By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why are people assuming there will be a PS3 Slim?

A slimline PS3 is coming, is it just a matter of when.

Sony does this to help reduce costs, not after a console becomes "successful". Sony is under more pressure now to drop the cost of the PS3 than in previous generations. They have already had a couple hardware revisions so far this generation, they just have not changed the form factor of the console yet. Cell and RSX have already had a die-shrink, so a smaller console should already be possible.

Making a slimline version of the PS3 will help Sony save money on the PS3. Reduced component costs, smaller chips with less cooling, cheaper enclosure, smaller power supply, lighter shipping weight. A slim model should come with a nice reduction is manufacturing/shipping costs for each console.

Around the Network

PSOne slim
PS2 slim
PSP slim

Trend?

45 nm RSX+Cell = PS3 SLIM. Expected to be released in 2009-2010.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

dolemit3 said:

Was there a Game Cube or Xbox light/slim released several years ago?

That might have somethign to do with the fact that Sony, of the three console manufacturers, has the longest history and the most experience with revising hardware, from TV's to Radio's to consoles. They control each stage of a products production giving them fast and easy access to revise the hardware.

I'm not exactly sure what the case was with the GC or the original Xbox, but MS or Nintendo may have had to find a third party to do the revisions for them, increasing the cost of the venture.

Sony would also stand to gain a great deal in the long run from such a revision for the PS3. It's still not selling at a profit, a revision may be exactly what Sony need to turn those losses into gains.

Dallinor said:
dolemit3 said:

That might have somethign to do with the fact that Sony, of the three console manufacturers, has the longest history and the most experience with revising hardware, from TV's to Radio's to consoles. They control each stage of a products production giving them fast and easy access to revise the hardware.

I'm not exactly sure what the case was with the GC or the original Xbox, but MS or Nintendo may have had to find a third party to do the revisions for them, increasing the cost of the venture.

Sony would also stand to gain a great deal in the long run from such a revision for the PS3. It's still not selling at a profit, a revision may be exactly what Sony need to turn those losses into gains.

But where will the money come from to do these revisions? The entire entertainment division is losing $$$ right now.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

CrazzyMan said:
PSOne slim - PS1 Success
PS2 slim - PS2 Success
PSP slim - PSP Success

Trend?

45 nm RSX+Cell = PS3 SLIM. Expected to be released in 2009-2010.  - PS3 Failure so far

Don't bet the house on it.

Around the Network

PS3 Slim = Extra publicity
PS3 Slim = reduced console manufacturing costs
PS3 Slim = ability to increase the price of the unit for a short period
PS3 Slim = increased sales in Japan cos they like smaller products

PS3 Slim = Win, win, win, win

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

badgenome said:

Because if any console ever needed a slim model, it's the PS3. The thing is ridiculously huge.

Actually my PS3 is side by side with my roomates brocken 360 right now. They are virtually the same size. Difference being the PS3 is concve while the 360 gives off a more convex(sliming) look. That whole PS3 is monsterous huge thing has been debunked.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

dolemit3 said:
Dallinor said:
dolemit3 said:

But where will the money come from to do these revisions? The entire entertainment division is losing $$$ right now.

If it costs Sony 50M to redesign the PS3 and modify manufacturing to make a PS3 Slim, and it reduced production/shipping costs by $25 per console.  (both entirely made up numbers)  They would recoup the slim design costs by selling 2M slim consoles.

Making a slim model will help save them money.  That is what Sony needs now.  The sooner they can do it, the faster they can stop the bleeding.

Its losing money? Wow tell us something we don't know. Look, Sony would make a slimline because of two reasons. First reason being is that the cost to make a ps3 and to ship it will drop dramatically. Less plastic, smaller PSU, smaller fan, smaller chips = less weight. Less weight = they are able to ship more for the same price as they are able to ship now. Second reason being because a slimline ps3 will increase sales dramatically (assuming a slimline ps3 will also launch with a price cut). Its a win-win situation for Sony, y wouldn't they invest the money on a revision. I might even pick up a 2nd ps3 if the slim is cheap enough/slim enough

@snakeeyez

i might get the slim version too o.o