By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 300 Becomes the Best Selling HD Movie Ever in Its First Week.

Warlord_ said:
I heard 300 was a bad HD movie, it was far to dark and really grainy for the extra costs, while the normal DVD copy performed just aswell in a upconverting DVD player. This was posted on the Sony forums.

Uhh, Yeah.

I also heard ferrari's suck.

I have both BluRay and DVD collectors edition. 300 is THE movie I care about this year. I'm just gonna say this.

DVD = GARBAGE

BluRay = OMFGWOW

I mean this seiously. That grain-y ness, is actually part of the movie. Kinda like the bronzing, also like the darkness.

I saw it at the movie theater 2 times. Both times, I felt it looked 'slightly' out of focus, and dark.

Watched it on BluRay. It looked perfectly crisp and clear, and not quite as dark.

The DVD version, was (at least seemed with a good up-converting DVD player. (Samsung, Sony, and my PS3)) Looked highly out of focus. There was next to no detail, on the closeups, I couldnt see a QUARTER of what I could on BluRay.

You picked the wrong movie to bash on HD. Spiderman3 HD over SD, wont be near as impressive as 300 HD over SD.

Dont say ****, unless you've seen from experience.

EDIT: I also want to point that I only paid 3$ more for my BluRay over my DVD version. So cost wasnt a big deal.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Dont say shit, unless you've seen from experience.

Does it have to end this way?

super_etecoon said:

Dont say ****, unless you've seen from experience.

Does it have to end this way?

Yeah. Bash it for lack of extra features, lack of HD extra features, or anything else and that's fine. But it's an absolute lie saying the SD version is superior.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

That's fine. The rest of your post was fair. But then something happens. It's almost like you can't think of a good conclusion so you say the first thing that comes to mind. Just leave it at the facts (or opinions) without the personal insults or attacks. Not trying to get into a fight. I just like to see threads go in a positive direction.

Kwaad said:

I saw it at the movie theater 2 times. Both times, I felt it looked 'slightly' out of focus, and dark.

Watched it on BluRay. It looked perfectly crisp and clear, and not quite as dark.

I have some advice for you.

Whenever you reach the stage where you look at a movie, and what stays on your mind is technical aspects, you have reached a very bad level, which will make you sad soon. You obviously are sad already, you can't appreciate any movie right now. I had the same situation years ago. You should stop watching movies for some time, so that you can enjoy it again later, and not lose it all on "out of focus" nonsense.

BTW, the out of focus is not a problem in the movies, that's in your brain. Your brain is unable to arrange the image like it should anymore. That's because you focused too much on technical details before.

Contrary to what you think, LCD TV have the most unnatural image of all TV. Some people like it, but it doesn't make it"how it should look". What you see in the movies is the closest you can have to reality (projection).

On topic, brace yourself for more announcements like this, as while market for HD movies expands, of course, you will always have "best selling HD movies" in the coming months. If the market doubles, of course they will sell more and more HD movies. 

Around the Network

I have a BluRay rip of 300 and as a HD movie it's pretty poor in fairness. 300 is a very grainy film to begin with in the way it was shot and on HD it quickly begins to look like more of an annoyance than anything. It's as if whoever took the source decided to go nuts with a 'Sharpen' postprocessing filter and let rip on the entire thing. It doesn't help that the film is supposed to use highly saturated colours on a very orange/red/brown colour scheme, so don't expect vivid colours either on your 10000:1 HDTV...

300 in HD - OK, nothing special...

HD-DVD selling 35% of the units first week is actually a really excellent result. Considering that the "BluRay" install base must be significantly higher than the HD-DVD install base.

Wonder if you'll discover that the HD-DVD camp ends up with a better "attach ratio" in the long term. Guess its always going to end like this for a dedicated player.

PS - 300 (the movie) rocks. I have some minor quibbles with it, but its a solid 9/10 - and one of the best movies of its genre ever made. Sin City also rocks (and its probably better ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Regardless of which is selling better, its still selling very well on both formats, and may actually be the breakthrough film, the way The Matrix was for DVD. The Matrix was a film you would want to watch many times to catch everything, showing off the ease of use for DVD over VHS. 300 is highly visual, showing off how more you can see in HD, especially since the film was likely shot in HD.

Also, the HD-DVD version has more features, since all HD-DVD players support those features. Although those should become standard on blu-ray soon.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The sales of HD DVD 300, Hot Fuzz, Bourne Identity and Shaun of the Dead have raised HD DVD percentage of  the market YDT from 33 to 34%. Not a bad result for HD DVD.

Hus said:
Good chance Spidy beats it.

It has the chance , itis still a pretty hyped movie :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!