By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone think Sony will pull the plug on the PS3 or PSP?

HappySqurriel said:

The answer to this question is certainly dependant on how you define "Pull the Plug" ...

The PSP and Nintendo DS are rapidly approaching the standard end of life (5 years) and could potentially be announcing a follow up system as of E3 or TGS in 2008. Sony could simply plan to replace the PSP in 2010/2011 and hope for an improvement in marketshare (and let it die if it doesn't meet expectations).

The PS3 is a much uglier beast ...

If you assume the PS3 will be hitting $300 in 2009 it could end up being an expensive system (far more expensive than its competition or a Blu-Ray player) which has few games being released for it, sales could stagnate, begin to fall and Sony could be force to pull it before it dies. Basically, it would be better for the Playstation brand for Sony to release an upgraded PS3 in 2009/2010 as a PS4 then to let the PS3 fall to (essentially) 0 sales and sit there for 2 years; it would become a lame product among gamers, it would enrage retailers, and third parties would have doubts that Sony could produce a system that sold at all after that.

Ok I'm not talking to much about the PSP. Its a great system that is selling extremely well, even better than the other competiors that went against Nintendo, everyone has to amit that the PSP was a true challenger to Nintendo, and on the PS3 topic that you discuss wouldn't you consider that they are following Sega footsteps with that, that would make the existing PS3 owners pissed because they purchased the PS3 for its $600 price tag and then to find out Sony is making a PS4?

Around the Network
shams said:

Define "pull the plug". Sony would never just stop manufacturing/selling the devices. They are both selling strongly, and will improve over time.

The closest would be to accelerate the development of their next devices, and phase these out. But even that is unlikely - look at the PS2, etc.

You see we need more of you in these threads because people will never believe that quote you said in bold. And considering I know Sony wouldn't want to follow Sega footsteps that even makes me more excited at the fact that the PS3 is worth the purchase because Sony isn't going to give up, like Hus said why leave and quit, Sony isn't going to leave without a fight.

If they want to lose a major foothold in a rapidly growing market and make hundreds, if not thousands of people lose their jobs and make themselves an embarrassment, then by all means they should.

No. No they won't.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Bodhesatva said:
mitsuhide said:
I think they would only leave hardware if the losses on the hardware where pulling EVERY other part of the company down like SonyColumbia profits where down considerably due to PS3/4/5/6 costing that much to keep afloat they have to feed it with money from the rest of the company.
This has about a 1billion:1 chance in happening.

You do realize that the other parts of Sony are already heavily funding the PS3, correct? They've funneled several billion dollars away from their other divisions to support the PS3. This is already happening. The question really is: how deep in the hole are they willing to go, and how long are they willing to sustain it? I think the answers are, generally speaking, "very deep" and "quite a while," so I don't think there is much to worry about, but the general premise is already true: the gaming division has been hemorrhaging money for two years now, and there is no end in sight. 

Now Bod can I get sources on what you just said, I do believe that they are using their other divisons for money but can I get a source on this please!!

Around the Network
Xeo_842 said:
No. No they won't.

Ok is there a reason why they won't can you give a explanation on why in your opinion? Be more specific.

Takashii said:
Xeo_842 said:
No. No they won't.

Ok is there a reason why they won't can you give a explanation on why in your opinion? Be more specific.

The PSP is still doing well and they can still turn the PS3 around.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Takashii said:
HappySqurriel said:

The answer to this question is certainly dependant on how you define "Pull the Plug" ...

The PSP and Nintendo DS are rapidly approaching the standard end of life (5 years) and could potentially be announcing a follow up system as of E3 or TGS in 2008. Sony could simply plan to replace the PSP in 2010/2011 and hope for an improvement in marketshare (and let it die if it doesn't meet expectations).

If you assume the PS3 will be hitting $300 in 2009 it could end up being an expensive system (far more expensive than its competition or a Blu-Ray player) which has few games being released for it, sales could stagnate, begin to fall and Sony could be force to pull it before it dies. Basically, it would be better for the Playstation brand for Sony to release an upgraded PS3 in 2009/2010 as a PS4 then to let the PS3 fall to (essentially) 0 sales and sit there for 2 years; it would become a lame product among gamers, it would enrage retailers, and third parties would have doubts that Sony could produce a system that sold at all after that.

Ok I'm not talking to much about the PSP. Its a great system that is selling extremely well, even better than the other competiors that went against Nintendo, everyone has to amit that the PSP was a true challenger to Nintendo, and on the PS3 topic that you discuss wouldn't you consider that they are following Sega footsteps with that, that would make the existing PS3 owners pissed because they purchased the PS3 for its $600 price tag and then to find out Sony is making a PS4?

My thoughts on the PS3 are based off of the "worst case" for the PS3 ... Hypothetically speaking the PS3 could get caught in a cycle of poor hardware sales leading to poor third party support which cycles back into worse hardware sales and third party support; essentially the PS3 would suffer the fate of the Sega Saturn. The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replaced the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releasing it in 2009.

Basically, it would be better for Sony to have a console which people were pissed because it was too expensive and lasted for too short of a life (but had amazing graphics and great games) than as a system which ended up only having multi-platform crapware, started to lose retail space, developers bad mouthed it, and so on.

MontanaHatchet said:
If they want to lose a major foothold in a rapidly growing market and make hundreds, if not thousands of people lose their jobs and make themselves an embarrassment, then by all means they should.

I know and thats already been proven above Hus discuss that already, Sony wouldn't leave cause they know that all those fans and their name would be in shame and not good. So Sony knows what their doing its just the simple fact that know one is giving Sony the chance of doing what they do best if they need time give them time, instead of getting mad at them because they have no games, currently the ones who are against Sony are the ones without a PS3. I can say if you had a PS3 and you are mad at the fact sales are low and not PS2 numbers, but thats what it is everyone was expecting the PS3 to have numbers like the PS2 and look at the PS3 price tag compared to the PS2 price tag at launch. Now thats a huge difference. Now if the PS3 was at $400 competeing with the Xbox 360 and it had slow sales then I could understand but Sony design and pricing strategy is so wrong this generation.

HappySqurriel said:
Takashii said:
HappySqurriel said:

My thoughts on the PS3 are based off of the "worst case" for the PS3 ... Hypothetically speaking the PS3 could get caught in a cycle of poor hardware sales leading to poor third party support which cycles back into worse hardware sales and third party support; essentially the PS3 would suffer the fate of the Sega Saturn. The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replaced the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releasing it in 2009.

Basically, it would be better for Sony to have a console which people were pissed because it was too expensive and lasted for too short of a life (but had amazing graphics and great games) than as a system which ended up only having multi-platform crapware, started to lose retail space, developers bad mouthed it, and so on.

Ok your confusing me with the Sega situation you said "The Sega Saturn survived on fumes for 2 years and was not pulled, Sega would have been better off had they replace the Saturn with the Dreamcast in Late 2007 or Early 2008 than releaseing it in 2009". Did you mean Sony or Sega because I couldn't understand Sega releasing the Dreamcast in 2009 and the Saturn having a long life. So can you fix that or am I reading it wrong?