By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Bioshock 2 possibly a timed exclusive?"

http://www.n4g.com/News-248586.aspx

"Take Two has just announced it's software line up for the rest of the 2009 fiscal year, ending October 31, 2009. Among the titles listed lies Bioshock 2, sequel to the 2007 blockbuster hit. An interesting side note, however, is that the platform its listed for is to be announced, making it the only game Take Two has listed without a confirmed platform. Is it possible that Bioshock 2 could once again be a timed exclusive for either platform?"

This is a tricky one, the PS3 version has had dier sales, it was a few weeks ago the 360 version started outselling the PS3 version. I can only imagine thats because it was out a year late. But why would that stop people from picking it up? So Bioshock 2 hits the stores, a LOT of Bioshock 1 360 owners will pick it up, but where is the fanbase on the PS3 version? Why would a PS3 buyer buy the second but not the first?

8 Weeks on the market PS3. 23,102 / 210,645

68 Weeks on the market 360 29,004 / 2,117,086

I don't think this is a case of PS360 owners buying for the 360 and not the PS3. The gap is far to large!

So maybe Take 2 accepted an offer from Microsoft as timed Exclusive? They know they can probably sell 4+ million if its good on the 360 alone. Thoughts?

Around the Network
seece said:

http://www.n4g.com/News-248586.aspx

"Take Two has just announced it's software line up for the rest of the 2009 fiscal year, ending October 31, 2009. Among the titles listed lies Bioshock 2, sequel to the 2007 blockbuster hit. An interesting side note, however, is that the platform its listed for is to be announced, making it the only game Take Two has listed without a confirmed platform. Is it possible that Bioshock 2 could once again be a timed exclusive for either platform?"

This is a tricky one, the PS3 version has had dier sales, it was a few weeks ago the 360 version started outselling the PS3 version. I can only imagine thats because it was out a year late. But why would that stop people from picking it up? So Bioshock 2 hits the stores, a LOT of Bioshock 1 360 owners will pick it up, but where is the fanbase on the PS3 version? Why would a PS3 buyer buy the second but not the first?

8 Weeks on the market PS3. 23,102 / 210,645

68 Weeks on the market 360 29,004 / 2,117,086

I don't think this is a case of PS360 owners buying for the 360 and not the PS3. The gap is far to large!

So maybe Take 2 accepted an offer from Microsoft as timed Exclusive? They know they can probably sell 4+ million if its good on the 360 alone. Thoughts?

No..how about the case of PS3 owners not willing to pay $59.99 for a game that's a year old?  That's the reason I didn't buy it, and I wanted to.  I'm not paying todays price for yesterdays games.

If it releases on both consoles at the same time, you'll see WAY better sales from the PS3 version.  The 360 will probably still outsell it, because for one they already have a fan base there and two, theres a couple million more 360's out there.

Timed exclusive on this title would be a horrible idea...this same exact scenario would play itself out - it'd sell well on 360, and a year later when it comes to PS3, no one is going to want it.  I'd rather they just make it exclusive to 360 if they're going to release it a year later at full price on the PS3.

i just want teh game....need my rapture

P.S. This thread doesn't belong in the Microsoft Discussion forum..it should be in the Gaming Discussion forum.

The platform is probably TBA because they have an unannounced Wii version in development.

Around the Network

If it is a timed exclusive, its obviously much more likely to be for 360 instead of PS3. As we know, Microsoft loves shelling out money for that stuff.

That said, I almost wish it was a PS3 timed exclusive even though im a 360 owner. Whatever will help PS3 owners pick up both it and the original is a good thing, because this is a franchise and world that deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible, and x360 owners are probably more likely to pick it up anyway, given their exposure to it.

WiiStation360 said:
The platform is probably TBA because they have an unannounced Wii version in development.

Yeah, the success of Call of Duty World at War inspired them.

Well timed or even console exclusive is possible. Well as a 360 owner, I will get this game anyway. 3-4 million is possible for this game as a 360 exclusive.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

polezo said:
If it is a timed exclusive, its obviously much more likely to be for 360 instead of PS3. As we know, Microsoft loves shelling out money for that stuff.

That said, I almost wish it was a PS3 timed exclusive even though im a 360 owner. Whatever will help PS3 owners pick up both it and the original is a good thing, because this is a franchise and world that deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible, and x360 owners are probably more likely to pick it up anyway, given their exposure to it.

Kudos!   That's probably the most unbiased response to a thread since i joined this site. You are a True Gamer indeed. As as PS3 owner i will buy the 1st part of Bioshock but like the previous response i'm not willing to pay 59.99 for it. Especially this time of year with the games released over the last 2 months.

Me wants fair treatment for the console master race. ;_;

Tease.

To be fair to Take 2 it might not be an issue of paid exclusivity, but I would applaud them if they were able to finagle it out of Microsoft. Why turn your nose up at free money after all. No it may be the delay station phenomena at play. Take 2 has a game they want to deliver to the market this year. Scratch that perhaps it is more like needs to deliver.

So perhaps the development difficulties renowned for plaguing the PS3 may ensure that the time table for a simultaneous release would have slipped into the next year. Faced with that possibility Take 2 may have had to made the decision to focus on building the game on one platform, and then port it to the other. So if it is a timed exclusive it may be a short timed exclusive three or six months perhaps.

I will not hold a company accountable for Sony having built a shitty console. They made it difficult to program for. Why should developers take the heat. Just something to think about. Sometimes exclusivity isn't bought sometimes its just a physical limitation. A two year turn around is rather short so its at least logical.