By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Dev: PS3 Can't Handle AI as well as the 360

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:

Yes, Sony hands out dev tools... Tools that I've read several developers publicly complain about. Hell, I read awhile back that they sent one dev their kit and the book was in friggin' Japanese... They hadn't even bothered to translate it.

I'm sure SC5 could run on the PS3 if built from the ground up for it... But with the small userbase and the game releasing within six months, why would Ubisoft bother spending that much money at this point in time?

I just wonder how many times people have to read about developers complaining about the Cell before some people around here actually start believing that the PS3 might be a nightmare to program for.

i was meaning the EDGE tools.. not the original tools that came in the dev kit... the EDGE tools were just released at GDC 2007...

Ah, yes. Hopefully those will be vastly superior to what I have head Sony has been shipping for the past year and a half. I'm not against the PS3 (next month I'm going in half on one with a guy I co-write with on another site), I'm just against Sony making so many stupid moves over the past two years. They backed themselves into this corner and deserve to be called out for it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

To quote myself from a couple years ago from a PS3 thread on another public forum:

"I understand that games developers may not be too fond of the idea of having to learn new ways to write their software. "

"Today single CPU solutions are dominant, thus multithreading isn't really that much of a benefit. Software developers who mainly write for single processor solutions don't like doing extra (time=money) work to get the most out of multithreading for other platforms. "

"After seeing consumers experiencing better quality gaming I believe this will raise the bar for others to follow and IMO it makes sense that they try to do this as soon as possible. If consumers expect something more exciting I don't think they will have the luxury to wait 4-5 years time to adapt their software projects"

The Cell processor from a technological perspective is far more powerful than the XBox 360's Xenon processor for calculating AI. IMO this developer's incompetence proves nothing and such comments were to be exptected (like I pointed out several years ago). I think good quality first party games will likely drive 3rd parties to adapt, like already seems to be the case for Epic.

Developing companies often make stupid comments like ID Software claiming Doom couldn''t be done on the Amiga, but soon after Doom got open sourced I was able to play Doom on my Amiga 2000 from the 80s (something you couldn't do on PCs from the same period of time). Epic also made stupid comments on Gears of War not being possible on the PS3, yet the Killzone 2-alpha kicks its arse royally from a technical perspective.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Is it so wrong for the PS3 to have inferior AI? Have people become so cozy with the idea that it does everything better? It's an apple and the 360 is an orange by difference of their technologies, clearly one is going to excell at other aspects over the other even if only minutely. The Wii has better motion controls than the PS3 but I don't see that being a big deal (at least not anymore), this is just something that will have to be let go. Developers having to work harder for the PS3 is a given, it will be the PS3's largest handicap so a situation like this is nothing to be worried about or seen or disrupting its slow pace.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

If you look at the original interview in Gameplayer the Ubisoft dev only said "It's Never going to come out on the PS3 or Wii."

The line after that, "It's a logical decision...the PS3 can't handle AI nearly as well as the 360" was added by the interviewer and was not a quote the dev.

I'll just repost what I said in the other thread.

___

Seeing that they have an exclusive agreement with Microsoft, is that much different than a PS3 exclusive developer such as Naughty Dog saying that Uncharted can't be done on the 360?

I personally think that the Ubisoft guy who said that quickly ran home to his mailbox to pull out his freshly written check before the ink dried.

Around the Network

I want everyone in this thread to keep their eyes peeled for reviews of Splinter Cell on the 360, and see what the reviews have to say about the AI.

MikeB said:

The Cell processor from a technological perspective is far more powerful than the XBox 360's Xenon processor for calculating AI. IMO this developer's incompetence proves nothing and such comments were to be exptected (like I pointed out several years ago).

What do you base this on?  Do you know the developers? Do they have a history of incompetence?  How do you know the Cell processor is "far more powerful than the XBox 360's Xenon processor for calculating AI"?

We have the Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed team stating that the Cell is inferior for AI.  If you want to disagree, can you provide some kind of link supporting your claims, or at least any kind of argument or supporting evidence?

thermal7 said:
MikeB said:

The Cell processor from a technological perspective is far more powerful than the XBox 360's Xenon processor for calculating AI. IMO this developer's incompetence proves nothing and such comments were to be exptected (like I pointed out several years ago).

What do you base this on? Do you know the developers? Do they have a history of incompetence? How do you know the Cell processor is "far more powerful than the XBox 360's Xenon processor for calculating AI"?

We have the Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed team stating that the Cell is inferior for AI. If you want to disagree, can you provide some kind of link supporting your claims, or at least any kind of argument or supporting evidence?

He's basing this on "his opinion"...

Saiyar said:
If you look at the original interview in Gameplayer the Ubisoft dev only said "It's Never going to come out on the PS3 or Wii."

The line after that, "It's a logical decision...the PS3 can't handle AI nearly as well as the 360" was added by the interviewer and was not a quote the dev.

That is a truly excellent point!

/End thread

[edit: While the interviewer does state that "he candidly told us how the PS3 can’t handle AI nearly as well as the 360", without a direct quote we have no way of knowing that the interviewer didn't misinterpret something like "and the PS3 is a lot harder to do good AI on".]

[edit2: Source: http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/PREVIEWS/PREVIEWGAME/tabid/1484/Default.aspx?CID=bb1443ed-30f8-4eb2-b212-8926111caf49&v7Pager=3 ]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

MikeB said:
To quote myself from a couple years ago from a PS3 thread on another public forum:

"I understand that games developers may not be too fond of the idea of having to learn new ways to write their software. "

"Today single CPU solutions are dominant, thus multithreading isn't really that much of a benefit. Software developers who mainly write for single processor solutions don't like doing extra (time=money) work to get the most out of multithreading for other platforms. "

"After seeing consumers experiencing better quality gaming I believe this will raise the bar for others to follow and IMO it makes sense that they try to do this as soon as possible. If consumers expect something more exciting I don't think they will have the luxury to wait 4-5 years time to adapt their software projects"

The Cell processor from a technological perspective is far more powerful than the XBox 360's Xenon processor for calculating AI. IMO this developer's incompetence proves nothing and such comments were to be exptected (like I pointed out several years ago). I think good quality first party games will likely drive 3rd parties to adapt, like already seems to be the case for Epic.

Developing companies often make stupid comments like ID Software claiming Doom couldn''t be done on the Amiga, but soon after Doom got open sourced I was able to play Doom on my Amiga 2000 from the 80s (something you couldn't do on PCs from the same period of time). Epic also made stupid comments on Gears of War not being possible on the PS3, yet the Killzone 2-alpha kicks its arse royally from a technical perspective.

Why are you comparing one game to another? Have you tried porting Gears of War to the PS3 and let game run in the same quality and have all the same content as it was on the 360? Not to mention Killzone 2 hasn't been released yet. Sure, take one very small portion of a future game and say it's much better than an entire full game released one year ago. Oh yeah, quoting yourself tells me you have a very high regard of yourself. Like a huge ego is something you should be proud of.