By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are people acting like the PS3 losing even more market share is A-OK?

It's not OK but profit is more important then market share right now for Sony. I agree with crazzyman though (I know :O), if the PS3 does not sell well at $300 then people just dont want it. If that is the case, just hope Sony go full out on making a profit with the console.

Around the Network
yushire said:
c0rd said:

I always thought the answer was pretty simple: the 360 helps keep the PS3 alive.

Just look at the sales of the biggest HD games this gen has produced: GTA IV, CoD4/WaW, Assassin's Creed, etc. The PS3 has a huge portion of these sales, and as long as that doesn't change, things should be fine. The PS3 userbase will probably be nearing 30mil by the end of next year, which is easily enough to justify porting HD games onto it.

You listed many failed consoles, but didn't mention the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. That system was stuck in second place, yet had a decent lifespan (could've been longer if Sega didn't screw it up), and the PS3 is on track to outsell it within the next 2 years.

is it better if those games are PS3 exclusives? For one thing, the 360 isnt that cheap either only now when they cut the price. And both games on the 360 and PS3 are 60 dollars each, and both these consoles are also hard to develop and programmed for when its first introduced. 360 was dual core not single base so I doubt SONY was happy with 360 sales. Especially that MS taking PS3 exclusives

in europe its cheaper than the psp, and actually just a few euros more expensive than the ps2, if that not cheap damn >_<

it took over 6 years to the ps2 to get there.

Doing a port between the PS3 and 360 is a piece of cake, if your engine is well written and designed for this purpose -- which, by the way, describes most major 3rd party engines.

It doesn't cost much more to do PS360 cross-plat games, than exclusives, past the engine's first iteration.

As long as the 360+PS3 hold onto their
((average per-game attach) * (combined console count)) / dev costs

being greater than the Wii's
(per-game attach * consolecount) / dev costs

...there will be PS360 crossplat games, and the Wii's 3rd party support will suffer for it. Given the crappy attach rate and lack of a distinct demographic target for the Wii, the PS360 will be just fine for a long while. The PS3 and 360 have a substantial cross-console similarity that no previous console generation has really had -- which will extend the lifespans of both consoles against the dominating Wii for a long time to come.

If the 360 was not doing so well this holiday, then PS3 fans (and 360 fans) would be much more upset, I think.

Dodece said:
This is actually a common response in every generation. Concede the loss, but find the silver lining. Obviously there is nothing wrong with looking on the bright side of things. There is a saying there is no use crying over spilled milk. Just as there is no reason to become twisted over your console getting the least support.

The important thing is that the PS3 has lasted long enough, and has sold enough that major third party developers have developed cross platform engines. That means as far as the large developers that are porting whores are concerned you will be getting their games.

The console will continue to lose small third party developer support to the other two consoles. That is a given, and it was honestly a given when the generation started, and the PS3s novel architecture ensured that development costs would be disproportionate to its user base. That said it does hurt the owners, because they are going to miss out on those unexpected gems.

That all said its not entirely bleak even if Sony discontinued production the console would probably receive real support for a couple more years. With a reasonable back catalog the console should at least meet the basic needs of the owners for the remainder of this generation. Having the weakest library does not equate to being a wasted expenditure unless your standard is the best or nothing at all. However I think if you bought the PS3 at any other point then launch then you probably knew well enough the amount of support you would be getting.

I will say that the best lineup line is crap. It was crap last year. It was crap this year. It will be crap next year. Sony has a propensity to announce games over a year or two years away from market, and so unless they set a date you should always treat it as being two years away at least. Hope for the best expect the worse. You should also expect better from the competition when it shows its tight lipped. It is like the simplest yet most effective trap. Posters fall into it time and again.

I wonder why MGS4 is getting most of the GOTY awards,why R2 is getting the most best FPS GOTY awards, why LBP is getting the best platformer/best new ip/most innovative GOTY awards, why Fallout 3 a ps3 multiplat is getting RPG of the year,

last year wasnt bad either, Halfe life 2, Portal, call of duty 4, Ratchet and clank Tools of destruction, Heavenly sword, Unreal tournament 3, Uncharted drakes fortune(BEST TPS OF 2007, BEST GRAPHICS OF 2007), Oblvion(GOTY 2006), etc..

PS3 has the best lineup out of all the consoles this year, you say "its preference" reason? Because You dont have the ps3, and cant stand that it truley is an amazing console.

mM

What do you want PS3 fans to do, go the entire generation sad because it's not the market leader? As long as the console has it's share of good games -- and it does -- I don't see the problem. Games are the most important thing, and the PS3 has arguably the highest quality games of this generation on it. The PS3's market share at this point is almost irrelivent. With 3rd parties taking a multi-platform approach this generation, a slight difference in market share isn't going to matter for 3rd parties.

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Not many.. but why does it matter? The ps3 has most of the 3rd part games released this gen anyway.

just to let you know, Im more of a SONY fanboy than you leo-j. I have a PSX and PS2 and didnt own any console for the last 2 generations. Me buying a non SONY brand only means theres something wrong. REALLY REALLY WRONG. There are many factors why the PS brand lead to its downfall. One important factor was the price, price of the console itself, the price of its games, the cost of its development, and the price of PS3 to manufacture. Im gonna buy the PS3 and eagerly waiting for E3 2006 and PS3 unveiling even with the horrible boomerang controller. But after the lackluster E3 showing and 599 us dollars which is a meme till today I lost interest. SONY done this to themselves, they dug their own grave I think SONY fans here just face the music. After this holiday season bomb we all should know that there'll be no year of the PS3. 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Jo21 said:in europe its cheaper than the psp, and actually just a few euros more expensive than the ps2, if that not cheap damn >_<

it took over 6 years to the ps2 to get there.

In some places the xbox 360 is cheaper than the PLAYSTATION 2 in europe.

mM
yushire said:
leo-j said:

Not many.. but why does it matter? The ps3 has most of the 3rd part games released this gen anyway.

just to let you know, Im more of a SONY fanboy than you leo-j. I have a PSX and PS2 and didnt own any console for the last 2 generations. Me buying a non SONY brand only means theres something wrong. REALLY REALLY WRONG. There are many factors why the PS brand lead to its downfall. One important factor was the price, price of the console itself, the price of its games, the cost of its development, and the price of PS3 to manufacture. Im gonna buy the PS3 and eagerly waiting for E3 2006 and PS3 unveiling even with the horrible boomerang controller. But after the lackluster E3 showing and 599 us dollars which is a meme till today I lost interest. SONY done this to themselves, they dug their own grave I think SONY fans here just face the music. After this holiday season bomb we all should know that there'll be no year of the PS3. 

Are you a gamer or a sales analyst?

Because it seems to me all you care is that its bombing, quantity=/= quality.

Also im quoting you on that last sentence

mM

AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN the only reason people give for the PS3 failing is PRICE. This makes someone such as myself extremely confused since the PS3 is compared to Gamecube and Xbox which were much cheaper products.

Hypothetical question:

If the PS3 and 360 were both £200, which one would most people go for?

The funny thing is that people will say "who cares that wont happen" simply showing again that PRICE is the issue. Once the price goes down the console will sell huge numbers, the console has more then enough games and support to say it has failed now let alone when price drops down.

PSP sold 40 million with a good game a year, why do people doubt the PS3 and the Playstation brand?

psrock said:
BengaBenga said:
Mwah, until the 360 isn't somewhere around 40 million units or more (I think more or less the userbase that warrants 3rd party exclusives) I'm sure 3rd parties will mostly make games for PS360, not exclusive for any of these.

PS3 owners ironically have to be very happy with the healthy 360 sales, since it stops Wii from taking even more marketshare over the combined HD share.

we don't worry about the wii at all, at all. It's in a different level yet i dont see it yet as a real competition. When I lose call of duty and big games that i care about to the wii, then I will worry.

"We" is a pretty strange word here, since I'm sure I've seen massive cries over the switch from Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest to Wii (and both are big games). YOU might not be interested in Japanese RPGs and the like, but a lot of people are and some have bought a PS3 with th epromise of these games, due to PS2's dominance in this.

That is the answer I was interested in without actually thinking. The number where 3rd parties think "hang on a minute, is it really worth us doing the effort for both?"

What do you think the PS3 would have to be at if the Xbox 360 was at 40mil for it to start showing in terms of games that should be multiplat - not being so?

Exclusive games have the benefit of more hype among the fanbase, so it's not a 1:1 relationship, but I think if the gap stays under 10 million there's no clear winner between the two and will therefore be seen as a single system for publishers. But a userbase of 40 million should be a healthy userbase to make exclusives more regularly, no matter what the other console has sold. But for the rest of this gen most games will be PS360 or Wii.