By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google laptops by 2010

damndl0ser said:
To some of you who think Google will be the great OS savior, don't buy into the hype. They are a business just like M$ and they will do whatever they like in order to make a better market share. They are no different than m$ in that regard, but atleast M$ doesn't hold your search habits, web browsing history, key logs, and many other things in their server farms. In order to make a Buck, or turn over to the FBI. :D

Yep. But competition is always better than monopoly. Corporations are always going to be 'evil' (that's why the free market works so well) but a monopoly situation give you all of the downsides. Apple doesn't count: 90% share is a monopoly in my opinion. The top three monopolies I dislike are Intel, Microsoft and BT.

Around the Network

Right now MS's big problem is that they aren't catering to low powered systems, and even though Win7 seems to be step in that direction, if they aren't going to make a Win7 lite for notebooks and other such small machines (i.e. 1.5ghz/single core + 1gig memory + integrated graphics) they could be in deep trouble with the upcoming (although much extended) drop of support for XP.

If you can get Linux as a known alternative for users in a business environment (something that the Google name could do) it'll help the open source movement as a whole. Now could Google be worse than MS? Yes they could. But at least with the Linux kernel there will always be alternatives (Ubuntu, Mandriva, fedora, SUSE, Debian, etc). Heck the Linux kernel is so versatile that I have a machine at my work used for electronic parts placement and it uses a custom Linux distro.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Soleron said:
Million said:
I don't ms but i fear google is potentialy more evil.

You can't do much evil with open-source code. People could 'clone' any Google OS quite easily but without the 'evil' parts (unlike Windows, where there is no perfect alternative to purchasing it).

What, in a typical consumers mind, is the difference between a Google clone and Linux as it currently stands. Both would be a viable alternative to the current leader, and Google (just like MS) would have the power to shape public opinion.

In other words MS >> (seems easier to ) Linux to the consumer to a degree that MS has some control over the market.

and possibly:

Google >> Google clone (in the same way).

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

THE GOOGLOCALYPSE HAS BEGUN

You know imagine this. No preinstalled op system in the future, you just download whatever system you want from the net. Ive just mentioned Google's cloud software which is taking market share out of Vistas pocket. Interesting......

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

damndl0ser said:
To some of you who think Google will be the great OS savior, don't buy into the hype. They are a business just like M$ and they will do whatever they like in order to make a better market share. They are no different than m$ in that regard, but atleast M$ doesn't hold your search habits, web browsing history, key logs, and many other things in their server farms. In order to make a Buck, or turn over to the FBI. :D

Btw, Wasn't it your countrys biggest ISP AT&T who worked for the government? Cutting Edge special from last yr. Id be worried about any and all corporate giants. They do favours for the gov. and the gov. does favours for them.

That does worry me about Google but not nearly as much as that mountain of security bullship you get everytime you boot up Vista.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
damndl0ser said:

Btw, Wasn't it your countrys biggest ISP AT&T who worked for the government? Cutting Edge special from last yr. Id be worried about any and all corporate giants. They do favours for the gov. and the gov. does favours for them.

That does worry me about Google but not nearly as much as that mountain of security bullship you get everytime you boot up Vista.

However it may have sounded, I was by no way defending M$.  I was just pointing out that Google isn't Mr. Inocent.  Many of these big corporations are in some way bad.  And America by no means has the monopoly on bad companies, the exist in every nation.  We just happen to be an economic powerhouse so we have more.

I only trust these big conglomorates about as far as I can through them.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Soleron said:
damndl0ser said:

Yep. But competition is always better than monopoly. Corporations are always going to be 'evil' (that's why the free market works so well) but a monopoly situation give you all of the downsides. Apple doesn't count: 90% share is a monopoly in my opinion. The top three monopolies I dislike are Intel, Microsoft and BT.

BT's monopoly is weakening, Virgin are going for it at large. It's as if Virgin has come from heaven, directly attacking BSkyB and BT (which they are essentially doing with the same bit of cable).

Google laptops sound like a terrible idea. I'm already worried enough that Google monitors my e-mail and my browsing habits. Why would I want it monitoring my computer usage? I don't understand why so many people that screamed bloody murder when Microsoft did something minor like decided to authenticate your OS every once in a while let Google have full access to pretty much the sum total of their life. Are people just that much of suckers for "free" stuff?

If this takes off MS is in trouble. While microsoft's royalties on a 1000$ computer are small peanuts, on a 300$ netbook they become significant. Linux and its ecosystem still have some issues... if Google can deliver a proper OS and ecosystem without royalties for netbooks, MS will take a huge hit there.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

If a netbook runs for 6 hrs, boots up like an ipod and costs under $400..Im all for it.otherwise.. pass

google or no google..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business