By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone think Sony will pull the plug on the PS3 or PSP?

HappySqurriel said:
Takashii said:
HappySqurriel said:
Takashii said:
HappySqurriel said:

The answer to this question is certainly dependant on how you define "Pull the Plug" ...

The PSP and Nintendo DS are rapidly approaching the standard end of life (5 years) and could potentially be announcing a follow up system as of E3 or TGS in 2008. Sony could simply plan to replace the PSP in 2010/2011 and hope for an improvement in marketshare (and let it die if it doesn't meet expectations).

The PS3 is a much uglier beast ...

If you assume the PS3 will be hitting $300 in 2009 it could end up being an expensive system (far more expensive than its competition or a Blu-Ray player) which has few games being released for it, sales could stagnate, begin to fall and Sony could be force to pull it before it dies. Basically, it would be better for the Playstation brand for Sony to release an upgraded PS3 in 2009/2010 as a PS4 then to let the PS3 fall to (essentially) 0 sales and sit there for 2 years; it would become a lame product among gamers, it would enrage retailers, and third parties would have doubts that Sony could produce a system that sold at all after that.

Ok I'm not talking to much about the PSP. Its a great system that is selling extremely well, even better than the other competiors that went against Nintendo, everyone has to amit that the PSP was a true challenger to Nintendo, and on the PS3 topic that you discuss wouldn't you consider that they are following Sega footsteps with that, that would make the existing PS3 owners pissed because they purchased the PS3 for its $600 price tag and then to find out Sony is making a PS4?

My thoughts on the PS3 are based off of the "worst case" for the PS3 ... Hypothetically speaking the PS3 could get caught in a cycle of poor hardware sales leading to poor third party support which cycles back into worse hardware sales and third party support; essentially the PS3 would suffer the fate of the Sega Saturn. The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replaced the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releasing it in 2009.

Basically, it would be better for Sony to have a console which people were pissed because it was too expensive and lasted for too short of a life (but had amazing graphics and great games) than as a system which ended up only having multi-platform crapware, started to lose retail space, developers bad mouthed it, and so on.

Ok your confusing me with the Sega situation you said "The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replace the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releaseing it in 2009". Did you mean Sony or Sega because I couldn't understand Sega releasing the Dreamcast in 2009 and the Saturn having a long life. So can you fix that or am I reading it wrong?

Sorry, I meant Sega but should have said 1997/1998 ...

It has been a long time since I've had to write years as 199x and I often don't think much about leading with 200x

Okay now its more clearer now. And I agree it just seems Sega rushed the Dreamcast to the market to quick and as a result got thrashed by the PS2. Now what if the PS3 launched with the $400 price tag and it thrashed the Xbox 360 like the PS2 did the Dreamcast. Now that would of been really hilarious. LOL

Around the Network
endimion said:
vizunary said:
Bodhesatva said:

I think it's fairly unlikely, Takashii. I think what's much more likely is a radical redesign of Sony's video game philosophy, both from a hardware and software perspective. It may shock people to hear this, but Sony has declined to Microsoft-level losses over the last couple years, losing several billion dollars in the gaming industry, with no end in sight. That's unacceptable to the new boss.

So I don't think they'll pull out, they'll just radically change the way they approach games.

I think they'll have to stay toe-in-toe with whatever MS does next gen, but they both will probably reconsider/restructer their approaches... They WILL absolutely both stay in the multimedia category though, neither can afford the other to take control, like a cold war, you know? The tech jump will not be as remarkable next gen though, I think we just crossed one of the largest thresholds with HD and the forward advance will not be nearly as pricey.

hum I think we could see a even bigger jump but not coming directly from MS or Sony.... I can't wait to have my philips/LG 120" rollable touch screen TV lol :) with a PS4 or XBox  infinity  built in with HD tech, internet fully developed features, voice command,wi fi 5.1 speakers, cup warmer/cooler holder, all that with a levitating couch that can take me to EB game store while i'm playing lol :P

Now not to go off topic but that would be amazing. But cost alot.

@endimion:

The Cell is jointly developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba, so I think ( well, I would bet on it ) that they all share some of the IP and get a share of the IP licenses ;)

The same counts for HDMI, but there are more companies involved ( Sony, Hitachi, Matsushita, Philips, Thomson, Toshiba and some others.

However, controlling / possessing ( parts of ) the IP always gives the advantage over competitors and can be very profitable, even if the competition sells more devices with your technology (that is, as long as they pay for the IP-licence)

And I don't think MS would really want to go into the electronics, they would more likely create a software-based business-model around the online media capabilities, but a software-model alone would not get them there.
Besides, Sony has a better brand and more experience in consumer electronics, people mostly think of computers / windows when they hear the name "Microsoft".
But with Sony, they think about TV / Video / Audio and Playstation. ;)

SamuelRSmith said:
Well, for one, weren't you a big Microsoft fan before, with a huge 360 logo in your signature?

Anywho, I don't see Sony pulling the plug on any and I see a PS4 and a PSP2 being released. I also think Sony will learn from their mistakes and I see them getting good strong 2nd places in both areas next generation, I don't think Nintendo will be knocked from 1st place for atleast another generation after this.

First to your statement at the begining I was a big Microsoft fan, but at that time I was undecided on which system to choose, but now that I decided and I'm saving for a PS3 now its more then advised for me to say I'm a Sony fanboy. So you can disregard that info you saw.

On topic: SamuelRSmith one thing your right about is that Sony is going to learn from their mistakes and continue on and fight their way through.

Takashii said:
Bodhesatva said:
mitsuhide said:
I think they would only leave hardware if the losses on the hardware where pulling EVERY other part of the company down like SonyColumbia profits where down considerably due to PS3/4/5/6 costing that much to keep afloat they have to feed it with money from the rest of the company.
This has about a 1billion:1 chance in happening.

You do realize that the other parts of Sony are already heavily funding the PS3, correct? They've funneled several billion dollars away from their other divisions to support the PS3. This is already happening. The question really is: how deep in the hole are they willing to go, and how long are they willing to sustain it? I think the answers are, generally speaking, "very deep" and "quite a while," so I don't think there is much to worry about, but the general premise is already true: the gaming division has been hemorrhaging money for two years now, and there is no end in sight.

Now Bod can I get sources on what you just said, I do believe that they are using their other divisons for money but can I get a source on this please!!

Takashii, there's no need to get sources on that.  We know from the reports that the gaming department has lost a lot of money in the last year or two.  Large companies work such that profits from one division offset the losses in another division.  The billions they are losing in the game department are offset by taking profits from the other departments (or outside credit funding if other departments are not making enough) such that the whole company can say they made profit or not.  

Around the Network

In all honesty even if the ps3 dosen't win i dont see a real chance of losing because of the 10 year strategy they are using. Right now its hard to say that they are losing because the PS2 is still selling quite well and there isn't a big reason to jump to next gen for many people who belive prices will go down to thier liking. The PS2 still has decent enough software being released to support it for another year especially seeing as the games are easy to make simultaniusly with Wii games.

Only when the PS2 has lost all steam and is selling like GC and xbox will we see how things pan out.
in US sony can be in third and still be fine as they are a lockin at nothing lower than #2 in Europe and Japan.

Anyone else think that because of the PSP being introduced onto the Handheld market that nintendo got their shit together. I honestly think that 95% of the GBA games suxed and was carried by pokemon even though thoes havent changed much since red and blue. now with the DS the game quiltiy is Much higher and alot of new IPs are being made for it. The PSP's multimedia capibilities made it alot more accessible to older gaming crowds as the games are in general focused for them and using it to listen to music and watch movies(from memstick) gave it much more value and saves pocket space by not needing an ipod.

Takashii said:

oooookkkkkk you can chill out its not serious. I was just asking a question thats all.

Well .. I didn't mean it that serious ;)

darconi said:
Takashii said:
Bodhesatva said:
mitsuhide said:
I think they would only leave hardware if the losses on the hardware where pulling EVERY other part of the company down like SonyColumbia profits where down considerably due to PS3/4/5/6 costing that much to keep afloat they have to feed it with money from the rest of the company.
This has about a 1billion:1 chance in happening.

You do realize that the other parts of Sony are already heavily funding the PS3, correct? They've funneled several billion dollars away from their other divisions to support the PS3. This is already happening. The question really is: how deep in the hole are they willing to go, and how long are they willing to sustain it? I think the answers are, generally speaking, "very deep" and "quite a while," so I don't think there is much to worry about, but the general premise is already true: the gaming division has been hemorrhaging money for two years now, and there is no end in sight.

Now Bod can I get sources on what you just said, I do believe that they are using their other divisons for money but can I get a source on this please!!

Takashii, there's no need to get sources on that.  We know from the reports that the gaming department has lost a lot of money in the last year or two.  Large companies work such that profits from one division offset the losses in another division.  The billions they are losing in the game department are offset by taking profits from the other departments (or outside credit funding if other departments are not making enough) such that the whole company can say they made profit or not.  

Ok thanks for giving the heads up I just thought that you should always have a source when discussing info like that. But again thanks for that information you just gave me. It seems like your saying "Takashii thats common sense" and in a way it is. Thanks!

Willem said:
@endimion:

The Cell is jointly developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba, so I think ( well, I would bet on it ) that they all share some of the IP and get a share of the IP licenses ;)

The same counts for HDMI, but there are more companies involved ( Sony, Hitachi, Matsushita, Philips, Thomson, Toshiba and some others.

However, controlling / possessing ( parts of ) the IP always gives the advantage over competitors and can be very profitable, even if the competition sells more devices with your technology (that is, as long as they pay for the IP-licence)

And I don't think MS would really want to go into the electronics, they would more likely create a software-based business-model around the online media capabilities, but a software-model alone would not get them there.
Besides, Sony has a better brand and more experience in consumer electronics, people mostly think of computers / windows when they hear the name "Microsoft".
But with Sony, they think about TV / Video / Audio and Playstation. ;)

thanks for the update you made me check that

For HDMI 

The HDMI Founders include consumer electronics manufacturers Hitachi, Matsushita Electric Industrial (Panasonic/National/Quasar), Philips, Sony, Thomson (RCA), Toshiba, and Silicon Image. Digital Content Protection, LLC (a subsidiary of Intel) is providing HDCP for HDMI. In addition, HDMI has the support of major motion picture producers Fox, Universal, Warner Bros., and Disney, and system operators DirecTV and EchoStar (Dish Network) as well as CableLabs and Samsung.

DAMN that's a lot of folks lol  

for cell 

Cell is a microprocessor architecture jointly developed by a Sony, Toshiba, and IBM, an alliance known as "STI."

grimygunz said:
In all honesty even if the ps3 dosen't win i dont see a real chance of losing because of the 10 year strategy they are using. Right now its hard to say that they are losing because the PS2 is still selling quite well and there isn't a big reason to jump to next gen for many people who belive prices will go down to thier liking. The PS2 still has decent enough software being released to support it for another year especially seeing as the games are easy to make simultaniusly with Wii games.

Only when the PS2 has lost all steam and is selling like GC and xbox will we see how things pan out.
in US sony can be in third and still be fine as they are a lockin at nothing lower than #2 in Europe and Japan.

Anyone else think that because of the PSP being introduced onto the Handheld market that nintendo got their shit together. I honestly think that 95% of the GBA games suxed and was carried by pokemon even though thoes havent changed much since red and blue. now with the DS the game quiltiy is Much higher and alot of new IPs are being made for it. The PSP's multimedia capibilities made it alot more accessible to older gaming crowds as the games are in general focused for them and using it to listen to music and watch movies(from memstick) gave it much more value and saves pocket space by not needing an ipod.

And to be honest I agree with you. As long as the PS2 is selling at a considerably high its fine for Sony. And I agree with the GBA they did suck, the only thing was caring that platform was Pokemon and I agree with you talking about the PSP, it is the most convient little device ever and I'm glad to be an owner of it to!