By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Dev: PS3 Can't Handle AI as well as the 360

ssj12 said:

no im saying Sony is handing out assistance for developers. 1st party devs developed the tools Sony gave to 3rd party so 3rd party should be able to accomplish tasks just as well as 1st party.

How would 1st party not have an edge on the tools when they developed them? 

Yes, Sony hands out dev tools... Tools that I've read several developers publicly complain about. Hell, I read awhile back that they sent one dev their kit and the book was in friggin' Japanese... They hadn't even bothered to translate it.

I'm sure SC5 could run on the PS3 if built from the ground up for it... But with the small userbase and the game releasing within six months, why would Ubisoft bother spending that much money at this point in time?

I just wonder how many times people have to read about developers complaining about the Cell before some people around here actually start believing that the PS3 might be a nightmare to program for.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Dolla Dolla said:
ssj12 said:
Resistance was what 3 threads and had some of the best AI I've ever faced on a console game so UbiSoft has no excuse for their developers to not have enough knowledge with the added help of the tools Sony has released to help them develop games make great PS3 games. With PCs having 4 cores now doesnt that mean they will have trouble making PC games too now?

Are you suggesting that games published by Sony don't have an edge on the PS3 tools versus a 3rd party developer?

no im saying Sony is handing out assistance for developers. 1st party devs developed the tools Sony gave to 3rd party so 3rd party should be able to accomplish tasks just as well as 1st party.

How would 1st party not have an edge on the tools when they developed them?

You're kinda flip flopping. You're saying 1st party should have an edge on the tools, but then you're saying 3rd party should be able to accomplish tasks just as well as 1st party. So ..... which is it?

I'm saying first party has an edge and can do things 3rd party can't, which is why Ubisoft can probably harness the 360's power much better than the PS3's power. The PS3 is more difficult to program for, that's plain and simple. Being harder to program for probably means it has more power to unlock, it'll just take 3rd parties a lot longer than the 1st party devs. 

MontanaHatchet said:
leo-j said:
Soriku said:
I don't know, but it seems the PS3 is too hard to develop for resulting in worse AI, etc. 360 is hard too but not nearly as hard as the PS3.

And again I agree, developers are used to using 2 or 3 threads, ubisoft once stated its impossible to work with 7 threads at the same time. Killzone 2 is an example of how much BS they are saying, as well as bringing into the public.

The problem is that Killzone 2 has a budget of 41 million dollars. That's the highest budget of any game ever made...by far.

The way he said it made me think that he was tired of being asked why it wasn't on the PS3 and he just needed a BS answer so the interviewer would drop the subject. That's my opinion.

Besides, no game to date could use AI well enough that the PS3 couldn't handle it.

Can you please explain how you know this?

Also, leo-j will say anything he can think of to make "his" precious system sound great. If he really knew what he was talking about I'm sure he would go into more detail. I'm not saying I know exactly how it works, but at least I don't try.

Just kiss the tip.

I don't really care. It's Ubisoft, and Ubisoft generally don't make good ports. I also don't think Sony have spent that much time with all the developers yet. EA, Ubisoft, Konami, R* among more are all having some soft of issue developing for the PS3. These issues will take time to sort out, even with Sony's assistance.

This could also be Ubisoft talking out their ass because they don't want to port the game....

HA.

Ubi talking PS3 dev, how would they know anything they suck at it.

Ai is mathematics, it pretty well known thats what Cell excels at. You just got to program it the right way. Those fools should give Insomniacs a call.

Next Splinter Cell is a 360 exclusive, theres no reason why it can be compared to Killzone or MGS4 

Around the Network

hum I'm highly doubting that KZ 2 will impress us by it's AI.... and it's not like you have to have incredibly complex AI for a FPS/TPS anyway.... games like conviction and assassin's creed both have a crowd AI... which is probably way more complex than others and needs way more individual behavior to be interesting to use.... and that's exactly the weakness of the PS3... it's not adequate for that kind of thing... so yeah it is believable... and I don't see why they wouldn't deliver to PS3 if it was possible in every way (meaning money wise too)

Hus said:

HA.

Ai is mathematics, it pretty well known thats what Cell excels at. You just got to program it the right way. Those fools should give Insomniacs a call.

Next Splinter Cell is a 360 exclusive, theres no reason why it can be compared to Killzone or MGS4 

Yea I shouldn't have compared it Killzone or MGS4. I just felt that Ubisoft couldn't handle the PS3 so I had to compare to developers that could. Ubisoft must be really soft...lol

and I wonder how with all the devs from everywhere complaining about the cell... how can everybody could lie.... you giving the conspiracy theory kind of argument all the time... it's annoying....
there the Cell sucks for DEV and cost too much money to develop on it get use to it... it's a fact... especially with a poor user base..... you can flame me all you want... it won't change that it's what most 3rd party think.... even before the PS3 was out the dev were already saying it.... it's not new....

Takashii said:
Hus said:

HA.

Yea I shouldn't have compared it Killzone or MGS4. I just felt that Ubisoft couldn't handle the PS3 so I had to compare to developers that could. Ubisoft must be really soft...lol

and technically it's not the same game.. it's like if I was comparing mario kart to PGR...it doesn't have the same programing needs.... 

endimion said:
and I wonder how with all the devs from everywhere complaining about the cell... how can everybody could lie.... you giving the conspiracy theory kind of argument all the time... it's annoying....
there the Cell sucks for DEV and cost too much money to develop on it get use to it... it's a fact... especially with a poor user base..... you can flame me all you want... it won't change that it's what most 3rd party think.... even before the PS3 was out the dev were already saying it.... it's not new....

Well why the anger its just facts we are pointing out why go off and snap, the subject really isn't that serious why come out with anger. I know it isn't new news, but why would the developers complain especially Ubisoft I thought they like superior hardware as we saw last gen with the xbox.