By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 300 Becomes the Best Selling HD Movie Ever in Its First Week.

Curious. I wonder why some movie studios would throw away 33% of their profits (By only publishing Blu-Ray) or 66% of their profits (By only publishing HD-DVD). Doesn't it make sense to just publish to both media formats? They aren't so different... Its just disc-based media, they can probably produce them at the same factories, LOL.

Around the Network

Oh, also, Persians aren't a race. That would be no different from saying wanting to kill French people is racist.

"The Persians are an Iranic ethnic group who speak the Persian language and share a common culture and history."

ckmlb said:

To all the guys talking about the grainy look.

It's in both the HD DVD and BR versions and it was intentionally done. It's an effect in the movie.

The Movie theater version was also done with this effect, but it's much easier to notice up close on a screen in front of you and apparently people think it's something negative...

It's actually an artistic choice from the makers of the movie.

It's not the grainy look thats the complaint though, well for me it's the people who are saying that 300 is the dog's bollocks in HD when it blatantly isn't, and the visual style plays a huge part in it. While it's beautiful to look at, it doesn't lend itself well to HD. 

More significantly, does anyone have numbers on how many DVDs were sold first week? The percentage of the market captured by Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compared to DVD is more significant than which format sells better, to me anyway. From ckmlb's initial post, it sounds like roughly 250k combined sales for the HD formats, which is beginning to reach significant levels. But if the DVD sales were, say, 5 million first week, then this news really doesn't matter all that much.

Can anyone help me out here with the DVD sales for 300?

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
z64dan said:
Curious. I wonder why some movie studios would throw away 33% of their profits (By only publishing Blu-Ray) or 66% of their profits (By only publishing HD-DVD). Doesn't it make sense to just publish to both media formats? They aren't so different... Its just disc-based media, they can probably produce them at the same factories, LOL.

You can not produce them at the same factories, and companies do not like having to produce 2 versions and have them at every store with more chances of having copies that don't sell on one format or the other.   People will convert to HD faster if there is no more confusion.

windbane said:
z64dan said:

You can not produce them at the same factories, and companies do not like having to produce 2 versions and have them at every store with more chances of having copies that don't sell on one format or the other. People will convert to HD faster if there is no more confusion.

Did you see some recent surveys? People still are largely unaware of HD entirely. Yet among those who are aware, and can afford it, they are buying the films faster than they adopted DVD.

Basically, it's just wrong to assume HD will take off once one format goes away. The evidence shows the opposite.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

nathantay said:
Wow 167k out of 1.7m BR owners bought 300 while 83k out of 450k HD owners bought 300.

167k? WTF? Its over 6 million blu-ray player owners(the ps3 included) . Also I think it sold more than 167k more like 200k.

mM
ckmlb said:
I expect Spiderman and Pirates of the Carribean to beat it when they come out.

I believe Pirates 2 became the fastest selling DVD last year and has broken other records so 3 could push a lot of hd movies. Though I imagine there's more people buying S3 that will care more about the hd possibilities.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

Sullla said:
More significantly, does anyone have numbers on how many DVDs were sold first week? The percentage of the market captured by Blu-Ray and HD-DVD compared to DVD is more significant than which format sells better, to me anyway. From ckmlb's initial post, it sounds like roughly 250k combined sales for the HD formats, which is beginning to reach significant levels. But if the DVD sales were, say, 5 million first week, then this news really doesn't matter all that much.

Can anyone help me out here with the DVD sales for 300?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6179

Nothing concrete but it says the movie outsold Hot Fuzz more than 7:1 and mentions Hot Fuzz selling more than 1 million units. So around 7 million in DVD sales.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.