By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 fall below 15% marketshare in Americas in 2009?

Absolute worst case scenario for Sony:

Let's assume the PS3 market bottoms out and does horribly - say 5m or so in sales.

Let's assume the 360 has its strongest year at 15m.

And the Wii a terrific year with 35m.

The final totals:

PS3: 25m
360: 40m
Wii: 80m

The PS3 still has 17% of the market share, and that's under what I consider to be unrealistic conditions.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
seece, so you do BELIEVE, that during 2 years since last "pricecut" in NA for PS3 there won`t any more???

1 year Crazzyman, and with the exchange rate the PS3 has effectively already had a pricecut, as far as Sony are concerned.

misterd said:

Let's assume the PS3 market bottoms out and does horribly - say 5m or so in sales.

The final totals:

The PS3 still has 17% of the market share, and that's under what I consider to be unrealistic conditions.

I guessed you missed the part were this thread was about Americas eh?

misterd said:

The final totals:

I think the OP was referring to N.A. only, but I do find it habitual for haters to use only a small slice of the pie to falsely project it to all for negative perception.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

If its dropped to 299, I garuntee it will go up to 20% at the least in NA.

mM
Around the Network
seece said:
misterd said:

The final totals:

Yes, I pointed this out to him.  But he's probably saying that in the reality of the big picture, there really isn't a point.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Let me refer to my own post, lol
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=54617&page=1

The market share of PS3 worldwide this year has been 22.1%, and way below that in the US, so a 15% of market share in the Americas is possible but imo, due to upcoming releases and possible price drops in the future it's unlikely.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

seece said:
CrazzyMan said:
seece, so you do BELIEVE, that during 2 years since last "pricecut" in NA for PS3 there won`t any more???

1 year Crazzyman, and with the exchange rate the PS3 has effectively already had a pricecut, as far as Sony are concerned.

IF you do BELIEVE, that in 2009 PS3 won`t have pricecut in NA, then it is 2 years. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
seece said:
CrazzyMan said:

IF you do BELIEVE, that in 2009 PS3 won`t have pricecut in NA, then it is 2 years. =)

Oh you mean at the end of 2009. You know its not complusary for a company to drop its products price every year right? Sont need to make a profit sometime you know.

seece said:
misterd said:

The final totals:

Yeah I did. Was alternating between posting and fixing breakfast.

Let's see - just under half of Wii sales have been in the US, so let's chalk up 37m for the Wii.

And 57% of 360 sales are American, so 20m.

And finally, about 38% of PS3 sales are in the US, so that's around 9.7m

That'd give the PS3 a 14.5% market share, if everything broke against it - PS3 losing sales 50%, 360 increasing sales 50%, and Wii increasing sales by more than 50%. Again, that scenario is highly unlikely, and even so the PS3 just slips under 15%. So still, the answer is no.