By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 7th Generation Fanboy Treaty

The time has come for console fanboy understanding and compromise.  As an owner of all systems, I Ender, intend broker an epic multilateral console fanboy treaty.  I understand this won’t be easy, and it will require sacrifice on all sides, however the time for peace has come.  Without further a due, the following is the outline of the 7th Generation Fanboy Treaty:

Wii Agreements

Article 1.1 -- Your sales supremacy will be acknowledged.  At no time will other console owners refer to the Wii’s success as an anomaly, fad or gimmick.  Additionally, the Wii hardware will be credited with innovative design, which captured the imagination of the general public.   We will also agree that the Wii’s ability to bring gaming to a wider audience is a good thing.

Article 1.2 --  We agree Nintendo has the best first party development house.  What makes them so special is they can please gamers of ALL experience levels (including “hardcore”) .  I know this will be a particularly tough compromise for some fanboys however please keep reading, remember, we must find common ground.

Article 1.3 –- We appreciate Nintendo offering their console for $250 at launch.  We hope that other console makers take note.

Article 1.4 -- The Wii’s online service is awful

Article 1.5 -- The Wii’s 08 lineup was disappointing.

Article 1.6 -- The Wii’s 3rd party title offerings are the worst of this generation’s consoles.

Article 1.7 –- The Wii’s lack of dvd playback is disappointing. 

360 Agreements

Article 2.1
-- We will agree the 360 has the deepest gaming catalog of any console.  No matter what your gaming tastes are, the 360 will continues to deliver quality content with its solid exclusive line-up and superior 3rd party support.  Because of this, going forward the 360 will not be referred to as a “shooterbox”.

Article 2.2 --  Sales wise, the 360 has won the HD console war.  I understand this is a tough sticking point, but the data suggest this is true.  If events radically change we can revisit this point, however going forward there will be no more mention of an HD sales race.  It’s over.

Article 2.3 -- Judging by games currently released, there is little evidence suggest that the 360 is a graphically superior or inferior console. 

Article 2.4 -- XBOX Live provides the best online gaming experience.   It’s easy to use and feature rich. 

Article 2.5 -- Games built for the 360 and PC only will be referred to as a “console exclusive”.  

Article 2.6 -- Microsoft nickel and dimes you to death, which really drives up the overall costs of the system.  Paying for things like online play and wireless internet is completely annoying. 

Article 2.7
-- The 360 is a noisy and unreliable piece of junk.  Additionally, it’s completely reasonable not to trust the new jasper build. That being said, we must acknowledge Microsoft did the right thing by extending their warrantee to 3 years.

Article 2.8 -- The 360’s DVD playback is serviceable, but not good.

PS3 Agreements

Article 3.1 -- Unlike it’s awful previous years (2006, 2007); in 2008 the PS3 offered the best combination of exclusives and 3rd party titles.  Additionally, we will acknowledge 2009 looks to be another strong year for PS3 exclusives.  On the other hand, due to the PS3’s disappointing console sales and development difficulties, we acknowledge there is a good chance we’ll see a drop-off in 3rd party support with small to mid-tier releases.

Article 3.2 -- The PS3’s dvd and blu-ray playback is breathtakingly beautiful. 

Article 3.2 -- The PS3’s $399 price tag, is a horrible blunder.  For most families, asking to shell out this kind of money with NO packaged games is unacceptable.  On the other hand, we acknowledge if you are interested in blu-ray, wireless internet, hardware reliability and free online play, the PS3 offers a significant value over the other two consoles.

Article 3.3 -- Sony offers the best free online play.

Article 3.4 -- Just because Home is in beta doesn’t mean it can’t be criticized.  And let’s be frank, after years of development there’s embarrassingly a lot to criticize. 

Article 3.5 -- We no longer blame “lazy developers” for the PS3’s programming difficulties.  Sony deserves all the blame.

Article 3.8 –- Sony exaggerated the PS3’s graphical capabilities. 

Article 3.9 -- LittleBigPlanet’s sales were solid, but below Sony’s expectations.

Article 3.10 -- A completely reasonable person can find MSG4 to be obnoxious and annoying. 

I understand not everyone will agree with every single point, but I think this is a good compromise.  Feel free to sign the treaty and add any feedback.

Signatures

Ender

Version 1.1 Revisions

Article 3.7 –- The PS3’s interface is dour and ugly.

From Article 2.5 -- Console exclusives will

Around the Network

i wholeheartly agree with article 1.4 - 1.7

"Article 1.4 -- The Wii’s online service is awful"
Yep =/

edit: Upon further reading, there's a decent amount of fanboyism here

not sign

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Where is the rest of 2.5?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

@ Article 2.2

The Xbox 360 has won a few quite important battles, but not the war

Around the Network

Sorry but can't agree with:

Article 3.5 -- We no longer blame “lazy developers” for the PS3’s programming difficulties.  Sony deserves all the blame.

Article 3.7 –- The PS3’s interface is dour and ugly.

Article 3.8 –- Sony exaggerated the PS3’s graphical capabilities.  

Being a programmer myself there are alot of really bad lazy programmers out there, im not yet convinced PS3 programming is so difficult that good programmers couldn't get the job done just as well as any PC/X360 or Wii programmer could do.

The XBAR is the best interface of the three imo. So there you go.

I think the graphics thus far have hit the mark, now I am more than willing to concede that fanboy boasting that graphics is the be all end all and that wii capabilities were sure to doom it into obscurity were dumb exaggerations.

Edit:

You seem to be missing 3.6.

Also i'd be more than willing to concede an article

Article 3.6 -- PS3's blu-ray capabilities have hurt it more than helped it due to driving up the price.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I've never had a problem with article 1.7 and likewise 2.8, thus 3.2 sounds like a frivolous and fanboyish statement. You do not have my support.

Articles 1.5, 2.7, and 2.8 are complete bullshit. What is disapointing about the 360's DVD playback exactly? 2.7 I disagree with based purely on the wording. It is essentially a line built just to troll 360 fans that enter this topic. 1.5 is just absurd though. Super Smash Brother's Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, De Blob, No More Heroes, Guitar Hero and Rock Band released in much better forms, Wii Ware and all the fun games on it etc etc. The games released for Fall 08 are a bit underwhelming though admittedly. Wii had a very good line-up until the end.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Yea, from the OP its quite obvious you are a Microsoft Fan, but im not complaining considering I would admit that I am a fan of Sony.

"Article 1.4 -- The Wii’s online service is awful"

Not agreed. As Mario Kart Wii proves, the Wii can have great online games.

"Article 1.7 –- The Wii’s lack of dvd playback is disappointing."

No, I'd rather have Nintendo keeping the amount they'd spend on DVD royalties and invest it in something useful.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957