By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GUNDAM ---120k sold on 1st day + 30k ps3

I guess I'm not surprised that PS3 charts didn't increase with Gundam. More than 700k bought the console, but just a little bit more than 700k unities of games were sold before this week. Many of these Japanese people that bought PS3 were expecting for a 2nd (or maybe 1st) game, and Gundam was this one. So, the game wasn't intented to attract new buyers, but for the ones that already had a Play 3. Man, this was the same mistake of N64. Only 3 months after its release, his 4th game, Wave Race 64, was released, and it wasn't enough to really increase N64 sells. Even Mario Kart 64 wasn't enough to do that, and already in 97 Nintendo lost for Sony the 5th generation war. PS3 needs urgently to rise its charts, because the Christmas is still very far. Or this, or the chances of consolidate a good base for 2008 and its bunch of releases won't be enough.

It sounds good when you say "For the People", but what you really want is... a stronger army than the Knights, and the evil power to control the people.

(Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics)

Around the Network

Yea it doesn't look like this is gonna do much of anything for ps3 in the long run. Sony can enjoy it's 1 week of decent sales then watch them drop back to 20-25k again. Instead of being beat by wii 4-1, maybe this week it will only be 2-1. There is a big drought of games coming for the ps3 in Japan, and i think they're gonna get into a hole that's too big to get out of. I think the ps3 is doomed to become like the n64, sega saturn, and gamecube in Japan. It should fine a little more success in US and Europe though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Reports are starting to come in and the PS3 supposedly sold around 45k.

ranzchic said: Reports are starting to come in and the PS3 supposedly sold around 45k.
If that's the case, I'd say it's pretty good for a system that expensive with only one really good game (two if you count Virtua Fighter).

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yeah. I gotta say the PS3 is holding quite good agianst the Wii in japan. Espeically the fact it has *zero* j-games. I mean Gundam is one of the j-games. But I'm meaning SquareEnix, Capcom, Namco. They havent released any of their million sellers yet. And considering the number of PS3's in japan... ~800,000. The fact they sold around 120,000 in 1 day. I would say, if you compared that to the portions of MHP2 vs PSP. This is better. I think that once the games start coming to the PS3 the PS3 sales vs Wii sales will start getting closer.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

What are you talking about, Kwaad. Gundam Musou is a bona fide, true to the core and bones j-game. It's Gundam and Musou at the same time. 170k sell out proves it. I don't think it will sell that many in the PAL and NTSC US regions.

I read somewhere that the PS3 needs to sell half a million unit to make a profit. Seeing that the install base in Japan is around 750K, I don't think Gundam Musou can even break the 500K barrier. I wonder what's gonna happen to the third party support for Japan only games if even Gundam fails to hit that milestone.

Am a little surprised more units weren't pushed (assuming 45k for the week is true), but then it just shows that Gundam fans (this is the *2nd* Gundam PS3 game out already!) are the ones that already own the console. Also keep in mind that the first shipment of games looks like it has sold out (or close to), so if more units were available - more hardware would have been sold. Its a good, solid start for the title - now the PS3 just needs some backup support. A couple of decent J-RPG's wouldn't hurt ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Actually considering the age of the PS3. The PS3 is doing quite good so far. Especially considering everyone and their brother tend to say it's the worst console ever.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

45K PS3s? Ouch. They can't catch up to Wii if they can't outsell it for a single week... even the week of release of such a highly touted game... Though now that it has proven to not be enough, I suppose this game wasn't that important in the first place. Like always, it's the NEXT thing which is going to get Sony back in the game. Now this isn't exactly a flop. Not remotely. It will probably be a profitable game (that 500K sold to break even isn't a hard and fast rule). But if the early reports are right, it didn't make PS3 competitive in weekly sales vs. Wii, and this the biggest game for Japan for awhile... right?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.