By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are people acting like the PS3 losing even more market share is A-OK?

Skeeuk said:
yushire said:
leo-j said:
yushire said:
leo-j said:

Not many.. but why does it matter? The ps3 has most of the 3rd part games released this gen anyway.

just to let you know, Im more of a SONY fanboy than you leo-j. I have a PSX and PS2 and didnt own any console for the last 2 generations. Me buying a non SONY brand only means theres something wrong. REALLY REALLY WRONG. There are many factors why the PS brand lead to its downfall. One important factor was the price, price of the console itself, the price of its games, the cost of its development, and the price of PS3 to manufacture. Im gonna buy the PS3 and eagerly waiting for E3 2006 and PS3 unveiling even with the horrible boomerang controller. But after the lackluster E3 showing and 599 us dollars which is a meme till today I lost interest. SONY done this to themselves, they dug their own grave I think SONY fans here just face the music. After this holiday season bomb we all should know that there'll be no year of the PS3. 

Are you a gamer or a sales analyst?

Because it seems to me all you care is that its bombing, quantity=/= quality.

Also im quoting you on that last sentence

Im more interested in Wii titles this coming 2009 than the PS3 since most of those titles are multiplats anyway, and yeah, Im making a sig about it too since 2 quotes in my sig is lame...

im more interested in ps3 titles in 2009 than wii titles, on wii theres only a couple and even them dont match up 2 ps3 2009 titles, even 360 titles for that matter.

i think you are mad to say wii titles are looking better than ps3 titles, even 360 2009 titles tower above wii offerings.

Interesting, Yushire is not allowed to prefare the Wii line up to the PS3, i guess your opinion = fact.

You need to grow up. plus there really was not any need to start insulting the guy by calling him a dimwit, that was just rude, i guess you definately have shown your maturity in this thread.

Ps i am looking forward to the Wii line up as well, so sue me

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

This thread is giving me a headache.

But no, it's not ok and I don't see the ps3 market share increasing anytime soon. Sonyboys should just accept 3rd place and stop thinking it's the end of their lives. IT's A DAMN MACHINE!

but hey on the bright side, Sony makes some excellent 1st part games and regardless of market share they will always be there.

This whole generation is a disappointment to me.

People love their wii, thats fine, I just don't like my wii. Motion control even WM+ 1:1 as they call it, is not how I want to play games. Pointing a shaky hand at the screen to shoot mobs is not precise enough for me, FPS is serious business. Fast massive menu navigation ala RPGs is also defunct with a pointing device.

X360 continues to RROD because of shoddy hardware, is still too pricey to get the same features of a PS3 (live, wifi, hard drive).

PS3 has been slow out the gate until 2008, lack of variety and depth in some genres (RPG's for me), and price point is too high for mass appeal and enthusiasm.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Losing market share is never OK. The PS3 is lucky it has the 360 to be compared with. However, the real benchmark for the PS3 is really the PS2 but the situation there is so bleak that people refuse to even look in that direction. Instead they turn towards any comparisons that put the PS3 is better light.

Sony took one of it's more profitable divisions and turned it into a mega loss leader. More imporantly they have lost market interest. The PS2 sales are dropping quickly yet the PS2 userbase has not migrated to the PS3 as many boldly had predicted often. The Wii is the "automatic buy" of this generation just as the PS1 and PS2 were before it. The PS3 will actually have to work for marketshare this generation. They won't be able to just sit back and laugh. The Wii has that spot.

ssj12 said:
bonkers555 said:
leo-j said:
@Dodace

Dude you do not own a ps3, you dont know if it has any variety or w.e in its gaming library because you dont give a $hit, you just decide to bash it because its a ps3.

The ps3 has the most variety ive ever seen in a console, especially with its psn games..

I own a PS3  and its the worst gaming purchase in my life.  $600 for a Blu-Ray player is the stupiest thing I ever did.  They have give me ZERO RPG game in the past 2+ years.  WTF?!

Folklore, Valkaria Cronicals, Suidoken re-release..... others.... What RPGs are you meaning SRPGs are JRPGs do dont give me crap about no JRPGs...

Are you kidding me?  When the hell did Folklore became an RPG game?  You name 2 to 3 RPG games for the PS3 in the past 3 years on the market.  You gotta admit that the 360 have a bigger and better RPG line-up then the PS3 right now.

Around the Network
magik10 said:
Losing market share is never OK. The PS3 is lucky it has the 360 to be compared with. However, the real benchmark for the PS3 is really the PS2 but the situation there is so bleak that people refuse to even look in that direction. Instead they turn towards any comparisons that put the PS3 is better light.

Sony took one of it's more profitable divisions and turned it into a mega loss leader. More imporantly they have lost market interest. The PS2 sales are dropping quickly yet the PS2 userbase has not migrated to the PS3 as many boldly had predicted often. The Wii is the "automatic buy" of this generation just as the PS1 and PS2 were before it. The PS3 will actually have to work for marketshare this generation. They won't be able to just sit back and laugh. The Wii has that spot.

It's funny you say to compare PS3 to PS2, because for most of the PS3's existence it has been tracking almost exactly like the PS2.  Go ahead and use the vgchartz tool to look at hardware from launch chart comparing PSX, PS2, and PS3.  You'll see that PS3 currently is inbetween PSX and PS2.  It's not exactly awesome, but you'll notice that while the wii when compared to PS2 breaks away easily, the X360 is still below PS3 in that trend.  I look forward to 2009 when we will see truly whether X360 can put itself between PS2 and PS3.

Again you can say the Wii has the spot previously taken by the PS2, I say your right and wrong.  The Wii is in a league all its  own, it trounces the PS2.  At least half of the Wii's userbase don't come from the PS2, they are brand new people who never would play a video game if it werent for motion control or that they can get software titles like Wii Fit (an exercise sim).  Look at some of the games that are selling miles above all others.  In the top 5 Wii software sales two are exercise sims, one is an extra controller (+meaningless game), and 2 mario games that parents would automatically buy for their kids.  Of the two mario games, mario kart is the only one that can even compare to the others in the top 5 in terms of sales.

It wasn't just that Sony made bad decisions, they made stupid mistakes that not only took most if not all they had gained with the PSX and PS2 but put them almost to the level of XBOX in terms of ill feeling, but that Nintendo went and created and then swallowed whole up a brand new market. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
magik10 said:

It's funny you say to compare PS3 to PS2, because for most of the PS3's existence it has been tracking almost exactly like the PS2. Go ahead and use the vgchartz tool to look at hardware from launch chart comparing PSX, PS2, and PS3. You'll see that PS3 currently is inbetween PSX and PS2. It's not exactly awesome, but you'll notice that while the wii when compared to PS2 breaks away easily, the X360 is still below PS3 in that trend. I look forward to 2009 when we will see truly whether X360 can put itself between PS2 and PS3.

Again you can say the Wii has the spot previously taken by the PS2, I say your right and wrong. The Wii is in a league all its own, it trounces the PS2. At least half of the Wii's userbase don't come from the PS2, they are brand new people who never would play a video game if it werent for motion control or that they can get software titles like Wii Fit (an exercise sim). Look at some of the games that are selling miles above all others. In the top 5 Wii software sales two are exercise sims, one is an extra controller (+meaningless game), and 2 mario games that parents would automatically buy for their kids. Of the two mario games, mario kart is the only one that can even compare to the others in the top 5 in terms of sales.

It wasn't just that Sony made bad decisions, they made stupid mistakes that not only took most if not all they had gained with the PSX and PS2 but put them almost to the level of XBOX in terms of ill feeling, but that Nintendo went and created and then swallowed whole up a brand new market.

Look at how closely the PS3 is really tracking the sales of the PS2

Japan (6 Million behind, and selling at 25% the rate of the PS2):

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS2&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

North America (7 Million behind, and selling at 50% the rate of the PS2):

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=PS2&reg3=America&weeks=156

Total Other (5 Million behind, and selling at 60% the rate of the PS2):

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=PS2&reg3=Total+Other&weeks=156

The myth that the PS3 is selling anywhere near the rate of the PS2 has been disproven many times by now

HappySqurriel said:
dharh said:
magik10 said:

It's funny you say to compare PS3 to PS2, because for most of the PS3's existence it has been tracking almost exactly like the PS2. Go ahead and use the vgchartz tool to look at hardware from launch chart comparing PSX, PS2, and PS3. You'll see that PS3 currently is inbetween PSX and PS2. It's not exactly awesome, but you'll notice that while the wii when compared to PS2 breaks away easily, the X360 is still below PS3 in that trend. I look forward to 2009 when we will see truly whether X360 can put itself between PS2 and PS3.

Again you can say the Wii has the spot previously taken by the PS2, I say your right and wrong. The Wii is in a league all its own, it trounces the PS2. At least half of the Wii's userbase don't come from the PS2, they are brand new people who never would play a video game if it werent for motion control or that they can get software titles like Wii Fit (an exercise sim). Look at some of the games that are selling miles above all others. In the top 5 Wii software sales two are exercise sims, one is an extra controller (+meaningless game), and 2 mario games that parents would automatically buy for their kids. Of the two mario games, mario kart is the only one that can even compare to the others in the top 5 in terms of sales.

Look at how closely the PS3 is really tracking the sales of the PS2

Japan (6 Million behind, and selling at 25% the rate of the PS2):

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS2&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

North America (7 Million behind, and selling at 50% the rate of the PS2):

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=PS2&reg3=America&weeks=156

Total Other (5 Million behind, and selling at 60% the rate of the PS2):

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=PS2&reg3=Total+Other&weeks=156

The myth that the PS3 is selling anywhere near the rate of the PS2 has been disproven many times by now

I'm less concerned with regional sales than I am with WW sales.  If we look at those same regional sales comparing X360, PS3, and PS2, we still see that only in america does X360 trump from launch sales.  The last year has been the real trouble for PS3 where it has really fallen behind PS2, but its again still ahead of the X360.  Next year will decide the true trends.

Thanks Happy Squirrel for doing the work for me :)

To lift their spirits.

Heavens to Murgatoids.