By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - BruceOnGames:"The Wii bubble could very well burst" (in the recession)+more

I thought journalists had finally moved past the whole "Wii is a fad" thing. I guess some people are slow to catch on.

Around the Network

I don't think this really counts as journalism. Not by any standards involving integrity, bias minimization, or fact-focusing, anyway.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Has Bruce ever been right on anything?

badgenome said:
bazmeistergen said:

Oh dear!

If the recession starts hitting Nintendo sales then they reduce the price.

They certainly have far more room to wiggle waggle than Sony and Microsoft.

Game Over BruceOnGames.

Fixed.

Hehe. Nice one.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

NJ5 said:

Oh, he also has a whole article from December 15th about why the Wii bubble could well burst (apparently this is the last big Christmas for the Wii... I wonder what a non-big Christmas looks like?):

http://www.bruceongames.com/2008/12/15/will-the-wii-bubble-now-finally-burst/

For two years now analysts have been predicting the imminent demise of the Wii. They have become a bit quiet recently as it chalks up ever more amazing sales success. Yet there are a few reasons why what we are seeing now is the end of the boom.

* Any bubble bursts just as it reaches its biggest size. And the Wii is now selling in massively unsustainable numbers. It just cannot go on.
* The penetration of HDTVs has increased massively over the last two years. Thus cruelly exposing the Wii’s last generation graphics to far more people.
* The Xbox 360 is cheaper.
* The Xbox 360 is a huge amount better than the Wii. It has far more games and vastly more good games. And it has Live, by far the best online gaming portal. Gradually the public will come round to understanding these realities.
* The Wii has a very weak game library. The first party games, a few good third party games. Then lots of dross shovelware. And game consoles are for playing games.
* Nintendo have now rolled out all their great and famous properties on the Wii. So they have very few places left to go for the stream of AAA titles needed to sustain a platform.
* The Wii is not making much money for many publishers so they are voting with their feet and allocating their resources to platforms that will make them money.
* Most of the Wii customer base is the very casual “toy” market. They will be very fickle as they move onto the next “must have” trend. The Wii will become tired.
* Money is getting a lot tighter as the world tips into recession. Casual frippery, like most Wii purchases, will be an early casualty.
* Most people likely to buy a Wii already have. In terms of market penetration Nintendo are now going to suffer from the law of diminishing returns.

So there we have it. Plenty of reasons why the Wii must eventually face the inevitable. And because the boom has been so massive the collapse of sales will be equally dramatic. And when will this be? Let’s put it this way, we are experiencing the last big Christmas for the Wii.

That entire thing was horrible (apart from the cheaper 360, actually true), but those bolded parts are hysterical.  Nintendo's out of franchises?  And how on Earth does he know everyone's that wanted a Wii has gotten one?  They sell out everywhere, so I might think that indicates there are more who would want it.  XD

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network

Yeah, Bruce has been one of the most consistent critics of the Wii since its launch. He's unflappable.

I particularly love his explanation of why the Wii can't continue selling like it is: he says that it's selling so much that it can't possibly keep it up. "It just cannot go on," he says. Excellent analysis there, buddy. I hope I end up being an analyst like you.

Q: How will the Wii do in the future?
A: Its sales will slow way down.
Q: Why is that?
A: Because it's selling so well right now. It can't keep that up.
Q: That doesn't answer my question. Why is going to stop selling so well? Why can't it "keep it up?"
A: It just cannot.
Q: That still doesn't answer my question. Why can it not continue to sell well?
A: I already told. What are, an idiot? Are you stupid or something? It cannot continue to sell well. It just can't.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

wii.. cut price? hahahahahhahahahahahaha(multiply that by another "n" haha's)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

He is clearly a legend.

After the all the DS stopped selling after... hold on.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Does bruce ever stop?

I certainly hope that was a joke article. If not, then this poor fellow is the very embodiment of the sort of "hardcore gamer" stereotype that is so delightful to mock.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.