By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google laptops by 2010

im_sneaky said:
google elected world leader by 2020

"Google, change we can believe in"

hello how are you.

Around the Network
Untouch said:
Didnt someone say a while ago that google wasnt ever gonna make a computer?

OS and computer are two different things. Google isnt making computer hardware. They just might have software to run the hardware.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Untouch said:
Didnt someone say a while ago that google wasnt ever gonna make a computer?

OS and computer are two different things. Google isnt making computer hardware. They just might have software to run the hardware.

Exactly. I just said "Google laptop" so that people would know what I mean. Google would make the OS and actual laptop manufacturers would make the case. Google may have some involvement in the design, however.

MS, your days are numbered.

I don't like ms but i fear google is potentialy more evil.

Around the Network
Million said:
I don't ms but i fear google is potentialy more evil.

You can't do much evil with open-source code. People could 'clone' any Google OS quite easily but without the 'evil' parts (unlike Windows, where there is no perfect alternative to purchasing it).

Soleron said:
Million said:

You can't do much evil with open-source code. People could 'clone' any Google OS quite easily but without the 'evil' parts (unlike Windows, where there is no perfect alternative to purchasing it).

is open source googles  strategy indefinetly ? maybe they could do an "ms" as soon as they obtained enough marketshare.

Soleron said:
Million said:
I don't ms but i fear google is potentialy more evil.

Which is exactly what happened to Chrome.

Million said:
Soleron said:
Million said:

is open source googles  strategy indefinetly ? maybe they could do an "ms" as soon as they obtained enough marketshare.

Google knows that the only way to beat MS (at least in the mobile phone and netbook market) is to use a strategy that MS cannot: giving the OS away for free and making it compatible with existing Linux/Java apps (also free) so it is usable on day one.

Once they do have a market though, their plan is to transition much of the services you use on the desktop (e-mail, office, etc.) into the "Cloud". We have begun seeing this with Gmail and Google Docs, but if they had control over the OS then more integration would be possible. That is the "evil" part of the service - the online parts will not be open and will not be compatible with other applications. Their revenue model is i) advertising on the service itself, ii) subscriptions for professional users (but never for all users) and iii) support contracts for large businesses.

As I said, in order to make people adopt it and so Google don't have to write most of the OS themselves, the OS part will always be open-source. The services and applications will not be, and in that respect they will be worse than MS since you won't be able to save your files to your computer's harddrive.

To some of you who think Google will be the great OS savior, don't buy into the hype. They are a business just like M$ and they will do whatever they like in order to make a better market share. They are no different than m$ in that regard, but atleast M$ doesn't hold your search habits, web browsing history, key logs, and many other things in their server farms. In order to make a Buck, or turn over to the FBI. :D

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!