By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will next weeks sales be even bigger than this weeks?

I say no to all three of those.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
its doubtful, but i notice you leave the ps3 out of any of your big predictions

I don't do predictions in 1/4 Million increments. Its all or nothing baby!

Tease.

Damn, I wish we could freeze this weeks sales figures as end of year because my January predictions would be so awesome.

Prediction (Jan 15th), total and yearly sales 2008:

Wii  - 39 million  (+20 mill)
X36026.5 million (+10.5 mill)
PS3  - 18.5 million  (+9.5 mill)

Actual sales as of now:

Wii

43.6 million 
X36026.5 million
PS3  - 18.8 million 

Next week Ps3 - 400k.

Check out what the sales looked like in 2003 (when the dates are the same, ie Christmas day on a Thursday)
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=XB&reg3=All&start=37899&end=37990

So they should fall next week, but not significantly, so if Wii ends this week with 1850-1900k, it will likely have 1600-1700k next week.

Around the Network

Not likely but look at it this way, post christmas sales (like boxing day) should do some serious damage. More likely is the early 09 holiday snowball effect that, if supply is available, will give Wii about 700k (or more) PW for a long time to come. When was it till this year? April or May?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Dude the hardware sales for last week (Dec. 20th) are INSANE... 1 million Wiis in the Americas alone?!? How the hell is that possible?!?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Wii is unaffected by holidays, only by supply

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Max King of the Wild said:
Next week Ps3 - 400k.

If that's the case, then next week Xbox 360 - 800k.

Also, someone mentioned shopping is closed on the 26th and 27th?  Not in the US... or at least not major vendors.  The 26th Day after Christmas sale is always a big day, plus all the returns!  The only day that is completely closed is Christmas day... but still many places are open like movie theaters and restaurants.

You guys predicting ps3 sales are forgetting the level 5 exclusive RPG coming out in japan for ps3..

mM