By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft Dev: PS3 Can't Handle AI as well as the 360

I don't get it this guy is saying that Ubisoft can't make the AI better on the PS3 because the developers can't figure out how to program indipendently on the Cell Processors. of course if they are making individual Cells preform a vast multitude of tasks instead of more cell specific programing the AI will suffer.

it just seems that Ubisoft could just be honest and say to date they still have not been able to completly tap into the potential of the Cell . It is very new technology it will be Hard too develop for but as soon as they "get it" we will see a definitive shift in thier attitude. This would also save face for Ubisoft because any game that comes out that really utilizes the cell Ubisoft will have to ansewer why they couldn't figure it out.

EA takes a good aproach to PS3 development they admit they have a hard time and Now Sony is going to work closely with them to get EA running at 60fps. EA couldn't do it but Sony has a basketball game running at 60fps.

Around the Network

Ah, AI - in its glory days, it was the Holy Grail of the 1980s. Intelligent machines, which would change diapers, cook meals, shoo away door-to-door salespeople. Turned out to be complete bunkum, like most techno-utopias which confuse human creativity with human-created tools.

Honestly, the computational differences between the PS3/360 are insignificant. Both have plenty of power, arranged a little differently, but the difference isn't significant. Microsoft used to have a small advantage in terms of coding tools, but Sony has put a lot of effort into devkits and whatnot, there are lots of middleware solutions out there, too. The hardware isn't the problem, it's just that companies are often under terrible deadline pressure and can't make certain things work as well on certain platforms.

Quickdraw McGraw said:

I don't think Ubisoft should be taken even remotely serious anymore.
Ever since their "The PS3 can't run Splinter Cell: Conviction", I'd take everything they say with a nice, and biased, grain of salt.

EDIT: Whether or not it is harder to do on the PS3 makes no difference. Ubisoft is saying it isn't possible on the PS3, and that simply is not true.

I think the real problem Ubisoft has with PS3 is that, right now, they are one of only a handful of third party developers selling really well on the Wii.  Game budgets, resources, and installed bases being what they are, it's entirely possible they might focus on the Wii and 360, while making sure to vocally marginalize the system that they're not sinking loads of $ into.  You do the math.

Legend11 said:
Why didn't Sony just use a regular cpu like everyone else instead of trying to solve a problem that never existed? I can see how some people here might blame the software developers or claim they're lazy or that we just have to wait until "next year" but the fact remains that had Sony just built the thing PS3 from a game programmer's perspective instead of an engineering one we likely wouldn't be seeing all these delays, mediocre performance, and additional costs being associated with a lot of PS3 software.

Amen.

Don't forget a $$$ Blu-Ray drive that priced them out of the market.

For all of those questioning Ubisofts statements, read what shams said. If you never programmed before or you did a little but have never programmed AI or in a parallel model, just admit that you don't have enough knowledge about this.

I am here as a programmer to back up everything that shams said. I had a lot to say, but there is no need since he said everything already.

Around the Network

D D D DEFENCE :)

go ahead rubido... I'm listening... I haven't written a piece of program in 10 years (yeah I was a geek really young) I still understand the concept though... and I like that lingo.... it sounds like music to my ears... and at least I learn something..

yea, i want to hear it too. i'm a bit better than endimion tho. its only been 1 yr since my last program =P

we need more experienced programmers to give they opinion on the subject.

Why should I write what is already written? :P

I just came to back what he said. I am tired to make long posts. hehehehhe

Legend11 said:
Why didn't Sony just use a regular cpu like everyone else instead of trying to solve a problem that never existed? I can see how some people here might blame the software developers or claim they're lazy or that we just have to wait until "next year" but the fact remains that had Sony just built the thing PS3 from a game programmer's perspective instead of an engineering one we likely wouldn't be seeing all these delays, mediocre performance, and additional costs being associated with a lot of PS3 software.

Agreed.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Perhaps a Cell with two PPEs would have been a good compromise. We'll probably never know.