By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone think Sony will pull the plug on the PS3 or PSP?

Sony pulling plugs ?
Quiting the multi-billion business ?
Have you even thought about it yourself ?

That PS3 comes with a BR-player where they will be making money,
It supports HDMI 1.3 where they will be making money (more demand on the HD screens),
The Cell processor is a multifunctional processor where they will be making money and not just in game-consoles, as well as video/photo-camera's, TV's, Stereo's ... every piece of electronics they make can contain one or more Cells, even the remote.

Unlike for Nintendo or Microsoft, for sony it's not just the game-business, it's also everything around it and the profitable IP licenses.

If we were at 2010 and the PS3 / BR business wouldn't sell at all, your question might be valid.
But I expect that 2008 will be a bigger year for the PS3 ( more exclusive titles, enhancements and price-cuts ).

So no, they're not going to pull anything at all.

And the one's who are complaining about the PS3 not having games are mostly xbox-players.
They've got 1000's of titles, yet it seems they currently only want Halo3, Madden NFL and MGS4.

So don't mind the hating, it's only negative energy

Around the Network

@Bodhesatva
I totally agree especialy the second post

Machina-AX said:
No. The PS3 still has an enormous amount of potential (both in terms of the games in development and hardware sales). And the PSP is doing well isn't it? :o

OT - Nice background in your profile Takashii.

Thanks man I just had to make a change. Final Fantasy XIII rocks!!!

On Topic- Machina-AX I agree with your statement considering the PS3 is only in its first year and as I was stating to Montana about the PS3 its you can't compare the PS3 to the PS2 because Sony price it at such a different price. And considering what if Sony made the PS3 at the price of $400 wouldn't you think PS3 would thrash the heck out of the Xbox 360?? Its possible in my opinion considering the PS brand name and its games. The PSP is doing fine it has 32% of the market its doing better than those other competitors that went against Nintendo in the past.

Willem said:
Sony pulling plugs ?

It supports HDMI 1.3 where they will be making money (more demand on the HD screens),
The Cell processor is a multifunctional processor where they will be making money and not just in game-consoles, as well as video/photo-camera's, TV's, Stereo's ... every piece of electronics they make can contain one or more Cells, even the remote.

Unlike for Nintendo or Microsoft, for sony it's not just the game-business, it's also everything around it and the profitable IP licenses.

If we were at 2010 and the PS3 / BR business wouldn't sell at all, your question might be valid.
But I expect that 2008 will be a bigger year for the PS3 ( more exclusive titles, enhancements and price-cuts ).

correct me if I'm wrong but HDMI is not a Sony proprietary format neither is the Cell ???

and the first company out of the three who expressed the dream of doing more than just a console in the living room was MS not Sony... again correct me if I'm wrong ???

but yeah you right they won't pull out the plug... at least not any time soon...  

Takashii said:
HappySqurriel said:
Takashii said:
HappySqurriel said:

The answer to this question is certainly dependant on how you define "Pull the Plug" ...

The PSP and Nintendo DS are rapidly approaching the standard end of life (5 years) and could potentially be announcing a follow up system as of E3 or TGS in 2008. Sony could simply plan to replace the PSP in 2010/2011 and hope for an improvement in marketshare (and let it die if it doesn't meet expectations).

The PS3 is a much uglier beast ...

If you assume the PS3 will be hitting $300 in 2009 it could end up being an expensive system (far more expensive than its competition or a Blu-Ray player) which has few games being released for it, sales could stagnate, begin to fall and Sony could be force to pull it before it dies. Basically, it would be better for the Playstation brand for Sony to release an upgraded PS3 in 2009/2010 as a PS4 then to let the PS3 fall to (essentially) 0 sales and sit there for 2 years; it would become a lame product among gamers, it would enrage retailers, and third parties would have doubts that Sony could produce a system that sold at all after that.

Ok I'm not talking to much about the PSP. Its a great system that is selling extremely well, even better than the other competiors that went against Nintendo, everyone has to amit that the PSP was a true challenger to Nintendo, and on the PS3 topic that you discuss wouldn't you consider that they are following Sega footsteps with that, that would make the existing PS3 owners pissed because they purchased the PS3 for its $600 price tag and then to find out Sony is making a PS4?

My thoughts on the PS3 are based off of the "worst case" for the PS3 ... Hypothetically speaking the PS3 could get caught in a cycle of poor hardware sales leading to poor third party support which cycles back into worse hardware sales and third party support; essentially the PS3 would suffer the fate of the Sega Saturn. The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replaced the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releasing it in 2009.

Basically, it would be better for Sony to have a console which people were pissed because it was too expensive and lasted for too short of a life (but had amazing graphics and great games) than as a system which ended up only having multi-platform crapware, started to lose retail space, developers bad mouthed it, and so on.

Ok your confusing me with the Sega situation you said "The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replace the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releaseing it in 2009". Did you mean Sony or Sega because I couldn't understand Sega releasing the Dreamcast in 2009 and the Saturn having a long life. So can you fix that or am I reading it wrong?

Sorry, I meant Sega but should have said 1997/1998 ...

It has been a long time since I've had to write years as 199x and I often don't think much about leading with 200x

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

I think it's fairly unlikely, Takashii. I think what's much more likely is a radical redesign of Sony's video game philosophy, both from a hardware and software perspective. It may shock people to hear this, but Sony has declined to Microsoft-level losses over the last couple years, losing several billion dollars in the gaming industry, with no end in sight. That's unacceptable to the new boss.

So I don't think they'll pull out, they'll just radically change the way they approach games.  

I think they'll have to stay toe-in-toe with whatever MS does next gen, but they both will probably reconsider/restructer their approaches... They WILL absolutely both stay in the multimedia category though, neither can afford the other to take control, like a cold war, you know? The tech jump will not be as remarkable next gen though, I think we just crossed one of the largest thresholds with HD and the forward advance will not be nearly as pricey.

Willem said:
Sony pulling plugs ?

oooookkkkkk you can chill out its not serious. I was just asking a question thats all. And considering to you like I said earlier in this thread. Its to early to warrant the PS3 out of the league. Its only a year in. Look at the Nintendo Wii its $250 its at a good price right now and its selling well because their aren't any competitors going against it right now. But if that PS3 was at $400...Whew it would be a way more competive market than what the Xbox 360 is doing right now against the Wii. I know the PS3 has more to come in the future I'm just pointing out to those now that they are saying the PS3 is selling poorly its like the Dreamcast and the Gamecube now..Well to those that said that so be it. Its a PS3 its a console thats $600 what to you expect. 

endimion said:
@Bodhesatva
I totally agree especialy the second post

<------- big DC fan here.... and I dream everyday that Sony follows Sega's footsteps... but it's just a dream and won't happen... :D

Yea endimion you can keep dreaming because thats never going to happen. This was Sony's first mistake not unlike Sega's mistakes where they release the 32X, Sega CD, Saturn. Sony only made a mistake with the PS3 design and its pricing strategy.

endimion said:
Willem said:
Sony pulling plugs ?

correct me if I'm wrong but HDMI is not a Sony proprietary format neither is the Cell ???

and the first company out of the three who expressed the dream of doing more than just a console in the living room was MS not Sony... again correct me if I'm wrong ???

but yeah you right they won't pull out the plug... at least not any time soon...  

yea your right endimion Microsoft did say they would like to evade the living room and I agree Sony isn't pulling no plug on none of their systems anytime soon. We will have a warning when they start to send add-ons like Sega did and thats when we have a clear understanding whether they are in trouble or not.

vizunary said:
Bodhesatva said:

I think it's fairly unlikely, Takashii. I think what's much more likely is a radical redesign of Sony's video game philosophy, both from a hardware and software perspective. It may shock people to hear this, but Sony has declined to Microsoft-level losses over the last couple years, losing several billion dollars in the gaming industry, with no end in sight. That's unacceptable to the new boss.

So I don't think they'll pull out, they'll just radically change the way they approach games.

I think they'll have to stay toe-in-toe with whatever MS does next gen, but they both will probably reconsider/restructer their approaches... They WILL absolutely both stay in the multimedia category though, neither can afford the other to take control, like a cold war, you know? The tech jump will not be as remarkable next gen though, I think we just crossed one of the largest thresholds with HD and the forward advance will not be nearly as pricey.

hum I think we could see a even bigger jump but not coming directly from MS or Sony.... I can't wait to have my philips/LG 120" rollable touch screen TV lol :) with a PS4 or XBox  infinity  built in with HD tech, internet fully developed features, voice command,wi fi 5.1 speakers, cup warmer/cooler holder, all that with a levitating couch that can take me to EB game store while i'm playing lol :P