By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why are people assuming there will be a PS3 Slim?

forevercloud3000 said:
badgenome said:

Because if any console ever needed a slim model, it's the PS3. The thing is ridiculously huge.

Actually my PS3 is side by side with my roomates brocken 360 right now. They are virtually the same size. Difference being the PS3 is concve while the 360 gives off a more convex(sliming) look. That whole PS3 is monsterous huge thing has been debunked.

I own both, dude. I know whereof I speak.

Around the Network

I own both and have them sitting next to each other.  The Xbox 360 is smaller than the PS3, but only slightly.  Officially here are their dimensions:

The Xbоx 360 is 12.15" wide x 3.27" high x 10.15" deep

The PS3 is 12.8" wide x 3.8" high x 10.8" deep

Therefore the PS3 is only 0.65" wider, 0.53" higher, and 0.65" deeper.  Pretty close if you ask me.  Add to this the fact that the power supply for the PS3 is on the inside, while the Xbox 360 requires a huge external brick, and the edge is probably to PS3.

Look at the shelf space the current PS3 model requires. Places like Walmart, and Target, which sell a high volume of all consoles sold can only hold about 4 - 8 PS3's in their display case. Compare that to the likes of the PS2/360/Wii, and you nearly have a 3/1 ratio. This means stores have to stock more PS3's in the back, and likly have to have more on hand at any givin time. Thus the store is less likly to promote a device that is costing them more floorspace, and it turns into a vicious cycle.

By making a slim PS3 Sony gets;

-Instant reduction in cost of production
-Ability to manufacture, and store more units internally
-Reduced transpertation costs, by air, ground, and sea
-A face lift to the system, making some take a second, or first look at it

By making a slim PS3 consumers get;

-A smaller unit, that is easier to deal with in nearly every aspect
-A system that uses less enegy
-A system that comes at a cheaper price

Any way you look at it a slim PS3 is good. Both Sony and the consumers benifit from it, but it is not the best thing that could happen to the PS3. IMO, a PS3 slim would require software B/C with PS2 to truly make the impact it is capable of.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

the gamecube was already tiny as hell and nintendo loves using old tech in their products to make it cheaper to sell at a high cost so maybe the chips in the gamecube werent shrunk further

The xbox was killed off prematurly if MS stuck with the machine I bet it would have gotten smaller.

I think it is likely a slim model will surface, just because Sony tends to do this with all their products, it is a constant evolution with pretty much all of their electronics.

But I do see your point. Traditionally only successful consoles have seen a slim revision the NES and the SNES are examples.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network

The simple matter of the fact is that the R&D for a slimline PS3 has been ongoing since its launch. The whole idea of the slimline is cost cutting, they generally increase sales as well.

Every time that Sony shrinks the chips and removes unnecessary baggage reduces costs and brings the console a step closer to a slimline model.

Do you think that with the PS2 there was just one PS2 and then the PSTwo? No, there would have been several models of the PS2 with lots of cost cutting in each one. Eventually, Sony gets the hardware down so much that they can redesign the casing, and bababin, bababoom, there's the PSTwo. As time goes on different models of the PSTwo are released, cost cutting even further.

The same thing will happen with the PS3, and it's already happening. The difference is; this time, they're moving faster to get costs down because they are sky-high, and they need to turn to profitability soon.

Slimline models are one of the biggest cost cutting things out there. For the first time, the casing will shrink, the PSU might go external, which saves on cooling, and other hardware revisions may be made changing stuff inside to do with the WiFi and such (the PSTwo lost it's ability to attach a HDD, for example).

Another huge advantage of slimline models is packaging, the boxes and protection will be much smaller, cutting costs there, transportation will be cheaper, as will storage.

Slimline models also have an effect on demand. The new SKU gives off a higher value and it buys Sony more time before they cut the price, and it may even mean they can drop the price less when they do price cut.

In conclusion, slimline models cut costs down, and allow for prices to stay higher, it's win-win for Sony.