By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone think Sony will pull the plug on the PS3 or PSP?

I was thinking about this when I was posting a message on a thread talking about "If Nintendo wins this gen.." I currently don't see Sony pulling the plug on the PS3 or PSP just for the simple fact, they aren't going to want to follow in the footsteps of Sega and they have the best hardware out for each market (handheld and console market)I mean with sales looking the way they look, is it possible, People say the PSP was a failure, but when you look at the market share Sony PSP took a chunk of the market from Nintendo worldwide (not in Japan). PS3 is slow starting off considering its price and its only 1 year in its lifetime. What do you guys think about it? Why all the Sony PS3 and PSP hate?? Did Sony do something wrong? Does everyone won't Sony to leave the console market all together?? Whats the problem?

Around the Network

I think it's fairly unlikely, Takashii. I think what's much more likely is a radical redesign of Sony's video game philosophy, both from a hardware and software perspective. It may shock people to hear this, but Sony has declined to Microsoft-level losses over the last couple years, losing several billion dollars in the gaming industry, with no end in sight. That's unacceptable to the new boss.

So I don't think they'll pull out, they'll just radically change the way they approach games.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

No, just because the console isn't number 1 doesn't mean it's worthless. They're redesigning the PSP which shows they're still investing in that and I really think the PS3 is going to be a lot like the Gamecube; not on the top but the people that have it love it and it will have some great games.

Well, for one, weren't you a big Microsoft fan before, with a huge 360 logo in your signature?

Anywho, I don't see Sony pulling the plug on any and I see a PS4 and a PSP2 being released. I also think Sony will learn from their mistakes and I see them getting good strong 2nd places in both areas next generation, I don't think Nintendo will be knocked from 1st place for atleast another generation after this.

Not a chance, especially for PSP. It will probably end up selling around 50 million in its lifetime. That means a lot of money for Sony.

As for PS3, it's slightly more likely, but it will probably never happen. Sony will sell a decent amount.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
No, just because the console isn't number 1 doesn't mean it's worthless. They're redesigning the PSP which shows they're still investing in that and I really think the PS3 is going to be a lot like the Gamecube; not on the top but the people that have it love it and it will have some great games.

This is more from a user's perspective, but I think it's also true.

Heck, look at the Dreamcast: it was Sega's hardware death knell, and many still consider it the best console ever made. "Not winning the race" does not mean "No one likes it and it has no good games and it sucks." Even if the PS3 does not "win," (which I think is likely), it will still have a bunch of great games made for it, both now and in the future.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

I think it's fairly unlikely, Takashii. I think what's much more likely is a radical redesign of Sony's video game philosophy, both from a hardware and software perspective. It may shock people to hear this, but Sony has declined to Microsoft-level losses over the last couple years, losing several billion dollars in the gaming industry, with no end in sight. That's unacceptable to the new boss.

So I don't think they'll pull out, they'll just radically change the way they approach games.  

That's what I figured I think Sony came into the next-generation thinking that they should make a console that does it all type-thing and it back-fired on them..when they developed the PS2 it was all well in good..I think it was the original Xbox that got them because they new last gen it was all about graphics...

Thats one hell of a moronic topic, nice troll job.

Bodhesatva said:
twesterm said:

This is more from a user's perspective, but I think it's also true.

Heck, look at the Dreamcast: it was Sega's hardware death knell, and many still consider it the best console ever made. "Not winning the race" does not mean "No one likes it and it has no good games and it sucks." Even if the PS3 does not "win," (which I think is likely), it will still have a bunch of great games made for it, both now and in the future.

Well I will be satsfied being in last its nothing wrong with it...and I see that Sony isn't catching first place no time soon...As a matter of fact whats with the first, second and third place thing, why does a console have to be put in that perspective...why can't a console just be a console and be loved because of its games? why? all because if a console isn't in first it failed....Gamecube was in third place and that wasn't considered a failure...Now the Dreamcast was a failure because Sega couldn't keep up financially and thats what kept them from the Dreamcast...Whats wrong being in third place, I mean you get less third party support but your console still had a precentage of the market..

AllAll said:
Thats one hell of a moronic topic, nice troll job.

Ok what a way to troll and change the topic..If you would of looked at my profile I said I currently investing in a PS3..Read before judging...