By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Capcom the best and smartest Japanese 3rd party?

I always love Capcom not only because they make great games, but rather they seems to be the only Jap publisher these days that know what the heck they are doing.

They seems to delivered the goods at exactly the right time and generate enough hype and interest for their games to sell well.

1. When this generation started, they were the first Jap Publisher to test the water on a New American made system by an American Company (xbox 360) with the release of Dead Rising and Lost Planet. These games went on to became million sellers. While other Jap publisher like Konami still hasn't release anything original besides MGS4. Capcom were smart enough to know that in order to increase their profit, they need to cater to other systems and the world wide market outside of Japan by making original IPs and market them correctly.

Perfect example including releasing one of their big franchise (DMC) on 2 platforms. Both versions of DMC4 sold roughly the same and generate more revenue than just releasing on one platform *cough MGS4 Cough.

2. They spread out their games all year around instead of jamming all their games during the fall to compete against other big titles. Case being SF4 being release in Feb and RE5 in March.

3. Taking advantage of Live, PSN and make original games or update old classics. Mega Man 9/ Bionic Commando/SF HD. These are some of the top selling games online. Where are the Contra, Golden Axe, or a classic Final Fantasy remake on Live and PSN?

Resident Evil 5 and SF4 will be the 2 best selling games in the first half of 2009 while we get junk like a Castlevania Fighter on the Wii and a Metal Gear on a ipod from Konami.

What do you guys think, is Capcom the best Japanese publisher?

Around the Network

Capcom may be smarter than Konami, but who do you think is making more money?

Hmm,
Let see MGS4/dance Dance revolution/a couple of Castlevania on DS/Rock Revolution (sold 2 copies on Wii I beliveved on its launch week) vs. Multiplatform released of DMC4, MONSTER HUNTER, Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando, SF HD. I would say Capcom.

Now in 2009 with SF4, Bionic Commando, RE5, another Monster Hunter, Dead Rising 2?, and Dead Rising on Wii >>>>>>>Whatever Konami has

IMO - RE:5 is a huge sellout, even if it sells well, it shows that the devs have no artistic integrity. We should not be applauding these people.

RE:5 and SF4 will be far from the highest selling Japanese games in first half 09 - the top sellers will look something like

1 Wii Sports
2 Wii Sports Resort
3 Wii Fit
4 Mario Kart: Wii
5 Perhaps RE:5, although there may well be DS games that will outsell it

That said, Capcom is generally pretty good

Nope Sega. ^_^

@ w/ "who's making more money."

Sega ^_^

I remember an interview where their Pres for the US mentioned being the 4th or 6th largest publisher, it wasn't too long ago either.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

I would have to say Namco Bandai, they are releasing Tales title left and right across the build and they are releasing Tekken 6 on the 360 and PS3. They are also following in the footsteps of Capcom and so is Sega.

Most of the Japanese companies in Japan are following suit to the 360 and its amazing to watch them. The only company that is soley exclusive is Konami, quickly that will change as the market switches.

But again its hard to say but Capcom is dominate this generation but you can't leave out Namco Bandai and Sega.

yea they've made good business decisions, as a gamer i don't agree with all of them. I recently played SF4 at the arcade, beat it all the way through on my first try. It's really nothing special, just feels like SF2 with a couple bells and whistles, i mean there just isn't much more for them to do. I'd much rather have Marvel vs Capcom 2, or even Tatsunoko vs Capcom at least they would have better characters.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yea my friend purchases Tsunoku vs Capcom, the game is a little tricky he calls it a dodging setup or something like that. But the game is fun as heck.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

You do know that MGS4 has sold more than both versions of DMC4 combined, right?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Capcom is my favorite VG company ever... I can make objective opinions about MS, Sony, Nintendo, the console wars, and most software companies, but every opinion i give about Capcom (and specifically the Megaman franchise) is completely subjective, so what i'm gonna say next just skip it, because it comes from a Capcom die-hard fan:

-Yeah they're the smartest ones, not only in Japan, but worldwide...