By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why are people assuming there will be a PS3 Slim?

Seriously, every single slim model was the revision of an already successful console. Even the PSP was a modest money maker for Sony which allowed them to have that extra $$$ to invest into the R & D to develop the PSP 2000 and 3000. Was there a Game Cube or Xbox light/slim released several years ago? No, because the sales were poor to begin with. yet people keep assuming that Sony will release a Slim version in the nearest future, which means they must be working on a slim concept right now. Now how likely is that?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

Because every other console Sony has made has been revised into a "slim" edition. If your thread has to do with "success" then PS3 will still be successful enough for a slim version (see PSP).

I think it is a brilliant idea and would cause a huge bump in sales.

Because if any console ever needed a slim model, it's the PS3. The thing is ridiculously huge.

Well, lets see there was Playstation 1 slim and a ps2 slim. Its only reasonable that there will be ps3 slim.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

PS1, PS2, & PSP.
Slim, slim, and slim. The calculations don't lie.

Around the Network

Because the PS3 is like a tank, and i know a lot of people who make fun of it for its size

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

@ dolemit3 )

ok, that just means you will be surprised when Sony announces a PS3 slim and we (most of the other users on VGChartz) won't

It will be a slim version of the PS3, but my guess is that it won't be released until 2011

It will cost less to produce.

That is the real reason SCE makes them as well as the reason why there will be a slimline PS3.

There's already a significant difference in both number of components and overall weight between the original 60GB model and the 40GB and 80GB models. Continued die shrinks will only continue this trend as components require less power to run (= smaller/lighter PSU or AC adaptor) and produce less heat while running under load (smaller, lighter HSF cooling solutions which currently occupy a sizable percentage of chassis space).

There's already a fair amount of empty space inside the current 80GB model if you've seen a tear down.

Plus a new smaller case will cost significantly less as well (the original supposedly cost about $60 to produce).

dolemit3 said:

Seriously, every single slim model was the revision of an already successful console. Even the PSP was a modest money maker for Sony which allowed them to have that extra $$$ to invest into the R & D to develop the PSP 2000 and 3000. Was there a Game Cube or Xbox light/slim released several years ago? No, because the sales were poor to begin with. yet people keep assuming that Sony will release a Slim version in the nearest future, which means they must be working on a slim concept right now. Now how likely is that?

you understand little about what your arguing about but i guess that's the beauty of discussion.

think life cycle and business practice more than sales performance.