By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Capcom the best and smartest Japanese 3rd party?

Weren't you the one that made a thread about which is the best Japanese 3rd party? And the result from the posts ended up as Capcom??

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Capcom may be smarter than Konami, but who do you think is making more money?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Konami makes most of its money from activision and ea with licensing fees on music peripherals.

Not to mention suing everybody who's ever even thought about making a music game.

of course they make the megaman games and for that i will always love them

I do believe it is the smartest, just because they are giving every console good support and been rewarded for that. 3 million sellers on 360, 2 on Wii, 2 games on PSP that have sold over 2000k. Even on the DS they have had success with games like Phoenix Wright, Megaman, etc. Also, they have a very bright future ahead with RE5 ( will be the biggest surprise this year in terms of sales, I`m expecting 5 million at least), Bionic Commando ( it is looking great and very innovative), Monster Hunter 3 and some other projects with potential like Spyborgs, Dark Void and SF4 ( It has the brand, but I'm not sure it has the same weight as it did a decade ago).

All of this of course is of course about the choices they made this gen. Konami has besides MGS the ProEvolution series, which turns the sales tide in their favor. But the rewards they are getting because of that series (which are not as high as they used to be because of the lower quality of the game) are just the result of the pedigree the series got on the PS2.

So in conclusion, Konami used to take better decisions, but during this gen, is clear that Capcom has bet on the right projects.

The only thing I would complain about capcom, is that Okami, here in Aus had like almsot no copies, as I have NEVER seen it on shelf for sale.

DAMN NINTENDO AND IT'S REGION LOCKS.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Ari_Gold said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Konami makes most of its money from activision and ea with licensing fees on music peripherals.

Not to mention suing everybody who's ever even thought about making a music game.

That's so true. MGS, Contra, Pro Evo are all not that important compared to the money they make out of music games: DDR, Rock Band, Guitar Hero and all those in Japanese arcades.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

RayRay102 said:

I always love Capcom not only because they make great games, but rather they seems to be the only Jap publisher these days that know what the heck they are doing.

I only got to your racial slurs before I stopped reading.

TheBigFatJ said:
RayRay102 said:

I always love Capcom not only because they make great games, but rather they seems to be the only Jap publisher these days that know what the heck they are doing.

I only got to your racial slurs before I stopped reading.

get a life and grow up, not everything is DAMN RACIAL. Jap is short for japanese (yes I know it can be used in a RACIAL WAY). Does everyone have to type it out in full because people can't get past all this racial and political correctness BS around these days?

MontanaHatchet said:

Capcom is a far smaller company then Konami and Konami and Capcom for that and other reasons(Konami`s fitness and health clubs as well as their real income from real estate etcetera) simply cant compete as a company with Konami.

But if you look at the strength of the videogame division alone Konami has been hurting while Capcom at the end of last generation went from near bankrupt to highly profiteable in this generation and you can do the math yourself.

Konami missed the boat on next gen AND on music games(they were the first with a guitar game yet they got completely fucked over by Harmonix) and their games in recent years have underperformed while Capcom went from strength to strength.

dib8rman said:
Nope Sega. ^_^

@ w/ "who's making more money."

Sega ^_^

I remember an interview where their Pres for the US mentioned being the 4th or 6th largest publisher, it wasn't too long ago either.

Since their merger with Sammy Sega has become the largest Japanese third party videogame publisher.