By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GUNDAM ---120k sold on 1st day + 30k ps3

kirby007 said: The reign of the ps3 has finally begun, sales are very nice.
I just hope this was a joke Okay Gundam sold better than Super Robot but still it is not a big system seller...

Around the Network

MikeB said: @ mrstickball First they said VF5 was going to help the PS3 to do great numbers and improve hardware sales. Who are "they"? Actually I read many conflicting opinions on this from PS3 users, yet I agree VF5 in Japan performed below expectations, I would have thought the game would have sold at least over 100,000 units in Japan at this point in time. VF5 sold ~50k and helped move roughly 8k systems Currently over 70k units of VF5 have been sold.
They meaning all the chart junkies here and on NeoGaf. Most were stating that poor sales would be revived and keep on the uptick due to VF5. Most predictions were 80k+ for VF5, and atleast 10k units of HW, and those were on the safe side. The whole point is VF5 bombed in terms of....everything. Yes it's sold another 20k+ units since launch which is fine and dandy, but Sony needs to sell games AND systems to maintain some sort of hold on Japan. Compared to Blue Dragon, Mosou's attach ratio and hardware moving capabilities were about 70% to what BD did in software attach ratios, and only somewhere near 1/2 or less of its hardware moving ability. Still a decent sign for Sony, but in all reality, if they wanted to win Japan this year, they'd have to launch a Mosou atleast twice a month.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@ mrstickball

but Sony needs to sell games AND systems to maintain some sort of hold on Japan
I think Sony is also looking at other options to generate money with the PS3, such as Blu-Ray movies, downloadable content and additional HDTV sales. But I agree game sales for the PS3 seems to be the most important driving factor, yet all game sales cannot be tracked by VGcharts nor tracking companies. For instance the main fighting game competitor to VF5 on the PS3 is currently Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, we don't know how many Japanese PS3 owners bought this game.
The whole point is VF5 bombed in terms of....everything.
I think that's still a bit premature to say as there will also be North American, European and rest of the world sales data to take into account.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

As expected the PS3 could not overtake the Wii, but Wii sales are down. Still 45K is a good week for the PS3 in Japan and Gundam sold 175k for the week. Things are getting a little better. If this Gundam is any good maybe it sells better in America. I count a few good titles for PS3 now, FNR3, Resistance, Motorstorm, VF5, and maybe Gundam once we get it here in the US.

MikeB - I was reffering to Japan about VF5...I am sure worldwide it will do 500k+ easily. But again, Japan will be Sonys most important market - simply because it's the weakest market for them right now.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: Things are getting a little better. If this Gundam is any good maybe it sells better in America.
I doubt that. The problem; Why does it sell so well? Because it is Gundam. Gundam is a very big name in Japan, but while it has its fans in the US and Europe, you can't compare it to Japan where it nearly sells everything. It is not one title alone, it its more or less a tradition. It might sell a few games, but I would think, less than VF 5 and probably no consoles..

kars said: Stromprophet said: Things are getting a little better. If this Gundam is any good maybe it sells better in America. I doubt that. The problem; Why does it sell so well? Because it is Gundam. Gundam is a very big name in Japan, but while it has its fans in the US and Europe, you can't compare it to Japan where it nearly sells everything. It is not one title alone, it its more or less a tradition. It might sell a few games, but I would think, less than VF 5 and probably no consoles..
The Gundam that came with the PS3 at release sure didn't. It sold next to nothing even in Japan cause it was so terrible. But this new one is getting quite good reviews. Uh....it sold 175,000 last week, which is more than VF5 has sold so far in Japan... It is true to a certain extent that it is much more popular in Japan, but anyone who played DC Gundam here in America knows what a good game that was and that given the right circumstances a Gundam title can sell units here. Just like Armored Core or Mech Warrior.

Stromprophet said: kars said: Stromprophet said: It is true to a certain extent that it is much more popular in Japan, but anyone who played DC Gundam here in America knows what a good game that was and that given the right circumstances a Gundam title can sell units here. Just like Armored Core or Mech Warrior.
Excuse me, but Gundam is much more than a game in Japan. Especially this title. You are talking about "Gundam Wing", this series was such a success that it would not be easy to find people in Japan, who never heard of it. Add to it a decent game and you have the current situation in Japan. It's fan base in the US and Europe was much more dispersed. It was mainly a hit among female viewers. You can't really compare it with "Mech Warrios" which had not so much to do with Japan anymore. The original game was founded on Mechas from "Macross", but the whole universe of Mech Warrior was developped in the US. Gundam Mousou on the other hand plays in "Gundam Wing" and more or less expects that you know the series and it's characters. And I think this element will be missing among many US players.

kars said: Stromprophet said: kars said: Stromprophet said: It is true to a certain extent that it is much more popular in Japan, but anyone who played DC Gundam here in America knows what a good game that was and that given the right circumstances a Gundam title can sell units here. Just like Armored Core or Mech Warrior. Excuse me, but Gundam is much more than a game in Japan. Especially this title. You are talking about "Gundam Wing", this series was such a success that it would not be easy to find people in Japan, who never heard of it. Add to it a decent game and you have the current situation in Japan. It's fan base in the US and Europe was much more dispersed. It was mainly a hit among female viewers. You can't really compare it with "Mech Warrios" which had not so much to do with Japan anymore. The original game was founded on Mechas from "Macross", but the whole universe of Mech Warrior was developped in the US. Gundam Mousou on the other hand plays in "Gundam Wing" and more or less expects that you know the series and it's characters. And I think this element will be missing among many US players.
I related it to those titles because of gameplay...not because of where it came from. Would you argue the game is not about MECHS? Good gameplay is good gameplay, regardless of knowing characters or not. Would you say GoW couldn't be a hit cause no one knew the characters? It being a new game. I'm saying sales of Armored Core or Mech Warrior have a lot to do simply with the gameplay involved and the idea of piloting Mechs to fight Wars. People like to blow stuff up, people like the idea of being a giant and being able to walk over buildings or even fly over them.

Louie said: kirby007 said: The reign of the ps3 has finally begun, sales are very nice. I just hope this was a joke Okay Gundam sold better than Super Robot but still it is not a big system seller...
excuse me GUNDAM sold 25000 more ps3s despite having supply constraints. all 20k ps3 bundles were sold out. watch out for next week's chart. I am sure you would see atleast 30 -=35k ps3s sold .......................take my word bro. WASHIMUL was right indeed!!!