By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Dev: PS3 Can't Handle AI as well as the 360

During an interview with GamePlayer, an Ubisoft developer flat-out said the PS3 can't handle artificial intelligence as well as the 360:

"It’s NEVER gonna come out on the PS3 or the Wii," he said. "It’s a logical decision. Nintendo’s console simply doesn’t have the graphical horsepower, and...the PS3 can’t handle AI nearly as well as the 360."

Article: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1686.html

I believe the Developer is referencing Splinter Cell: Conviction. They discuss that game a little and also Naruto.

This isn't the first time I've heard this argument. There was some talks about Assassin's Creed for the 360 having better crowd mechanics/AI. I'll see if I can drag up that article.

What do you think?

Around the Network

For first we have seen how "smart" the cell is so they are talking BS.

mM
Soriku said:
I don't know, but it seems the PS3 is too hard to develop for resulting in worse AI, etc. 360 is hard too but not nearly as hard as the PS3.

And again I agree, developers are used to using 2 or 3 threads, ubisoft once stated its impossible to work with 7 threads at the same time. Killzone 2 is an example of how much BS they are saying, as well as bringing into the public.

mM

In a way, they are correct. The architecture of the SPUs makes it very hard to compile/run AI on them - easily anyway (anyone know if there is a general C/C++ compiler for the SPUs?).

But the game would have to process a huge amount of complex AI for this to be true. Only then would it soak up too much CPU on the main PS3 CPU (non-SPU), and result in a lack of cycles to drive the other processes (or control the SPUs).

So - it could very well be true, or it could be a load of BS. Only a technical developer for Ubisoft (someone actually working on the game) would really know.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

leo-j said:
For first we have seen how "smart" the cell is so they are talking BS.

Yea leo-j...So Ubisoft whats the problem the Cell is to smart for you guys or something?? Thats what I believe they just can't handle the Cell unit..lol

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Soriku said:
I don't know, but it seems the PS3 is too hard to develop for resulting in worse AI, etc. 360 is hard too but not nearly as hard as the PS3.

And again I agree, developers are used to using 2 or 3 threads, ubisoft once stated its impossible to work with 7 threads at the same time. Killzone 2 is an example of how much BS they are saying, as well as bringing into the public.

Leo-j, I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about.

This is the real advantage of the 360 - symmetric  processing versus non-symmetric (PS3). PS3 is great for vector processing - video, analog, simple tranforms done very quickly. The 360 is a much better "general C code execution" machine.

Depending what the threads are doing, running 7 threads at once on the CELL (assuming they have to run on the main CPU - not the SPUs) could well kill the CPU. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

In a way, they are correct. The architecture of the SPUs makes it very hard to compile/run AI on them - easily anyway (anyone know if there is a general C/C++ compiler for the SPUs?).

But the game would have to process a huge amount of complex AI for this to be true. Only then would it soak up too much CPU on the main PS3 CPU (non-SPU), and result in a lack of cycles to drive the other processes (or control the SPUs).

So - it could very well be true, or it could be a load of BS. Only a technical developer for Ubisoft (someone actually working on the game) would really know.

Your right only a technical developer would know. So Ubisoft is having trouble working with the PS3?? Its starting to resemble how the Saturn had 2 processors and it was hard to develop games for that system thats why alot of developers went to the PS1 because of this.

Here's the article I was talking about, back last year when they decided to take Assassin's Creed to multiplatform, rather than stay exclusive to the PS3:

"While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/736/736396p1.html

I have no problem believing this, simply because of the difficulty many 3rd party devs have been experiencing when programming on the Cell. There have been delays on multiplatform releases for the PS3 (Stranglehold, GRAW2), as well as day-and-date releases that are inferior to the 360 counterpart (Madden 08, NCAA Football 08). Programming for the Cell is still in its infancy for dev teams that don't want to sink 20+ million into a game that might not sell as well as it could on the 360.

leo-j said:
Soriku said:

The problem is that Killzone 2 has a budget of 41 million dollars. That's the highest budget of any game ever made...by far.

The way he said it made me think that he was tired of being asked why it wasn't on the PS3 and he just needed a BS answer so the interviewer would drop the subject. That's my opinion.

Besides, no game to date could use AI well enough that the PS3 couldn't handle it.

I would tend to believe a 3rd party developer over one of the Sony NUTT-HUGGING exclusive software developers. Ubisoft makes games for all 3 platforms. So till someone more credible comes out and proves this theory wrong The PS3 has once again been proven inferior in real time game performance in comparision to the 360. Since Splinter Cell 5 is 360 exclusive Ubisoft can spend all thier resources on optimizing it for the 360 rather than making an inferior product because they have to worry about PS3 compatability...