By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are people acting like the PS3 losing even more market share is A-OK?

OK Im out! Dont want to argue anymore. im making a sensible discussion here but since most of you are just bashing Im leaving this thread...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

ps3 is selling fine, even with high price.

PLAYSTATION®3

Kantor said:
What? The sales gap between the GameCube and Xbox, and PS2, was 100 million units. The gap between PSOne, and N64 and Saturn, was around 70 million units.

The gap between the PS3 and Xbox 360 is 7 million units.

That does not lead to lack of third party support. Unless you are referring to the Wii, which most third parties hate anyway.

The PS2 didn't launch to a 100 Million unit lead, sales for the Gamecube/XBox weren't awful out of the gate, and third party publishers didn't always avoid producing games for these platforms. The PS2 had somewhat stable high sales throughout the entire generation, and the other consoles had less reliable and declining sales; the growing userbase lead of the PS2 ensured that it would get the lion share of third party support.

Now, claiming that third party publishers hate the Wii demonstrates your personal bias more than anything else ...

Whether it was appropriate or not, most third party publishers took sales predictions from analysts (or created their own) and since their models were poor and couldn't handle a $600 system or a revolutionary change in people's desires they heavily favoured the HD consoles. After the generation began turning out differently than they expected they started changing direction, and since the release of the Wii there has been a steady increase in the quantity and quality of games released ... Although the Wii will (probably) never be remembered for having the greatest third party library, over the next 4 years of its life the Wii will (probably) have such a steady release of quality titles released that it will become useless to complain about it.

At the same time there are still risks for third party support for the PS3 and XBox 360 ... Most bigger PC games that are being released now require a system (roughly) as powerful as the HD consoles to play (on minimum detail settings, at a low resolution, with a low and unsteady framerate); in 2010 and beyond, as developers expect gamers to own PCs with Geforce 9 or better (to play on minimum detail settings, at a low resolution, with a low and unsteady framerate) there is nothing saying that they would continue to support the HD consoles.

The Game Cube saw horrible 3rd party support but i enjoyed Nintendo's first party games so does it matter that it had horrible market share or 3rd party support? As long as I enjoy the games that i do know are coming it should be A-OK. Though the GC was my secondary system I know plenty of people who had it as their primary and still think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The PS3 is the GC this gen. Big whoop as long as Sony continues to bring out the gems. Stop being fanboys and just enjoy the games.

nitekrawler1285 said:
The Game Cube saw horrible 3rd party support but i enjoyed Nintendo's first party games so does it matter that it had horrible market share or 3rd party support? As long as I enjoy the games that i do know are coming it should be A-OK. Though the GC was my secondary system I know plenty of people who had it as their primary and still think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The PS3 is the GC this gen. Big whoop as long as Sony continues to bring out the gems. Stop being fanboys and just enjoy the games.

This.  Gamers should get what suits their desires better.  If you think PS3 or 360 had a massively superior line-up for 2008 over the other, then you are probably a fanboy.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
otoniel said:
yes the ps3 is selling ok for it's price BUT
It's selling terrible for a ps brand

No

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=PS&reg3=All&weeks=156

Its selling well enough.. the ps2 was 299, the  ps3 is 399

Weak Leo J WEAK

That chart has been done to death, when you allign launches in each region you will see the truth.

Blah. PS3 is just fine. It will be getting a lot of 3rd part games, even if they are multiplat with 360.

leo-j said:
Because the ps3 is selling well for its price.

Well, not really. Last year it sold better and the price was higher in some regions. Overall sales of the PS3 is down this year compared to last year, while overall sales of the Wii and XBox 360 are up by 10-25%. So, no it's not selling well for it's price. It's actually selling worse this year, then last year. That's not a good thing. Obviously a price drop is a must, but Sony already said no price drop in 2008 and no price drop in 2009 until maybe Summer or Fall. So for the first 6 months of 2009 both the Wii and the XBox 360 will be selling fairly well because of the cheap price. Meanwhile the PS3 will struggle and probably have decent surge when popular titles get released (White Knight Chronicles, God of War 3, InFamous, GT5 & FF XIII).

'gaming till I'm gone'

c0rd said:

I always thought the answer was pretty simple: the 360 helps keep the PS3 alive.

Just look at the sales of the biggest HD games this gen has produced: GTA IV, CoD4/WaW, Assassin's Creed, etc. The PS3 has a huge portion of these sales, and as long as that doesn't change, things should be fine. The PS3 userbase will probably be nearing 30mil by the end of next year, which is easily enough to justify porting HD games onto it.

You listed many failed consoles, but didn't mention the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. That system was stuck in second place, yet had a decent lifespan (could've been longer if Sega didn't screw it up), and the PS3 is on track to outsell it within the next 2 years.

I don't see the PS3 hitting 30 million at the end of next year unless it gets a $100 price drop in the summer. Most likely it'll hit 28mil by the end of 2009. Because of the Xbox 360's price cut, it could easily sell about 10mil + in 2009. Pushing it's total to 37+ million by the end of 2009. If the Wii keeps up it's pace it'll be at 67 million by the end of next year. Sony and Microsoft will never catch them if that happens. If Microsoft beats the PS3 in another holiday, it will be tough for the PS3 to catch them. It's all about the games though. If Microsoft can acquire some more exclusive hits like Gears of War and FF XIII, their console will continue to sell like hotcakes.

'gaming till I'm gone'

yushire said:

OK Im out! Dont want to argue anymore. im making a sensible discussion here but since most of you are just bashing Im leaving this thread...

I appreciated your constructive discussion, thanks for your time.