By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Says There Are No Plans for Further PlayStation

bouzane said:
Sony will make another console once they realize that if they don't try so hard to fail they won't. If the PS4 isn't a multimedia center / trojan for expensive and unnecessary components and is instead an actual gaming system then it will succeed greatly.

It has been expressed by some analysists that the next console generation will not offer optical media storage.  This will be hard to phantom since games are getting bigger and bigger in size so the storage space is need by means of an optical media.  It's reasonable to say that SONY will be in a similar situation as Nintendo and Micrsoft now.  We know that Blu-ray is very expandable in regards to storage space.  What if by next gen, SONY can take advantage of "current" technology (Blu-ray in the future) instead of newer technology (whatever the next optical storage media will be by the time next gen comes around) to make the PS4 more relatively affordable then when compared to the PS3 two years ago?  And what are Microsoft and Nintendo going to use by then?  More then likely, all three will be no more even footing by then.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

Sony (and Microsoft) is facing a problem where their sales performance has started to cause rumors that they will be releasing a new console within a short period of time (under 2 years). Sony has to battle these rumors because few people are going to be willing to buy a gaming system (in particular an expensive gaming system) if they believe that it will soon be replaced by something better. Sony (probably) will remain in the videogame industry for one more generation (at least) and is currently working on their next generation system; after all it takes several years to design a system and game developers need a couple of years notice to produce games for the system's launch.

I think some folk read way much into things. What Sony have said is they intend this cycle to be longer. Microsoft are effectively now agreeing. This latest snippet implies that they expect it possibly to be longer again.

I do not see Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft in any rush to push out a console now or in the near future. Microsoft are not under the same pressure to release early now that they are building up a sizeable user base on the HD platform. Similarly Nintendo are unlikely to go headlong into a competition with Sony and Microsoft especially as they will likely come in with a console which will probably now be the most expensive.

The only thing I get from comments like this is that a new console is much further away than maybe was thought at the beginning of the cycles. Also Sony are keen to continue to push its current platform as are Microsoft. Microsoft will continue to add value bringing its console up to the Sony spec whilst Sony will continue to work on price. Nintendo on the other hand will improve the Wii incrementally and may even sneak into the HD revolution in a similar vain to the DSi sneaking in non backwards compatible features whilst still trying to convince everyone it is the same model.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
seece said:
axumblade said:

We should find a way to have a "top 10" Sony haters site. I think it would be amusing. Instead of tracking sales, they track insults of the console. :) I'm curious who would win on a weekly basis.

This week...I think Gebx would be number 1. But there are several who are up there in insults as well.

I don't think Gebx insults much at all ... just posts Sony news articals that get all the fanboys irate, he can't help it if most of the news about Sony these days are negative peices.

Gebx of late has been posting "news" articles from obscure and/or random outlets.

Posting stuff from IGN, 1UP, Gamespot is one thing, but posting news from random newspapers like the Minnesota Observer (or whatever) just screams of somebody googling for anti-Sony stuff.

Offource Sony will not make a PS4. But they are working on a new console, called the Pii that will cost $299 on launch.

It will be everything the PS3 is plus 20% plus Pii Remote x 2

Why 2 Pii remotes? Well N64 controller had an analogue stick, so sony did what? bring out a controler with dual analogue sticks.

Around the Network

lol fanboys.

You really dumb enough to expect them to talk up PS4 when they are just getting going on the PS3 and PS2 is still on the market ?

A little intelligence is not that hard ok, just a tad will go really far on here.

Ick. Good thing I got to enjoy gaming before "casual gaming" and the inevitable every-game-has-a-online-key-activation-requirement, that the Microsoft monopoly will someday bring to the table, takes over.

Sony isnt gonan leave the console market,if they did the entire market would crash...

If Sony left the VG market that would make me very happy indeed.

Completely misleading topic title. The quote the OP quoted didn't say anything about there not being a PS4. I can't believe I'm even posting in this thread, but oh well...

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*