By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Dev: PS3 Can't Handle AI as well as the 360

@ omgwtfbbq

huh? WTF are you talking about? I never compared Xenon to Cell for graphics processing. That would be a ridiculous comparison to make, not to mention completely useless.The correct comparison would be comparing the two graphics cards,

It's not as black and white like you write. It's not Cell vs Xenon and RSX vs Xenos. In the PS3 and XBox 360 it's Cell+RSX+other factors (higher speed XDR memory, higher internal bandwidths, ultra high speed local SPE memory, etc) vs Xenon+Xenos+other factors from a hardware perspective.

and from what I heard Xenos outperforms RSX in most cases.

Looking solely at the graphics chips in raw numbers the RSX is far more powerful, but the Xenos offers more flexibility and some nice hardware tricks. So let's say they are about on par.

So please explain how the number of cores in the CPU could possibly relate to how well the GPU performs.

For example the SPEs can take workload off the GPU, allowing the GPU to focuss on other things. Some examples:

The people behind F1 CE:

The SPUs are heavily involved in the graphics pipeline and do an enormous amount of work to eliminate inefficiency before anything arrives at the PPU and RSX. For example, the SPUs are powerful enough to decompress and check every triangle [polygon] before passing it on to the RSX. Triangles that are facing away from the player, or that are not on the screen can be 'trimmed' away by the SPUs, which hugely reduces the amount of redundant work sent to the RSX. This in turn lets the RSX get on with what it does best--drawing stuff on screen.

The SPUs can also be used to augment the RSX vertex shaders, making far more vertex-heavy tasks possible which is very useful for character animation. Additionally, the SPUs can be used to implement behavior very similar to geometry shaders--F1 CE uses them in this way to render seamless interpolated levels of detail for some scene elements. So in answer to the question "Do the Cell and RSX work together?" the answer is a resounding "Yes," and I think this is one of the real strengths of Playstation 3 that we'll see increasingly exploited by development teams going forward.

The people behind Motorstorm:

If by “cooperative rendering” you’re referring to SPUs supporting the RSX, I strongly believe that this approach will become far more widespread. In addition to reducing the vertex load on the RSX through the use of culling and vertex pre-processing, this approach also provides an efficient mechanism to introduce procedural geometry.

Historically, CPUs have provided course grain scene culling using view frustums, occlusion planes, portal visibility and BSP-trees with GPUs left to perform fine grain rejection using guard band clipping, occlusion and backface culling. While such features improve fragment performance, they don’t reduce vertex processing overhead.

The leap in performance provided by Cell gives us the bandwidth to significantly reduce RSX time spent processing vertices that don’t contribute to the final scene. The favoured approach is to use SPUs to generate minimal scene/instance specific index and vertex buffers from compressed data.

"David Kirk: SPE and RSX can work together. SPE can preprocess graphics data in the main memory or postprocess rendering results sent from RSX.

Nishikawa: for example, when you have to create a lake scene by multi-pass rendering with plural render targets, SPE can render a reflection map while RSX does other things. Since a reflection map requires less precision it's not much of overhead even though you have to load related data in both the main RAM and VRAM. It works like SLI by SPE and RSX.

David Kirk: Post-effects such as motion blur, simulation for depth of field, bloom effect in HDR rendering, can be done by SPE processing RSX-rendered results.

Nishikawa: RSX renders a scene in the main RAM then SPEs add effects to frames in it. Or, you can synthesize SPE-created frames with an RSX-rendered frame.

David Kirk: Let SPEs do vertex-processing then let RSX render it.

Nishikawa: You can implement a collision-aware tesselator and dynamic LOD by SPE.

David Kirk: SPE and GPU work together, which allows physics simulation to interact with graphics.

Nishikawa: For expression of water wavelets, a normal map can be generated by pulse physics simulation with a height map texture. This job is done in SPE and RSX in parallel""

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@ omgwtfbbq

well, just because something isn't designed for a particular thing, doesn't mean it's not possible. I understand that it's possible to run the AI routines on the SPE's, but it would take a performance hit when compared to a general purpose core.

Not per se, it depends on various factors. For example the legacy code you have to deal with, or if you write your AI algorithms specificly with having the SPEs in mind.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

omgwtfbbq said:
Final-Fan said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Final-Fan said:

Turns out I forgot that little detail -- which would have happened no matter how much of an expert I was or wasn't. Oh well. But still, there has to be some advantage "1 core and 7 SPEs [edit: AND a GPU]" has over "3 cores and 1 GPU". It just can't be a one way street.

[edit2: And it may not be intentional, but you now seem to be saying that the PPE has to do AI and physics, instead of being able to move physics work to the SPEs.

[Also, one of the SPEs helps to run the OS as well as "security", so that does in fact take load off of the PPE that remains on the Xenon in the 360. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_Hardware )]

Of course there are advantages of 1 core, 7 SPE, I GPU over 3 core, 1 GPU. That advantage is not AI, due to the design of the SPEs and the nature of AI. However, many other things will of course have benifits on the Cell architecture. You're exactly right, it can't be a one way street ;)

as for your edit2, no it's not intentional, Physics will be on the SPE's. However, you have to remember that there are many other things other than Physics and AI that will have to be run on the PPE.

I would never have guessed that considering I just mentioned that the OS runs (partially) on the PPE. (/sarcasm)  But as you can see, many of those things are also able to be done by the SPEs.  Yes, there are some things that the PPE simply must do, such as coordinating the SPEs, but I doubt that that will cripple the Cell's performance.  

It seems (here I also look at your dialog with MikeB) that you are now shifting (or perhaps clarifying) your argument from "the 360 architecture can do BETTER AI" to "the 360 architecture can do AI more EFFICIENTLY", which is a completely different argument, and one I am much less inclined to take issue with.   

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

They can both handle AI period. Not sure why people need all the technical jargon when they are both next gen systems that can both do incredible things compared to last gen. We should just be lucky we get such powerful machines without having to spend $1000+ on a super rig gaming PC. We get all the best games designed for these consoles. EVentually most will have all three systems because of price drops and gamers just want to play games in the end so all this fanboyism will go down some.

I think its sad that people are arguing about this kind of thing armed with technical jargon they probably dont really comprehend and/or have no experience with.

Sure its easy enough to 'Google' these things and throw alot of fancy jargon out there, but how many fanboys actually know WTF they are talking about aside from repeating some sh*t you read somewhere else ( I dont care if its the technical summaries written by the Cell/Xenon development teams themselves)

No disrespect to those who do not fall under this category.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network
elnino334 said:
They can both handle AI period. Not sure why people need all the technical jargon when they are both next gen systems that can both do incredible things compared to last gen. We should just be lucky we get such powerful machines without having to spend $1000+ on a super rig gaming PC. We get all the best games designed for these consoles. EVentually most will have all three systems because of price drops and gamers just want to play games in the end so all this fanboyism will go down some.

Agreed. 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

friedtofu said:

I think its sad that people are arguing about this kind of thing armed with technical jargon they probably dont really comprehend and/or have no experience with.

Sure its easy enough to 'Google' these things and throw alot of fancy jargon out there, but how many fanboys actually know WTF they are talking about aside from repeating some sh*t you read somewhere else ( I dont care if its the technical summaries written by the Cell/Xenon development teams themselves)

No disrespect to those who do not fall under this category.

I believe your disdain is misplaced.  Of the people who have heavily participated in debates on this thread, I'm probably the least knowledgeable -- and I do understand the terminology and concepts, even if I have no clue how to do such things myself. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!