By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 had best lineup for holidays,Wii had worst = Wii sells 4 times more.

because metacritic isn't a good measurement of how good a systems games are.

/thread

Around the Network

Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 are my favourite games from this xmas, so id agree that the PS3 had the best lineup, however the Wii is cheaper, has a great game libary of its own and has the wiimote, hence im not suprised the Wii has outsold and continues to outsell the PS3

ph4nt said:

/thread

Because it is?

Metacritic measures the quality of each game, based on the average of 50 plus reviews per game.

Im sorry but only Nintendo fans bring out the "Metacritic means nothing" card out because the wii turley doesnt have very good games *atleast for this year* compared to the ps3 or xbox 360.

mM
Bodhesatva said:

One of the hallmark personality traits of young males is a lack of empathy, and that hallmark is always in full swing on internet forums.

I am endlessly frustrated by most people's inability to reach the simple conclusion: most people don't like the things that you like. It's that simple! I remember when I first stated on these forums that I really disliked Metal Gear Solid 4: how could I not see how awesome this game is? How was I not blown away by its ridiculous amounts of win?

I've explained many times, but the short answer is that I think it's sophomoric. Others might object to the game's incredibly nerdy premise -- a genetically engineered super spy fighting giant robots. And also the President, who is also a genetically engineered clone. In just the same way you might instantly dislike a game that stars cute puppies, others may dislike a game that revolves around super spies fighting giant robots.

Whatever the reason, people need to accept that the things you like are not liked by everyone, and the things you apparently hate (Carnival Games, Wii Fit, Wii Music, whatever) are enjoyed by other people. Your tastes are not better (lol babyz are no worse than lol super spy / bald space marine). Just accept that many people -- in fact, the majority -- do not like the things you like, and prefer other stuff. If you accept this basic fact, the mysteriously succesful Wii which seems to magically sell because it's sprinkled with fairy dust no longer requires bizarre explanations for its prosperity. The Wii sells because most people prefer the types of games the Wii offers (and yes, this includes Wii Fit and Wii Play as much as it does Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart or Guitar Hero). Just like that, this mystery is solved.

This makes sense! I like classical music along with millions of others and many people can't understand it. They ask me how come you listen to that. I've never like MGS but I can understand the appeal.

Moreover, the Wii releases games that appeal to the masses. In general, excluding Nintendo hadcore fans, people for whom videogames are not one of their biggest hobbies so they don't require a high quality product. They only need some simple games to have some fun from time to time. So there's no need for the Wii to have the best lineup in order to sell like hotcakes.

Play my LittleBigPlanet level: Mystic Runner. Thanks!

Around the Network
leo-j said:
ph4nt said:

/thread

Because it is?

Metacritic measures the quality of each game, based on the average of 50 plus reviews per game.

Im sorry but only Nintendo fans bring out the "Metacritic means nothing" card out because the wii turley doesnt have very good games *atleast for this year* compared to the ps3 or xbox 360.

Although there is some relationship between a game being reviewed well, with the number of highly rated games that do not sell well and the number of poorly rated games that sell unusually well, you can not say that review scores are a particularly good measure of how consumers see the quality of a game.

HappySqurriel said:
leo-j said:
ph4nt said:

/thread

Because it is?

Although there is some relationship between a game being reviewed well, with the number of highly rated games that do not sell well and the number of poorly rated games that sell unusually well, you can not say that review scores are a particularly good measure of how consumers see the quality of a game.

I'd speculate most consumers don't see the quality of the game before they buy it and a good number don't even see the quality after they buy it (gifts for children by parents).

To most of the American public, I assume Wii Sports is a better gaming library that whatever is on the PS3 or XBox 360.

Don't forget about Wii Play, Wii Fit and Carnival Games, either!

Man I really need to go buy Carnival Games.

price is the answer. a wii is much cheaper than a ps3.

deathgod33 said:
price is the answer. a wii is much cheaper than a ps3.

Then why did the Wii outsell the 360?

Price is a factor, but not nearly as important as you think.  Otherwise, the Gamecube would have won last generation.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)