By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Review builds of Killzone 2 heading out now...

makingmusic476 said:

Sin from NeoGAF has gotten his and took pics (a couple of others posted pics as well):

Thats made of so much fucking win!!!! :P

Around the Network
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:
iam afraid its will end up like LBP and resistance 2

What happened with LBP?  95 on MC/GR and 1.3 million in sales in 8 weeks (6 in EU)?

That would be pretty damn successful, and more successful than even I think the game will be, particularly given its release timings (probably no more than 400k week one, and 1.3 million after a few months at best).

And it's a review copy.

yah but see whats happend to Resistance 2 sales the first resistance sell far better than it.

Hm:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Resistance%3A+Fall+of+Man+-+PS3®2=All&game2=Resistance+2+-+PS3®3=All&game3=&weeks=40

Resistance only sold ~3.4lion, and Resistance 2 will probably break a million before the year is out.  It will very likely break 3 million in the end, just like the first.

It may sell a bit less overall, but that's true for almost all sequels (except those appearing on a next gen platform, like MGS4 vs MGS3, or Halo 2...because MS has insane marketing).

then how much u expect Killzone 2 to sell ??

Not all that much at first, but I expect it's quality will lead to long legs.  Call of Duty 4 didn't have the greatest opening becuase people were turned off by Call of Duty 3, but it's quality let to GREAT legs because of very positive word of mouth.

I would not be surprised if Killzone 2 outsold the ps3 version of Call of Duty 4 when all is said and done.

NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:

What happened with LBP?  95 on MC/GR and 1.3 million in sales in 8 weeks (6 in EU)?

That would be pretty damn successful, and more successful than even I think the game will be, particularly given its release timings (probably no more than 400k week one, and 1.3 million after a few months at best).

And it's a review copy.

yah but see whats happend to Resistance 2 sales the first resistance sell far better than it.

Hm:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Resistance%3A+Fall+of+Man+-+PS3®2=All&game2=Resistance+2+-+PS3®3=All&game3=&weeks=40

Resistance only sold ~3.4lion, and Resistance 2 will probably break a million before the year is out.  It will very likely break 3 million in the end, just like the first.

It may sell a bit less overall, but that's true for almost all sequels (except those appearing on a next gen platform, like MGS4 vs MGS3, or Halo 2...because MS has insane marketing).

then how much u expect Killzone 2 to sell ?? also know that Resistance 2 sales is poor for a flagship title.

While it is not as good as some expected, it is not poor. It would be poor if it was on the 360 because of the much higher installed base (especially in America, which is Shooter crazy) and because of the way 360 games sell compared to PS3 (360 games have big openings with some wat weak legs while PS3 has weak opening with strong legs). Theres no doubt in my mind that R2 will reach ATLEAST 2 mil EASY, as for Killzone 2, it more than likely will do 2 - 3 mil LTD (3 mil depending on 1st week WW).

OT: WOW, I want that! *sigh*

CGI-Quality said:
@ NNN

And Resistance Fall of Man was bundled heavily for a while as well, trolling much? LBP didn't sell bad either. Why are you discrediting these games?

iam trolling ??! man LBP didnt sell as we excpect thats all and for a strong PS3 title it should sell better.

NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:

And it's a review copy.

Hm:

then how much u expect Killzone 2 to sell ?? also know that Resistance 2 sales is poor for a flag title.

You edited that in.  The sales are not poor for a "flagship" title that is merely a AA game, and that is a sequel to a AA game that only sold 3.4 million.

I fully expect Killzone 2 to be AAA, and to be marketed much better than Resistance 2.  It will be *the* shooter to get for the ps3 next year, only possibly topped by the next Call of Duty.  And even then I'm not sure if Infinity Ward can top the game, unless they change things a lot from Call of Duty 4.

Around the Network
SnakeEyez said:
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:

And it's a review copy.

Hm:

then how much u expect Killzone 2 to sell ?? also know that Resistance 2 sales is poor for a flagship title.

While it is not as good as some expected, it is not poor. It would be poor if it was on the 360 because of the much higher installed base (especially in America, which is Shooter crazy) and because of the way 360 games sell compared to PS3 (360 games have big openings with some wat weak legs while PS3 has weak opening with strong legs). Theres no doubt in my mind that R2 will reach ATLEAST 2 mil EASY, as for Killzone 2, it more than likely will do 2 - 3 mil LTD (3 mil depending on 1st week WW).

OT: WOW, I want that! *sigh*

hmm i think we should wait and see thats all i can say for now .... btw i will get the game at first day cuz the game looks fkn awesome :)

@NNN

limited edition or regular edition?

NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:
makingmusic476 said:
NNN2004 said:

And it's a review copy.

Hm:

then how much u expect Killzone 2 to sell ?? also know that Resistance 2 sales is poor for a flag title.

*facepalm*

Resistance 2 is not a flagship title! It has sold a lot more than the original Resistance, and continues to do so. It will definitely cross 3 million sold and has a very good chance of crossing 4 million! It's foolish to compare it to Call of Duty or Halo, because Call of Duty: World at War's success completely piggybacked off its (incredible) predecessor, which on PS3 only sold 445k opening week and because Halo was marketed like no game has ever been marketed before!

Resistance 2 could certainly have sold better, if it wasn't releasing in the same week as Gears of War 2, the same month as Call of Duty: World at War, and the same season as a lot of games that, frankly, outclassed it. Sure, it's very good, but it's not Gears of War good. It's not Fable good. These are the things you need to be to survive a holiday season!

Killzone 2 is releasing in late February. No great games for weeks around it, no great shooters for months around it, and long enough after Christmas that people are willing to begin spending again. The only real "competition", if you can call it that, is FEAR 2 which will probably suck on PS3. Also, it's releasing a good three weeks earlier than KZ2.

Sony, frankly, doesn't give a damn about Resistance 2. They know it's not the flagship shooter they need, they know Killzone 2 will be superior in every way, they just don't care. Sure, its success is nice, but they hardly advertised it. Killzone 2, they have paid for four years of development. They have paid perhaps $20 million to fund development. Expect massive advertising campaigns.

You can't compare it to LBP, because it's not the PS3 owner's cup of tea, and it cost significantly less to make.

You can't compare it to CoD4, because the userbase was smaller then, and it was made by a third party company which released it on three consoles and knew it would sell incredibly well. In addition, Activision has nowhere near the funds of a first party developer.

Which is why I predict:

1 million opening week

3 million within a year

5 million LT.

Sorry to rant a little, but I've said this many, many times.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

It looks promising, will it be the 1st ever ps3 exclusive to reach 90 or above on metacritic?

I'm still confident i'll win my bet with kantor.

makingmusic476 said:

You edited that in.  The sales are not poor for a "flagship" title that is merely a AA game, and that is a sequel to a AA game that only sold 3.4 million.

I fully expect Killzone 2 to be AAA, and to be marketed much better than Resistance 2.  It will be *the* shooter to get for the ps3 next year, only possibly topped by the next Call of Duty.  And even then I'm not sure if Infinity Ward can top the game, unless they change things a lot from Call of Duty 4.

It's not a AA game, I say it is AAA, but like I said, it was never going to be a flagship title. The original was decidedly mediocre, and they improved the formula a lot (while making a few mistakes along the way, like two weapons at a time and no vehicles).

Sony knew Killzone 2 was coming three months after it. They clearly cared about it more, because they delayed it out of the shooter rush, which they didn't do with R2 because it would be more trouble than it would be worth.

And I am pretty sure Killzone 2 will be better than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. IW have a lot of improvements to make in a short amount of time. Killzone 2 will not only sell better LT than CoD4 (PS3 version only, of course), it will have a better opening week, and higher reviews.

I know it's a bold prediction. I like to make those, because it feels good when I'm right, and because I deny ever making it when I'm wrong

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective