By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Says There Are No Plans for Further PlayStation

LOLOLOLOL @ the comments of "Sony should leave the HD market to Microsoft!" ARE YOU GUYS INSANE @_@? DO YOU WANT THEM DOING TO VIDEO GAMES, WHAT THEY DID TO OS'S???? Microsoft can't build a console for shit!!!!

ANYWAYS!!!!

I predict that there might not be a playstation 4, but I will say for SURE that they're going to stay in the console business :P I'm imagining a "Sony something or other."

One of the problems I see with they're current strategy, is the vibe that's synonymous with "playstation", It's VERY game oriented, which is what all of us have come to love about it :P However, it's not getting they're multi-media functionality message across. I've tried explaining to my parents that the PS3 is one the best Blu-ray players on the market, and they respond with things like "Oh isn't that one of those gaming things for the kids?", well.. yes >_>;;; BUT it CAN do other things.

Then you have Sony's online store up and running with video's, music, and games, yet it's all classified under the "Playstation Store". Again with only one of the aspects of they're business being covered in the title.

Sony needs to put together a console that still does everything that's synonymous with "Sony", that appeals to mass market, and gives off an image that's more than just "Play".

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

i would actually love to see a new brand of sony consoles. as in, stepping away from the playstation brand. ps4 sounds tired.

For people saying there needs to be competition for any of the console makers to get their butts in gear and deliver awesome games. You're wrong.

Gaming isn't like the mobile cell phone business where if there was only one competitor the prices would be sky high, or like the OS business. Why? because those businesses are not luxury. they're a necessity to every day life, to businesses.

If Microsoft forced Sony AND Nintendo bout of the industry (for some insane unexplainable reason) they would still need to deliver top AAA games and make an effort, even if at any one time there isn't competition, if they fuck up its only around the corner. If the games were so appauling people wouldn't buy them.

And for those who think "well people would still buy the console, it would be the only one out, I need my games!" well what about the movie industry .... if good movies became extinct and all that came out was a load of crap would you go see it? no .. you would find something else to entertain you.

So in some ways I agree 2 console makers would not harm quality in games, however I like diversity and choice is good. But not at the expense of good games not selling.

NJ5 said:
If a PS4 comes out, it will have to be based on a totally different strategy from their previous consoles. Their strategy is based on them biggest the richest player, which isn't true any more.

SCE will either disappear or change radically before the next generation starts. Otherwise they're ensuring failure (unless their competitors screw up bad).

Nope if they will release it in next 2-3 years they must have BC to not piss exsisting userbase.

I suspect that they will release PS4 with faster cell CPU (with the die shrinks and process optimalisation it received it should be easy to increase it's running speed by a lot) and with the same architecture GPU (again faster and scaled up with more stream processors or whatever they call it in console version), and probably 1 or 2 gigs of ram.

That way programmable BC will be very easy to implement (or maybe even will be fully compatible without any efforts depending on their programming tools and languages they use)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Garnett said:
numonex said:
So PS3 might be the last Play Station by the sounds of things. Blu-Ray in the PS3 was a huge gamble and it has not worked out at all for Sony.

As someone said "PS3 was a living sacrifice for Blue-Ray"...

Not even the G-man can save teh PS3...

omg lol

I have never heard it put that way... That was great xD

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
NJ5 said:
If a PS4 comes out, it will have to be based on a totally different strategy from their previous consoles. Their strategy is based on them biggest the richest player, which isn't true any more.

SCE will either disappear or change radically before the next generation starts. Otherwise they're ensuring failure (unless their competitors screw up bad).

Nope if they will release it in next 2-3 years they must have BC to not piss exsisting userbase.

I suspect that they will release PS4 with faster cell CPU (with the die shrinks and process optimalisation it received it should be easy to increase it's running speed by a lot) and with the same architecture GPU (again faster and scaled up with more stream processors or whatever they call it in console version), and probably 1 or 2 gigs of ram.

That way programmable BC will be very easy to implement (or maybe even will be fully compatible without any efforts depending on their programming tools and languages they use)

In what way does your post disagree with mine? I'm talking about more important things than what CPU or GPU the PS4 may use.

Sony has always relied on 3rd party exclusives and being able to price their consoles below production cost in order to attract gamers. They can't continue doing that with Microsoft in the game, so they either have to change their strategy or leave the gaming market.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Prediciton:
There will be a Ps4 and it will be as powerful as possible for $299

seece said:
For people saying there needs to be competition for any of the console makers to get their butts in gear and deliver awesome games. You're wrong.

Gaming isn't like the mobile cell phone business where if there was only one competitor the prices would be sky high, or like the OS business. Why? because those businesses are not luxury. they're a necessity to every day life, to businesses.

If Microsoft forced Sony AND Nintendo bout of the industry (for some insane unexplainable reason) they would still need to deliver top AAA games and make an effort, even if at any one time there isn't competition, if they fuck up its only around the corner. If the games were so appauling people wouldn't buy them.

And for those who think "well people would still buy the console, it would be the only one out, I need my games!" well what about the movie industry .... if good movies became extinct and all that came out was a load of crap would you go see it? no .. you would find something else to entertain you.

So in some ways I agree 2 console makers would not harm quality in games, however I like diversity and choice is good. But not at the expense of good games not selling.

You should read something about PC GPU situation from last three years - there are 2 big producers when one of them dominated market for 2 years due to architucture diffrences it meant total stagnation in both gpu power and price till second producer managed to produce competitive product and started price war which reduced costs of gpus by 50% in less than year.

If we had only MS left into market what reason would they have to introduce next generation of consoles any time soon  if they could continue selling same x360 with amazing profit ?

Or if they were able to freely disctate contect of games (at this moment if one company doesn't allow product x on their platform there's a chance second one won't be as strict to mature content for example) ?

Then again perhaps I should wish for such scenario as that would be probably return of golden era of PC gaming.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

damb but its aight well c wats ^ with sony in 09 & 2010

The Fury said:
Talking about jumping the gun people, he does know, doesn't mean Sony doesn't know. And Whoever said it would be called 'Playstation'?

I see no reason for Sony to leave the console business yet. M$ didn't when they lost billions.

This needed repeating.  There may not be a Playstation 4 in development, but that doesn't mean there isn't another console in development.  Who knows, they could decide to call it the SuperHappyCellWidget 3000, but it's still going to be a successor to the PS3, regardless of what it's named.