By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA up, 1 million freaking Wiis!!!!!!!!!

I would like to point out a few things...

First - faster selling consoles have a harder time keeping their attach rates up, because people usually buy one game with the machine that they play for a while. Casuals are worse, because they play fewer games, or take longer to finish a game, and thus take longer to buy another game. The Wii probably makes this even worse because it comes bundled with a game, and then adds another game (WiiPlay) for cheap (and I was talking with some people today at work, and one of them loves the cow racing on WiiPlay... lol). Thus, the fact that the Wii can still maintain an decent attach rate shows that it can sell software... which moves to the second point...

People buy the Wii for games... because the Wii doesn't do anything but games. Yes, you can check the weather, get some emails, vote on some unimportant questions... but no one would pay $250 to do any of those, since most have a computer that does it 100x better anyway.

The PS3 and 360 are both marketed as more than just a gaming device. We all know Sony wanted the blu-ray to win, and Microsoft has wanted to invade the living room for years. Their consoles were for that - gaming was just a means to an end. The Wii is not only simply about games, that's all it really is meant for, with a few added additions (none of which are marketed), while Nintendo really is the only company that cares about the gaming industry, since they rely on it for >90% of their sales.

Sony and Microsoft would drop the market if they didn't see any reason for it. Hint - the living market (streaming videos, digital distribution, etc) and blu-ray penetration are worth way more to Microsoft and Sony than the gaming division (you can tell by their willingness to lose money, no company would do that from the goodness of their hearts.

Think about that the next time you (or anyone) say that "Nintendo is destroying the industry."

Also, I'm not sure if the week after Christmas will show increased sales for the consoles, can't check last years because my internet is too darn slow. I think the PS3 will be close, but won't reach 20 million until the first full week of 2009.

Back on topic - Will the DS ever stop selling?

Around the Network

gol i hate any argument or talking of attach rates. It is so dumb.

Heck the gamecube probaly had amazing attach rates going for some of its games becuase guess what "there weren't that many systems out there"

If the PS2 has some 120 or whatever systems and sells 10 million in one game, the attach rate is 1:12. Wow that is shitty eh. and now take xbox and a 10 million game and attach rate is 1:3. Guess the xbox is the best huh, all developers rush to that system.

Also the faster a system sells the worse an attach rate. Look at even yourself. how many games did you have for your system when you first bought it, and now 1-2 years later. How many games do you have. I had like 3 at the start, and now have like 12. Give it time. Now ever new Wii owner is buying 12 games right away.

leo-j said:
Fernando said:
@jake_the_fake1

The same could be say about the 360 and PS3.

Why some people chose the PS3 as their HD console when the 360 has more aclaimed games compared to the PS3, better online play compared to PSN, better services and features, a larger gaming community and equally graphical quality at a lower price?

The ps3 has a blu-ray player

The ps3 had a superior library of games this year

I dont even know why 360 is called an "HD" console if it doesnt even play any HD discs.

ONLINE play on psn is superior due to dedicated servers

Better services? And features? Like???

Both have 14 million accounts

THE PS3's exclusives have amazing visuals, that I have yet seen any 360 game surpass.

I bet you can recite these talking points in your sleep.

RayRay102 said:
WOW I feel good and bad at the same time seeing those Wii numbers. It is good because Nintendo is always to me about gaming and innovation. They made gaming popular with the NES and SNES.

It is bad because they are destroying hardcore gaming little by little. I do feel like this is a recovery period with the WII for Nintendo. Increase their popularity and fanbase and by the time the WII HD is out, we can expect some more hardcore games added to the mixed with graphics matching those of the next gen from Microsoft and Sony.

Oh speaking of Sony, they did it to themself. Because they were so concentrated in winning the HD movie format war, and basicly wanted to control the living room with their overpriced PS3. They think because of past success that they can be the ipod of the gaming world (ie.releasing expensive a$$ players and will sell out because of name brand). Hope they learn their lesson for next generation, if they are still around in the gaming business.

I wouldn't say nintendo is destroying hardcore gaming.  I would say hardcore gamers and reviewers are destroying hardcore games.

The reviewers because of their high ass standareds for games and being picky on things and then their score.  Does their score hurt the so called casual games, hell no.  Because those poeple don't look at the reviews but buy a game on a "fun looking commercial" or "fun looking game cover and back"  While the hardcore players take reviews seriously and if bad at best will just RENT the game.  And the hardcore gamers keep demanding more and more out of each game in visuals, ai, physics ect that all continue to rack up the developement costs.  And then the company doesn't make its money back through sales and end of that company.

If it weren't for the companies casual titles selling and making them profit they would be gonners long time ago.  Heck it was the same with the PS2 even.  There were a shit ton of casual games making companies tons of money.  The hardcore game just didn't cost as much back then on the PS2 to make so you saw more and quicker, plus if bombed it didn't hurt the company as bad.

So Don't Blame Nintendo, BLAME YOURSELF

leo-j said:
nojustno said:
Viper1 said:
leo-j said:
You mean this week viper

There are two weeks left of sales data for 2008 viper

Well technicly imo it can hit 20M, the week ending JAN 3 or w.e

Leo, look at the main page again.  PS3 is at 18.78 million with Japan numbers left for the week of the 20th.   Sales numbers for the week of the 27th are all that's left to be reported in 2008.  That means 1 more week plus Japan this current week.   That will not make 1.2 million in sales.

don't bother man, it's obvious he's some kind of hardcore Sony troll

how am I troll?

Im posting 100 percent facts and have been in this entire thread

Dude, this is SO going to boomerang and bite you in the butt.

Around the Network

A friend of mine (Sony fanboy) has always been talking **** about Nintendo (and PC games). It all started back in 1996. He actually trashed his big brother's N64! lol A few years later he laughed at the GameCube. He said that Nintendo would eventually go out of business. Edit: Wait a sec.. Could he be trolling me (?!)
Nevertheless This Christmas I'll be printing out the Wii and PS3 salesnumbers (wrapping paper)

Merry Christmas :D

Stever89 said:
I would like to point out a few things...

First - faster selling consoles have a harder time keeping their attach rates up, because people usually buy one game with the machine that they play for a while. Casuals are worse, because they play fewer games, or take longer to finish a game, and thus take longer to buy another game. The Wii probably makes this even worse because it comes bundled with a game, and then adds another game (WiiPlay) for cheap (and I was talking with some people today at work, and one of them loves the cow racing on WiiPlay... lol). Thus, the fact that the Wii can still maintain an decent attach rate shows that it can sell software... which moves to the second point...

People buy the Wii for games... because the Wii doesn't do anything but games. Yes, you can check the weather, get some emails, vote on some unimportant questions... but no one would pay $250 to do any of those, since most have a computer that does it 100x better anyway.

The PS3 and 360 are both marketed as more than just a gaming device. We all know Sony wanted the blu-ray to win, and Microsoft has wanted to invade the living room for years. Their consoles were for that - gaming was just a means to an end. The Wii is not only simply about games, that's all it really is meant for, with a few added additions (none of which are marketed), while Nintendo really is the only company that cares about the gaming industry, since they rely on it for >90% of their sales.

Sony and Microsoft would drop the market if they didn't see any reason for it. Hint - the living market (streaming videos, digital distribution, etc) and blu-ray penetration are worth way more to Microsoft and Sony than the gaming division (you can tell by their willingness to lose money, no company would do that from the goodness of their hearts.

Think about that the next time you (or anyone) say that "Nintendo is destroying the industry."

Also, I'm not sure if the week after Christmas will show increased sales for the consoles, can't check last years because my internet is too darn slow. I think the PS3 will be close, but won't reach 20 million until the first full week of 2009.

Back on topic - Will the DS ever stop selling?

Awesome, well-thought out post. I totally agree. Talked to a couple Wii owners and they said the same exact thing. Most play WiiSports, WiiPlay and WiiFit. That's it. They aren't interested in buying more games ATM. That is why the argument '3rd parties should make the Wii the lead platform' is insane. I have been saying this - and just want a simple answer. What's the demographic breakdown on Wii owners? It's gotten much more press than the rest of the consoles, offers a new - for most folks - way to control a game - and isn't hard to learn. It's a cool device that plays games in a unique way.

Shoot, I was showing off the Wii on Sunday to my son's friend's mom and dad. They were like 'We've heard about it and think it's awesome.'

It's an argument for another day, I guess.

Zomb1337 said:
I dont see why Wii is so popular.....I played it and the control is garbage and very small, the sensor barely registers accurate movements, and the games on Wii (besides Mario, Zelda & SSBB), generally are crap (ex: Wii Sports, Play, Fit, Music = shovelware). The 360 is doing well @ 900,000+ units sold WW this week.

my sister loves chocalate ice cream and I think it tastes like crap. However, there are a lot of other people like chocalate ice cream. I don't go around and tell people they have bad taste cause they like chocalate ice cream and I don't. They can have their preferences and I would have mine.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

In the long run I think the Wii's success will be good for "hardcore gaming" (whatever that is). The Wii is bringing lots of new gamers to the industry, some of which will turn "hardcore". Those gamers will help support the types of games "the hardcore" love.

madskillz said:
leo-j said:
nojustno said:
Viper1 said:
leo-j said:
You mean this week viper

There are two weeks left of sales data for 2008 viper

Well technicly imo it can hit 20M, the week ending JAN 3 or w.e

Leo, look at the main page again. PS3 is at 18.78 million with Japan numbers left for the week of the 20th. Sales numbers for the week of the 27th are all that's left to be reported in 2008. That means 1 more week plus Japan this current week. That will not make 1.2 million in sales.

don't bother man, it's obvious he's some kind of hardcore Sony troll

how am I troll?

Im posting 100 percent facts and have been in this entire thread

Dude, this is SO going to boomerang and bite you in the butt.

Kids, go play outside in the traffic

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.