By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Bioshock 2 possibly a timed exclusive?"

Kantor said:
Nah, I think it will be a same day release. PS3 gamers didn't want to pay 60 bucks for a game they could get for 30 bucks on 360/PC. If it had released at budget price, it would have sold a lot better. If it was a same day release, it would have sold a lot better.

I think BioShock taught them that timed exclusives are pointless, so I'm going to say same day release.

Take Two did timed exclusive with the 3 GTA games on PS2 when they could have sold more than they did on Xbox. Nothing different with Bioshock

Around the Network
Lurker said:
Kantor said:
Nah, I think it will be a same day release. PS3 gamers didn't want to pay 60 bucks for a game they could get for 30 bucks on 360/PC. If it had released at budget price, it would have sold a lot better. If it was a same day release, it would have sold a lot better.

I think BioShock taught them that timed exclusives are pointless, so I'm going to say same day release.

Take Two did timed exclusive with the 3 GTA games on PS2 when they could have sold more than they did on Xbox. Nothing different with Bioshock

And would have lowered PS2 sales drastically. Exclusives made the PS2 what it was.

sega4life said:
jetrii said:
Dodece said:
To be fair to Take 2 it might not be an issue of paid exclusivity, but I would applaud them if they were able to finagle it out of Microsoft. Why turn your nose up at free money after all. No it may be the delay station phenomena at play. Take 2 has a game they want to deliver to the market this year. Scratch that perhaps it is more like needs to deliver.

So perhaps the development difficulties renowned for plaguing the PS3 may ensure that the time table for a simultaneous release would have slipped into the next year. Faced with that possibility Take 2 may have had to made the decision to focus on building the game on one platform, and then port it to the other. So if it is a timed exclusive it may be a short timed exclusive three or six months perhaps.

I will not hold a company accountable for Sony having built a shitty console. They made it difficult to program for. Why should developers take the heat. Just something to think about. Sometimes exclusivity isn't bought sometimes its just a physical limitation. A two year turn around is rather short so its at least logical.

I dislike Sony as much as the next guy, but that's uncalled for. I may think Sony itself as a company is trash, but you have to give credit when credit is due. The PS3 is a very nice machine. It may not be what the market wants right now, they completely overhyped it, and their dev tools could use more work, but it is a nice machine nonetheless. Don't be a fanboy for either side.

You copied my Sig..... How dare you.... lol

Haha, sorry about that. I've been using this signature on other forums for years. You're the first person I've run across that has a similar one.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Lurker said:
Kantor said:

GTA: San Andreas sold 17 million copies on PS2 (I didn't make a typo O.O). That is amazing.

BioShock sold 2 million copies on 360. That's average at best.

17 million copies would easily pay for the development cost and make a ton of profit. 2 million wouldn't make nearly as much.

So basically, if a game sells 17 million on one console, it can stay timed exclusive, if 2 million, it should be same day release. If BioShock had sold, say, 7 million on the 360, would they have ported it to PS3? Absolutely not. It's worth noting that GTA has sold a little less as a PORT on the Xbox than BioShock has as an original game on the 360. BioShock is an incredible game, but games like that don't often sell well, they need all the help they can get, and a PS3 version should add at LEAST a million sales.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Lurker said:
Kantor said:

GTA: San Andreas sold 17 million copies on PS3. That is amazing.

17 million copies would easily pay for the development cost and make a ton of profit. 2 million wouldn't make nearly as much.

So basically, if a game sells 17 million on one console, it can stay timed exclusive, if 2 million, it should be same day release. If BioShock had sold, say, 7 million on the 360, would they have ported it to PS3? Absolutely not. It's worth noting that GTA has sold a little less as a PORT on the Xbox than BioShock has as an original game on the 360. BioShock is an incredible game, but games like that don't often sell well, they need all the help they can get, and a PS3 version should add at LEAST a million sales.

Sourcey or linky ... your choice

Around the Network

Obviously he meant PS2..

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=grand+theft+auto:+san+andreas&console=PS2&region=All&developer=&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

dont forget that by having bioshock 2 in the news it will boost sales of the first game on all platforms, especially ps3 as the price will come down, they will have room, and there are a lot of them that likely still want it.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Kantor said:
Lurker said:
Kantor said:

GTA: San Andreas sold 17 million copies on PS3. That is amazing.

True but it seems a lot of people are changing this into a console game...Last I remember this is more of a PC franchise, and looks better on PC with DX10 and without DX10 PC still owns it. I'm surprised PC gamers aren't bitching about how Bioshock 2 is starting to turn into Console war ammo.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Sure... Then port it to a PS3 a year after and feel sorry for the damn sales. I mean seriously... Late ports are never good to begin with. Porting a game from a bigger userbase to a smaller one a year after is stupid.

If MS is moneyhatting, forget it. They will opt for the sure money NOW to help them dig out of this financial mess.