By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Capcom the best and smartest Japanese 3rd party?

Ummm as people have stated before the amount of copies sold worldwide are eclipsed by MGS4 so your whole thread= epic fail. I really dont see this as really any solid argument or facts? when what Capcom has chosen to go a different route and destroy the respect fans have for them? IE making DMC4 Multi and basically removing all of the horror elements from RE to make an action game

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
RayRay102 said:
Hmm,
Let see MGS4/dance Dance revolution/a couple of Castlevania on DS/Rock Revolution (sold 2 copies on Wii I beliveved on its launch week) vs. Multiplatform released of DMC4, MONSTER HUNTER, Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando, SF HD. I would say Capcom.

Now in 2009 with SF4, Bionic Commando, RE5, another Monster Hunter, Dead Rising 2?, and Dead Rising on Wii >>>>>>>Whatever Konami has

I don't think you know what your talking about. You claim that MGS4 lost money for not going multiplat but we have little knowledge as to why. And yet at the same time MGS4 is staying a Sony exclusive, Sony is also buying the rights to make a huge budget live action hollywood movie of the franchise. Hmmm, I wonder how much Sony paid them for the movie rights? Sony might not have straight up moneyhatted the game to be an exclusive but I bet Konami got a sizeable check due to it. Don't you think? Also with the sony based products in the game (as well as other products such as the apple ipod) I'm pretty sure that MGS4 brought a lot of income into the Konami house that your excluding.

And what was Capcom's biggest release this year moneywise? Devil May Cry 4 a game whose sales combined on both systems fail in comparison to MGS4's sales alone. And then what? Some PSN/XBL  titles? And one psp game with the sales about that as PES which retails as a full priced console game?

I'll agree with you in 2009, but I don't think there's much real comparison for 2008 as to the real victor.

PS3 Trophies

Sorry. Double post.

PS3 Trophies

I understand that the people saying that Konami is better are only basing their opinions on MGS4. However, what important titles did Konami release in 08 other than that?

Currently Playing:

Dead Space (360) Prince of Persia "Collecting all the Light Seeds" (360)

Gears of War 2 (360)

I really like Capcom, always did ever since i've played Punisher on Arcades, they know how to make good games. And they are definately doing well for themselves with their Multiplat strategy for both HD titles, which is brilliant for both company and gamers, they sell more and good games are available for more people. DMC, SF and RE as Multiplats are full of win.

They also support the Wii constantly with RE 4, RE: UC, Okami , Z&W. Two of them are ports (but are still great) and there are more good games coming from them MH III, possibly (or i hope) DR Wii.

If they make some sort of proper RE Wii game, i will like capcom even more.

Around the Network

Konami is responsible for Frogger 2, so fuck them. Capcom would never do such a thing to innocent gamers.

CAPCOM!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Edit: I would have thrown in an extra !, but they did just say they ruled out a new Breath of Fire, so I am a little miffed with them at the moment.

Street Fighter IV, Bionic Commando, and Resident Evil 5, Capcom delivering.

Square is the retarded japanese dev.

mM
RayRay102 said:

I always love Capcom not only because they make great games, but rather they seems to be the only Jap publisher these days that know what the heck they are doing.

They seems to delivered the goods at exactly the right time and generate enough hype and interest for their games to sell well.

1. When this generation started, they were the first Jap Publisher to test the water on a New American made system by an American Company (xbox 360) with the release of Dead Rising and Lost Planet. These games went on to became million sellers. While other Jap publisher like Konami still hasn't release anything original besides MGS4. Capcom were smart enough to know that in order to increase their profit, they need to cater to other systems and the world wide market outside of Japan by making original IPs and market them correctly.

Perfect example including releasing one of their big franchise (DMC) on 2 platforms. Both versions of DMC4 sold roughly the same and generate more revenue than just releasing on one platform *cough MGS4 Cough.

2. They spread out their games all year around instead of jamming all their games during the fall to compete against other big titles. Case being SF4 being release in Feb and RE5 in March.

3. Taking advantage of Live, PSN and make original games or update old classics. Mega Man 9/ Bionic Commando/SF HD. These are some of the top selling games online. Where are the Contra, Golden Axe, or a classic Final Fantasy remake on Live and PSN?

Resident Evil 5 and SF4 will be the 2 best selling games in the first half of 2009 while we get junk like a Castlevania Fighter on the Wii and a Metal Gear on a ipod from Konami.

What do you guys think, is Capcom the best Japanese publisher?

I like how you seemed to ignore the Wii entirely in this post. Cosidering they have had 2 million sellers on it compared 3 (I think) on the 360...

Not to mention Z&W, and the Move of MHTri to the Wii...

With the exception of RE5, it seems like Capcom is moving alot of resources over to the Wii...

on topic, yes I think right now they are the best Japanese Dev, BUT Square can retake the crown with FF13 and DQ9 and 10, if they are good...

Konami? There ok, kinda a one trick pony in book. They only have 1 major Series, and a few minors (DDR and Castlevania)

Capcon has, RE, MH, BoF and others.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

MontanaHatchet said:
Capcom may be smarter than Konami, but who do you think is making more money?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Konami makes most of its money from activision and ea with licensing fees on music peripherals.