By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GUNDAM ---120k sold on 1st day + 30k ps3

Louie said: Just 110k DS sold? Oh, demand is getting lower... but pretty funny: Super Robot Tyson sold more copies than the game that should save the PS3... MikeB said: Install base of more than 15 million DSes vs less than 800k PS3s! I thought there were even less than 180k copies of Gundam Musou available, so 170k to me sounds like an excellent figure for this point in time. Personally I don't think the DS and PS3 are direct competitors though, IMO even smartphone and (touchscreen, etc) PDA games would be more direct competition.
I could be wrong but I suspect his comment is in relation to the posts we were seeing weeks ago stating "PS3 Dominance starts March 2nd with the release of Gundam Musou" Now 170,000 units in its opening week is a good opening for a game, and it is great for a system that only has 750,000 units "in the wild" but it falls (far) short in being the system seller that people were claiming it was.



Around the Network

First they said VF5 was going to help the PS3 to do great numbers and improve hardware sales. VF5 sold ~50k and helped move roughly 8k systems Then they said Gundam Mosou + bundles would be the real deal, after all it was bundled + a huge game. Gundam Mosou sells 180k, but only moves ~20k systems. Whats next again? Phil Harrison's keynote at GDC to ressurect the PS3 in Japan?



Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@ HappySqurriel

I could be wrong but I suspect his comment is in relation to the posts we were seeing weeks ago stating "PS3 Dominance starts March 2nd with the release of Gundam Musou"
Rome wasn't build in a day, I don't think the PS3 was designed to dominate at day one as it's more expensive than most traditional game consoles, the PS2 isn't discontinued and financially at this point this could even be problematic for Sony if that was actually already the case (unless this would immediately boost their HDTV sales significantly as well)! Yet, the PS3 is already doing much better than its closest competitor (in terms of pricing and specs) the XBox 360, selling twice the hardware install base despite a year headstart and more (second/third gen) games available. If Gundam Musou reached 170k sales this would also mean the game already outsold all the top selling XBox 360 games in Japan.



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ mrstickball

First they said VF5 was going to help the PS3 to do great numbers and improve hardware sales.
Who are "they"? Actually I read many conflicting opinions on this from PS3 users, yet I agree VF5 in Japan performed below expectations, I would have thought the game would have sold at least over 100,000 units in Japan at this point in time.
VF5 sold ~50k and helped move roughly 8k systems
Currently over 70k units of VF5 have been sold.



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said: Rome wasn't build in a day, I don't think the PS3 was designed to dominate at day one as it's more expensive than most traditional game consoles, the PS2 isn't discontinued and financially at this point this could even be problematic for Sony if that was actually already the case (unless this would immediately boost their HDTV sales significantly as well)! Yet, the PS3 is already doing much better than its closest competitor (in terms of pricing and specs) the XBox 360, selling twice the hardware install base despite a year headstart and more (second/third gen) games available. If Gundam Musou reached 170k sales this would also mean the game already outsold all the top selling XBox 360 games in Japan.
I think you missed my point ... I was saying his comment was more about how much the PS3 fanboys hyped the Gundam Musou. Now, as for the "Closest Competitor" ... Certainly the XBox 360 is a closer match to the strategy that Sony choose with the PS3 but the Wii is still a close competitor for both users and developers. Publishers and developers have limited resources to build games and can only focus on creating so much content at a given time; as long as the Wii's lead grows it will become (increasingly) difficult for Sony to aquire support from third-party developers.



Around the Network

Sony doesn't get going in the first yaer in terms of games. What Squrriel misunderstood is that. They sold PS2s quickly because everyone knew good games would come based off of the PS1. Now they know they won't come in the first year, so of course they haven't bought one yet. If Sony gets a remodel out in time for Christmas, they will tear it up. Granted, MS can drop the 360 premium to $300, but if there's a $400 PS3 in the US and a $350 PS3 in Japan there will be a war. A real one. This? It's a prelude. Sony was more worried about killing HDDVD than XBox360 for the first year, they'll probably worry about their console business in the second (like they did w/ the last two).



You do not have the right to never be offended.

http://www.vgcharts.org/forum/thread.php?id=629&start=-0 Gotta loveit.



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

HappySqurriel said: Louie said: Just 110k DS sold? Oh, demand is getting lower... but pretty funny: Super Robot Tyson sold more copies than the game that should save the PS3... MikeB said: Install base of more than 15 million DSes vs less than 800k PS3s! I thought there were even less than 180k copies of Gundam Musou available, so 170k to me sounds like an excellent figure for this point in time. Personally I don't think the DS and PS3 are direct competitors though, IMO even smartphone and (touchscreen, etc) PDA games would be more direct competition. I could be wrong but I suspect his comment is in relation to the posts we were seeing weeks ago stating "PS3 Dominance starts March 2nd with the release of Gundam Musou" Now 170,000 units in its opening week is a good opening for a game, and it is great for a system that only has 750,000 units "in the wild" but it falls (far) short in being the system seller that people were claiming it was.
Thanks - exactly what I wanted to say MikeB: Of course the PS3´s installed base is much lower than the DS Lite´s installed base but Sony expected Gundam to be a millionseller, too. BTW: the 360 was never expected to sell better than the PS3 - in fact, it was expected to sell as "good" as the old box. And of course the PS3 doesn´t have to take over the japanese market in one day - but when shell it start? Next year?



ChichiriMuyo said: Sony doesn't get going in the first yaer in terms of games. What Squrriel misunderstood is that. They sold PS2s quickly because everyone knew good games would come based off of the PS1. Now they know they won't come in the first year, so of course they haven't bought one yet. If Sony gets a remodel out in time for Christmas, they will tear it up. Granted, MS can drop the 360 premium to $300, but if there's a $400 PS3 in the US and a $350 PS3 in Japan there will be a war. A real one. This? It's a prelude. Sony was more worried about killing HDDVD than XBox360 for the first year, they'll probably worry about their console business in the second (like they did w/ the last two).
The PS2 (and Gameboy Advance) were two consoles that represent a perfect merger of the correct product, reasonable price and appropriate time ... The PS3 in many ways could be seen as having been released too early ... Sony fans believe that this means that sales will pick-up later; I believe this will lead to the PS3 selling poorly, losing support from third parties, and eventually lacking the game selection to attract customers later.



Media Create Sales: 1. Gundam Musou 170,725 2. Super Robot Taisen W 139,311 3. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd 137,851 4. Wii Sports 39,639 5. Professor Layton 33,957 6. Wii Play 31,702 7. Iron Left Brain: Mistake Museum 2 28,495 8. Dragon Quest Monsters 27,236 9. New Super Mario 24,545 10. More Brain Training 22,854 11. Animal Crossing Wild World 12. Picross DS 13. Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn 14. Mario Kart DS 15. Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On 16. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 17. Common Knowledge Training 18. Wario: Master of Disguise 19. Brain Age 20. Pokémon Diamond 21. SimCity DS 22. Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX 23. Wario Ware Smooth Moves 24. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 25. English Training 26. Death Note 27. Pokémon Pearl 28. Kanji Brain Test 2M 29. Heisei Board of Education DS 30. Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html