By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Some site announcements!

Louie said:
What about:

"Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world proudly (? Should we be proud or does that look fanboyish?) announces, according to our data Nintendo Wii finally passed Xbox 360 sales *.

Two years ago, when Nintendo talked about a "Revolution" in gaming for the first time, nobody thought it would come true. But the week ending .... (insert week here) Nintendo Wii, currently standing at .... (insert numbers here) million consoles sold, passed XBox 360 lifetime sales of .... (insert numbers here) million units making Nintendo the new market leader in home videogame console business.

According to our data the console outsold Microsofts Xbox 360 by a margin of .... (insert margin here) on average each week, selling even faster than the most successful console ever created, the Playstation 2.

This is the first time a company is market leader in the home console and in the handheld market since 1994 when Nintendos Super NES dominated the charts.

Vgchartz.com is proud to be the first source to announce this major sales cross over, as NPD and media create data will be available....(insert date here).

* unlike other sales sites, vgchartz always tracks consoles sold to consumers and not sold to stores. While Microsofts Xbox 360 shipments may be higher than the shipments of Nintendos Wii more Wii consoles made it from retailer to consumers than Xbox 360´s.
"

Something like that, but it is damn hard(!) to look objective (and unbiased) in such a statement as you have to give your congratulations to Nintendo...

No, VG Chartz does not PROUDLY announce Nintendo Wii has passed xbox 360 sales.  It had nothing to do with it so there's nothing to be proud about.  Also need to indicate that it is Worldwide sales that the Wii has surpassed the 360.

The entire first part of the second paragraph can be deleted.  Not necessary info and not related to hardware sales.  Better yet would be to say that "Two years ago, very few analysts had predicted the Nintendo Wii would be doing as well as it is."

Need more sources.  "according to our data" is just not good enough.  This would be a good time to give the sample size statistics and do the appropriate math to calculate the margin of error.  Give us a reason to lend credibility to the site.  Pollsters do.  When they do a poll, they can calculate the margin of error based on the sample size and based on their method of distributing the sample.  I remember my wife doing those kind of calculations in college and was stunned at how they worked.  If you know how to do it, ioi, I would suggest this is a good place to do it since it will lend a lot of credibility.

Around the Network
JMan said:
Louie said:
What about:

"Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world proudly (? Should we be proud or does that look fanboyish?) announces, according to our data Nintendo Wii finally passed Xbox 360 sales *.

Two years ago, when Nintendo talked about a "Revolution" in gaming for the first time, nobody thought it would come true. But the week ending .... (insert week here) Nintendo Wii, currently standing at .... (insert numbers here) million consoles sold, passed XBox 360 lifetime sales of .... (insert numbers here) million units making Nintendo the new market leader in home videogame console business.

According to our data the console outsold Microsofts Xbox 360 by a margin of .... (insert margin here) on average each week, selling even faster than the most successful console ever created, the Playstation 2.

This is the first time a company is market leader in the home console and in the handheld market since 1994 when Nintendos Super NES dominated the charts.

Vgchartz.com is proud to be the first source to announce this major sales cross over, as NPD and media create data will be available....(insert date here).

* unlike other sales sites, vgchartz always tracks consoles sold to consumers and not sold to stores. While Microsofts Xbox 360 shipments may be higher than the shipments of Nintendos Wii more Wii consoles made it from retailer to consumers than Xbox 360´s.
"

Something like that, but it is damn hard(!) to look objective (and unbiased) in such a statement as you have to give your congratulations to Nintendo...

No, VG Chartz does not PROUDLY announce Nintendo Wii has passed xbox 360 sales. It had nothing to do with it so there's nothing to be proud about. Also need to indicate that it is Worldwide sales that the Wii has surpassed the 360.

The entire first part of the second paragraph can be deleted. Not necessary info and not related to hardware sales. Better yet would be to say that "Two years ago, very few analysts had predicted the Nintendo Wii would be doing as well as it is."

Need more sources. "according to our data" is just not good enough. This would be a good time to give the sample size statistics and do the appropriate math to calculate the margin of error. Give us a reason to lend credibility to the site. Pollsters do. When they do a poll, they can calculate the margin of error based on the sample size and based on their method of distributing the sample. I remember my wife doing those kind of calculations in college and was stunned at how they worked. If you know how to do it, ioi, I would suggest this is a good place to do it since it will lend a lot of credibility.

/me agrees.

Also missing that the Wii is still sold out in 2 of 3 markets, and something how vgchartz is getting its data.

But quite a nice first shot though.

I agree about the second paragprah, it has to be more precise, that´s correct.

"proudly" more in the case of "we are proud to be the first".

but what to write instead of "our data"? It IS vgchartz data in the end. Maybe Ioi could describe his system a bit.

Whatever, it was just a first try, I´m sure it still needs lot of improvement.

ioi said:
rendo, you always have a subtext don't you?

No subtext at all.  I call a spade a spade.  I'm a cynical, realistic human being who sees things for what they are, and have the balls to say what I feel.  Others might not be as perceptive, and that's not their fault.  I on the other hand know what goes down, and how the world works and got no issues saying my peace. 

What's my opinion to you anyways?

rendo said:
ioi said:

No subtext at all. I call a spade a spade. I'm a cynical, realistic human being who sees things for what they are, and have the balls to say what I feel. Others might not be as perceptive, and that's not their fault. I on the other hand know what goes down, and how the world works and got no issues saying my peace.

Modest, too.

Around the Network
Louie said:
I agree about the second paragprah, it has to be more precise, that´s correct.

"proudly" more in the case of "we are proud to be the first".

but what to write instead of "our data"? It IS vgchartz data in the end. Maybe Ioi could describe it´s system a bit.

Whatever, it was just a first try, I´m sure it still needs lot of improvement.

Oh yeah, no offense intended Louie. You did an excellent suggestion and were brave to start a first draft. I went into my "correction" mode and didn't give you due credit and buttering

The first sentence said "proudly announces...Nintendo Wii finally passed Xbox 360 sales" and structurally that doesn't convey what you were trying to say. I did find the fifth paragraph about being proud to be the first to announce as being appropriate. So removing the proudly from the first sentence takes care of that.

Using the term "our data" isn't enough. I could do a similar press release. "According to my data, there are more people living on Mars than in Guatemala". It doesn't mean anything. That's why you have to justify it further by explaining how the data was collected and the statistics to back it up.

Also, press releases also include a little blurb about the company issuing the press release at the end of it.

like "VGChartz.com is the most comprehensive game sales database site available on the internet. With over 2.5 million hits per month, VGChartz is rapidly establishing itself as the main source for weekly game and console sales numbers." Or something similar.

good work, and I can now change my sig!!!

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

JMan said:
Louie said:
I

Oh yeah, no offense intended Louie. You did an excellent suggestion and were brave to start a first draft. I went into my "correction" mode and didn't give you due credit and buttering

The first sentence said "proudly announces...Nintendo Wii finally passed Xbox 360 sales" and structurally that doesn't convey what you were trying to say. I did find the fifth paragraph about being proud to be the first to announce as being appropriate. So removing the proudly from the first sentence takes care of that.

Using the term "our data" isn't enough. I could do a similar press release. "According to my data, there are more people living on Mars than in Guatemala". It doesn't mean anything. That's why you have to justify it further by explaining how the data was collected and the statistics to back it up.

Also, press releases also include a little blurb about the company issuing the press release at the end of it.

like "VGChartz.com is the most comprehensive game sales database site available on the internet. With over 2.5 million hits per month, VGChartz is rapidly establishing itself as the main source for weekly game and console sales numbers." Or something similar.

I agree. If you want, come up with a new paragraph by yourself - we shouldn´t let Ioi do the whole work I think  

Oh and don´t worry about correcting me - I didn´t read it as any offense, I´m the same there

Great work ioi

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
rendo said:
ioi said:

No subtext at all.  I call a spade a spade.  I'm a cynical, realistic human being who sees things for what they are, and have the balls to say what I feel.  Others might not be as perceptive, and that's not their fault.  I on the other hand know what goes down, and how the world works and got no issues saying my peace. 

What's my opinion to you anyways?

You got the cynical part right. If you were as "realistic" as you claim you would realize how hard it is to make a decent living off a website that doesn't sell products. You really think the ads on this site can pay the bills and compensate ioi(and the others) for the time and effort it takes to collect/organize data and run the site?

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."