division is something they simply can not afford to do right now.

Of course, this hasn't happened. Ideally, it won't.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Well are the games stopped too or just production of the console?

1. If games still come out then I don't give a fuck because I already have one

2. If no more games come out, I'd be pissed, but I play my 360 more anyways.

Around the Network

If the Playstation brand was ever to disapper I would just move to whatever system SCE started developing games for. If they end up going multiplatform I would probably not be into gaming as much anymore, and find a new hobbie. Its not the end of the world to me if Playstation is gone, but it basically would severly decrease the amount of money I put into the gaming industry.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I would just be interested in seeing where their development talent went. Presumably, most of their in-house studios would move to 360 development (but still under Sony's helm as a publisher), but i would be interested to see if something like Loco Roco or Team ICO's stuff move on to Nintendo platforms

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Umm First I would hope it happens after the release of GoW3 and then I would go cry a little bit and play GoW, cry a lil more, and then go play my wii.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

I'd cry and go wherever their games go

If you aren't playing B3YOND, you're playing behind

Playstation 3: It Only Does Everything

I'd keep my PS3 for a while, to play all of my games to death (not literally), but I'd probably sell it after a few years to make some money back. I'd also go with a 360, seeing as how I don't care much who makes the console, so long as I have some amazing games to play. (and I've been looking into getting a 360 anyway, because there's some games that I really want to play on there).

EDIT: I wanted to add, that if Sony just dropped hardware all together (no PSP either), I'd do the same as above, only replace PS3 with PSP, and 360 with DS. =)