By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Says There Are No Plans for Further PlayStation

Jordahn said:
seece said:
lol You're just showing yourselves up to be fanboys saying you would give up gaming...

Not really.  People are hardcore towards a subject for certain reasons.  When those reasons are little to no avail, you can't be hardcore about something that's changed so much.  Between Nintendo and Microsoft, Nintendo would be the hardcore choice because Miyamato have always been consistant and catered to his fanbase.  And now the Wii has proven that developers cannot ignore it because of its rapidly growing userbase.  Always have "faith" in Nintendo.  The developers have made the mistake in ignoring it and so has the "hardcore" gamer (yes, hardcore is in quotes).

Nintendo gave the customers what they want, but they ignored the wishes of many of the developers and publishers. The developers responded by ignoring the Wii. Of course Sony/Microsoft failed to listen to the consumers as much as they needed to, and they were ignored when someone else did it better. The clear winner in the next generation will be the console maker to give the market what they want. If theres a clear winner in the next generation then its because they deserve to win and the others deserve to lose.

And from an industry point of view, many Xbox fanboys have quote "competition is good" not knowing that Microsoft is the worst of all evils in their consistant pro-monopoly/anti-competitve business stance as proven my numerous of court cases over the past ten plus years.  All public business have to appease the stockholders first, but you let Microsoft take over the console market, they will screw you, the developers, and potential competitors like they have in the PC industry.  Hey, they tried to buy Nintendo and get them to stop making hardware. 

There are also several examples of how they work well with others. For example they control Direct 3d, but instead of dictating the direction of the industry they work with developers and hardware makers. If you listen to some of the presentations they have a fair and cooperative mindset and they listen to what the developers and hardware makers want. They can be too cooperative sometimes, as seen with the Intel GPU/Vista ready debacle. Nintendo in this market hasn't dropped the price, thats an example of a monopolistic practice which all parties would succumb to, not just Microsoft.

Is that competition?  Nope.  As a hardcore gamer, I support the industry, not the dominance of a pro-monopoly/anti-competitve business.  Thank you SONY for initially pushing gaming into the mainstream, and thank you Nintendo for staying true to what gaming is all about.  I love the 360, but too bad it's not backed by another company who believes in competition.  Thank goodness for the sake of gaming that I see both Nintendo and SONY saying in this to give Micrsoft the competition they need.  I just hope the general public will learn and exercise this as well.

The market is always strongest when there is one clear leader. The industry itself has a natural monopolistic nature, because the one console that wins isn't always the one which is the best, but the one which wins the war on the ground and gathers the most momentum. This isn't a market where different telephone makers can co-exist, the three console players are three closed networks. Its like having 3 different telephone companies, but they cannot call each other. So in that market one telephone company will win a majority of consumers.

Tease.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Didnt the ps3 sell 400,000 consoles this week? Doesnt look like its failing to me

Yeah, and there are ~6.5+ billion people on Earth (not counting third-world countries or children, who cannot afford the console). It sounds like failing to me, when the other 2 (Wii and DS) are slaughtering the other two companies.

I once heard that the greatest weakness of any power is the power itself...it may be true, then, for what Sony is going through. The PS3 was like a glass cannon by my standards. It has a lot of power and potential, but marketing and price is what is causing it to suffer. That form of power that Sony has is unstable. They've created a machine with unlimited potential, but at the same cost they did not realize that the price and most of the games that cater for the console (mainly non-family centric) would cause it to not sell. And now with the global economy, things are going to get grim for them.

Naraku_Diabolos said:
colonelstubbs said:
Didnt the ps3 sell 400,000 consoles this week? Doesnt look like its failing to me

Yeah, and there are ~6.5+ billion people on Earth (not counting third-world countries or children, who cannot afford the console). It sounds like failing to me, when the other 2 (Wii and DS) are slaughtering the other two companies.

I once heard that the greatest weakness of any power is the power itself...it may be true, then, for what Sony is going through. The PS3 was like a glass cannon by my standards. It has a lot of power and potential, but marketing and price is what is causing it to suffer. That form of power that Sony has is unstable. They've created a machine with unlimited potential, but at the same cost they did not realize that the price and most of the games that cater for the console (mainly non-family centric) would cause it to not sell. And now with the global economy, things are going to get grim for them.

the wii didn't sell 6.5 billion either so it should be failing too.

400,000 for a console of it price its exceptional, even the wii wouldn't be able to sell  that much at the ps3. price.

HD TV sales sluggish??

wtf?

Sure..

mM
Jo21 said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
colonelstubbs said:

the wii didn't sell 6.5 billion either so it should be failing too.

400,000 for a console of it price its exceptional, even the wii wouldn't be able to sell  that much at the ps3. price.

Piss poor response, and overused.

A) If the Wii was $400 it would have a lot more in it, IE a blu ray player and HD graphics.

B) The Wii never has been $400 so you have no idea how it would of sold.

EDIT > My bad misread your quote, you probably think that anyway so I will leave it there ;)

Around the Network
leo-j said:
HD TV sales sluggish??

wtf?

Sure..

I live in Calgary which is one of the places where retail sales (seem to) have been impacted the least by the current economic downturn, and yet I have heard from several reliable people that most stores carried far less big ticket electronics products (like HDTVs) this year than they have in many years and they still have a larger unsold inventory then they ever have. I could be wrong, but I think it is a safe assumption that the number of people buying new TVs (except to replace broken TVs) is way down; which would result in HDTV sales being sluggish.

Squilliam said:

Nintendo gave the customers what they want, but they ignored the wishes of many of the developers and publishers. The developers responded by ignoring the Wii. Of course Sony/Microsoft failed to listen to the consumers as much as they needed to, and they were ignored when someone else did it better. The clear winner in the next generation will be the console maker to give the market what they want. If theres a clear winner in the next generation then its because they deserve to win and the others deserve to lose.

There are also several examples of how they work well with others. For example they control Direct 3d, but instead of dictating the direction of the industry they work with developers and hardware makers. If you listen to some of the presentations they have a fair and cooperative mindset and they listen to what the developers and hardware makers want. They can be too cooperative sometimes, as seen with the Intel GPU/Vista ready debacle. Nintendo in this market hasn't dropped the price, thats an example of a monopolistic practice which all parties would succumb to, not just Microsoft

The market is always strongest when there is one clear leader. The industry itself has a natural monopolistic nature, because the one console that wins isn't always the one which is the best, but the one which wins the war on the ground and gathers the most momentum. This isn't a market where different telephone makers can co-exist, the three console players are three closed networks. Its like having 3 different telephone companies, but they cannot call each other. So in that market one telephone company will win a majority of consumers.

The concept of a company "deserving to win" because of sales is false perception and total unfounded on truth.  This has never been the case since consumer perception and action doesn't always dictate the quality and value of a product and company intent for the consumer.

Doesn't matter because it still doesn't excuse Microsoft history and present actions.  As a company Microsoft has done both good and bad things.  But it doesn't change the fact that their business mentality has been pro-monopolist/anti-competitive as proven numerous times in a court of law.

Natural monopoly agree with as with what happened to Nintendo with the NES having 95% of marketshare, but with Microsoft it has been proven that this isn't the case with them.

We alll know you love Microsoft and the 360 here, and you are entitled to a preference with respect.  But let's not sugar coat their past history and common current trends for the sake of all industries and the consumers.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

wow, talk about jumping to conclusions. =) Mentioning PS4 at a time where PS3 needs a serious boost would be a bad idea. You wont hear about PS4 until at least 2011. If Sony is going 10 year with the PS3, they're going to wait at least to the halfway point in its existence before naming a successor, then releasing it another 2-3 years after, letting the PS3 live out its last 2-3 years along side the PS4, much how the PS2 has been doing.

It is kinda of sad that there is no PS4 in the future.

what the hell is up with all these anti PS3 bumps?
Have haters run out of new bad things?
Seriously, get over it.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral